“Great Choice for LAX Hotel” 4 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Choice Privileges Points
Ranked #3 of 10 hotels in Hawthorne
Cedar Rapids, Iowa
“Great Choice for LAX Hotel”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed 4 days ago NEW

We stayed here the night we flew in and then again on the night before we flew out. At first it seemed in an area that was not too good, but it is very safe. There are a lot of hotels in the area and this one is at the end of a dead end street/cul-de-sac.

The hotel has a great parking garage that is easy to navigate and safe w/ keycode gate that is right beside the hotel.

We stayed on the 3rd floor and 2nd floor. Are rooms were very nice. We had a full size frig and microwave over the range with a cooktop. We really did not use any of this.

The staff was nice and helpful. They gave us the phone number to a really good pizza place near by.

When we booked, they only had kings. So we got a king and roll away. We have not gotten a roll away before, but it worked great. In the king room we still had plenty of room for the roll away.

The breakfast was good. Usual food.

The shuttle worked great. We left at 4 AM and had no problem. They do share a shuttle w/ other hotels, so give yourself plenty of time to get to the airport. We only drove to one other location, but the shuttle was full with several groups. Also, if you have multiple bags and few people, this could be a hassle. It would be nice if they would have the shuttle come down in front of the hotel, but you have to walk a short block to get to it. It is safe, but still hard w/ multiple bags.

What I liked about the hotel, was it was safe and secure and the rooms were clean. The staff was enjoyable and answered any questions. Also, the foliage around the walkway and pool was very nice.

What I did not like or would need to think about again. I had my mom with me and for an elderly person, it was a hassle to walk around the pool and catch the elevator. I would try to get a first floor room or handicap accessible if she was coming w/ me. She did ok, but we had to take three turns to get to the elevator with multiple bags. Also, the turn off for the hotel is not a main street, so we missed the turn twice (probably driver error).

I think this hotel was great. I would stay here again. Book early, both nights we stayed, they were full.

Room Tip: Try to get a room that is on the main level if you have problem getting around. Both times we stayed...
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled with family
CHC-GR, Guest Relations Manager at Comfort Inn Cockatoo Near LAX Airport, responded to this review, yesterday
Dear Debbie S,
Thank you for taking the time to post a review about your recent stay at the Comfort Inn Cockatoo. I am glad that you enjoyed our comfortable large clean rooms and you had a chance to try our delicious morning breakfast. Your feedback encourages our team members to work even harder to consistently delight our guests. Thank you again for your review and we hope to have an opportunity to welcome you back again soon.

460 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (69)
Swansea, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 1 week ago

We stayed here for a night before flying home from LAX. We had a hire car so the free parking was very attractive as hotels closer to the airport charge high prices for overnight parking.
The hotel was great, professional and friendly staff in reception welcomed us before we found our room on the third floor. The corridors of the hotel are dressed to a high standard with good decoration throughout.
The room itself was great, spacious despite two beds in the room with a desk and chair and a kitchenette area complete with huge fridge and microwave. The bathroom was large and spacious too, and all linens throughout were of a good standard. There is free wifi available in the room too.
The hotel has a safe and secure three storey carp park next door which was reassuring.
Nearby has several fast food outlets as well as a Walgreens down the road for supplies.
We had a great stay and would've been happy to stay much longer, we couldn't think of any negatives.

Stayed August 2014, traveled with friends
Dear Mavs801,
We very much appreciate you taking the time to share your experience with our fellow travelers. Your feedback will serve as encouragement to all of our staff as we strive to continuously improve the quality of our services to provide an exceptional experience for our guests. It is always a pleasure to receive positive feedback. Thank you again for sharing your experience, and we hope your next visit will be even more pleasant than the previous one.
pocho509
4 of 5 stars Reviewed 1 week ago

We stayed for a day and it turned into a few days. The staff did a great job of keeping us in the same room even though we had to keep checking daily. This place is super booked! Clean and very secure. I will definitely stay again. Family lives close so we will definitely return. Erica at the front desk was awesome, professional and super helpful.

Stayed July 2014
Dear pocho509,
Thank you so much for such a wonderful review! My staff and I are all very grateful for such fantastic feedback about our service and accommodations. All departments - from housekeeping, maintenance to front desk and breakfast personnel - work incredibly hard to create a warm and memorable experience for every guest.
Thank you for inspiring us to do even better.
Indonesia
2 of 5 stars Reviewed 2 weeks ago

I have to agree with previous reviews that the shuttle service is a real problem. The hotel neighborhood feels unsafe and I wouldn't think of leaving the hotel. We had to walk the block from the shuttle drop off place to the hotel. I had six suitcases and three young children. It was terrible. For this alone I would not stay here again. The shuttle driver was grumpy until I promised to tip him to help me transport the bags to the hotel. The shuttle was empty, it was the middle of the night and he was unwilling to drive the block to drop us off. Totally unacceptable. I took a taxi back to the airport so I wouldn't have to take the shuttle again; a loss of value for the hotel. I also had to take the suitcases a long distance from the hotel lobby to our room via the small path by the pool. Pool is small and fenced in, surrounded by the tall walls of the hotel; not nice but it did look clean. The room was a good size, clean, good tv channels and generally did the job. Hallway/elevator were in good repair and not smelly. I chose this hotel based on price but I don't think the hotel provides value even though the price is low.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled with family
CHC-GR, Guest Relations Manager at Comfort Inn Cockatoo Near LAX Airport, responded to this review, 1 week ago
Dear Live_frm_AsiaPac,
Thank you for not only staying with us but also for taking the time to share your experience. I want to take this opportunity and kindly apologize for the issues you encountered regarding the shuttle service. We greatly appreciate any feedback from our valued guests, like you, as it gives us opportunities to monitor and improve our service. We hope to have another opportunity to provide you with superior service and accommodations the next time your travels bring you to the Los Angeles area.
Tucson
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 14, 2014

It started with Choice hotel shuttle driver who dropped my sister and I half a block from hotel and told us we would have to walk, carrying the four suitcases by ourselves! When I complained to the manager, he said "What do you expect me to do about it?"
Then we saw our room: Four large, dark stains on the rug and a repugnant smell. The nearby hotels were filled so we couldn't change. When we complained, manager gave us another room.
This room looked drab and uninviting but I checked the sheets and said we had no other choice. YOU have a choice - don't stay here!

Room Tip: Two Restaurants were a two block walk in very seedy neighborhood - Felt unsafe. Tip to help travele...
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled with friends
CHC-GR, Guest Relations Manager at Comfort Inn Cockatoo Near LAX Airport, responded to this review, 5 weeks ago
Dear Suguaro,
Thank you very much for taking time to post a review about your stay. We strive to provide every guest with above average experience. Needless to say, I'm less than thrilled to hear that your stay was not superb. I would like to take the opportunity and kindly apologize for the issues you encountered during your stay. I have forwarded your comments to Housekeeping and Engineering departments for preventative maintenance, and once again my sincere apologies for the issues. If you find yourself in the area again, we hope to have the honor of serving you.
Quincy, Massachusetts
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 14, 2014

Comfort Inn is in the corner of their "hotel village" (three hotels, Holiday Inn, Hampton, and Comfort Inn groups together as a small village), so they looks up graded and very safe to stay. Parking is very convenient and safety. Shuttle bus taking care of you back and forth between the hotels and LAX airport is also very convenient. We love those conveniences. Comfort Inn is little old but they tries their best to keep it clean and comfortable for all their customers. Bathroom was clean, beds were clean which was very important to us. There was no problem for us either arrival or departure. Breakfast was OK but we had no complain. One down thought was we had to go through a small pathway, quite a distance, pass a pool with lot of people to get to our room from the lobby...For overall, we had a good and comfortable time to stay at Comfort Inn Cockatoo near LAX airport.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled with family
Dear Ngoc-Ha N,
Thank you for taking time to post a review on TripAdvisor. I'm delighted to hear you enjoyed your overall stay. Though we are not the newest hotel in the area, you can always rely on our wonderful service and clean and comfortable accommodations. We hope to welcome you back the next time your travels bring you to the Hawthorne area.
San Francisco, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 12, 2014

I book a room at this hotel every year for a week for the first week of July.
Unfortunately, this year the double rooms were booked out so I could only stay for 1 night at most.

Now that I'm done with the preface, let's get this review started.
When finally arriving and checking in at around midnight, the front desk associate could not have been any more pleasant. He was so nice and informed us of every thing without skipping a beat and sounded and looked as if he really cared and was there to provide us with a great service.

The rooms are spacious and clean and parking is free.
Now, seeing as how I've stayed here multiple times in the past, why wait till now to write a review?
I'm not exactly going into detail about the hotel itself but the service I recieved was so great that I'm dedicating this review to him. It was midnight so my party and I were tired which meant, unfortunately, we did not get his name but in all my years... he was that pro.

Needless to say I'll be booking this hotel next July once again.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled with friends
CHC-GR, Guest Relations Manager at Comfort Inn Cockatoo Near LAX Airport, responded to this review, July 14, 2014
Dear Phil D,
Thank you so very much for your generous compliments and for sharing your positive experience with our fellow travelers. My staff and I truly appreciate the recognition. We work hard to make each and every guests stay a fantastic experience and one to remember. I am so happy to hear that we have been able to make your stay with us here at Comfort Inn Cockatoo so enjoyable. We look forward to welcoming you back next July.

Been to Comfort Inn Cockatoo Near LAX Airport? Share your experiences!