Recently we needed a stopover hotel near LAX for the first and last night of a trip we were taking. This is the one we chose as we have generally been happy with stops at Comfort Inns and this one had a shuttle to and from the airport.
We had to call the hotel on arrival at LAX to request a shuttle . This was no problem. The shuttle arrived promptly and the trip to the hotel was smooth.
Then the issues arose.
The shuttle driver advised us that although there were fast food places nearby it wasn't safe after dark in the streets around the hotel -- MC D was just across the street and we were arriving at 10pm having not eaten iin hours. When we got to the room it seemed fine and clean but within about half an hour of settling down to sleep I became il -- nausea, couldn't breathe.
Next morning I skipped the free breakfast as I was still feeling unwell but others said it was quite good and had variety.
Two weeks later ( Oct 31 Halloween ) we checked in again at the end of our trip during which time I'd felt perfectly fine. Again, a different shuttle driver , talked about how the hotel is just in an area where it is on the cusp of being safe/unsafe at night. We settled in early afternoon after a long flight and we needed sleep. Again after about 30 minutes I was ill again. Around 6 we needed food and the furthest I could walk was the MC D across the street. There was a lady in the carpark of Mc D who was negotiating business that had nothing to do with Halloween. In the restaurant we were approached at our table by a wildeyed and dischevelled character and we felt uncomfortable and left.
Next morning we returned to LAX and I started feeling OK.
Having described my symptoms to a local Dr here the suggestion was that perhaps I'd had a bad reaction to the chemicals used to spray a bed/room for bedbugs.
I don't know but for sure between that and the safety issues we will choose another place next time
- Also Known As:
- Comfort Inn Cockatoo Hotel Hawthorne
- Comfort Inn Cockatoo Hotel
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- The Comfort Inn® Cockatoo Near LAX Airport is four miles from Los Angeles International Airport and offers free airport shuttle service. This Hawthorne, CA hotel provides easy access to major freeways like the 405 and 105, and is minutes from a number of local points of interest. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Hotels.com, Priceline, Expedia, Orbitz, Cheap Tickets, Choice Hotels, Agoda, Olotels, Otel, Venere, Tingo, Fareportal and HotelsClick so you can book your Comfort Inn Cockatoo Near LAX Airport reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.