“Late dinner” 5 of 5 stars

Improve this listing
Ranked #2 of 115 Restaurants in Hawthorne
Cuisines: French, American
Dining options: Reservations
Description: Matisse Restaurant in Manhattan Beach offers delicious American cuisine infused with rich European flavor. Breakfast, lunch or dinner. The diverse menus will fill your day with freshness, tickle your palate and satisfy your fine tastes with quality.The culinary talents of Corporate Executive Chef Sherie DiBernardo coupled with the Culinary Group's management expertise have made Matisse a premier restaurant in Los Angeles.Gourmet, The Magazine of Good Living rates it as "one of the best restaurants of Southern California" and compliments us on a menu that "offers an excellent selection".Lavish events such as weddings and corporate functions, as well as small socials held at Matisse leave a lasting impression on your guests. Our catering services for events add a touch of class to any special occasions.Matisse Restaurant Manhattan Beach offers you:Fine dining: Treat yourself, family members, associates or special guest to fine wines, exquisite culinary creations in an elegant and friendly atmosphere.Exceptional catering: Events catered by our renowned chefs and dedicated staff draw praise no matter what venue or how big or small your guest list. Variety and artistic presentations satisfy even the most discerning palate.Memorable weddings: Delicious food, themed settings and detailed attention give shape to your dream wedding and create picture-perfect memories.Impressive corporate events: Conferences and client meetings held on our premises never fail to impress. The right ambiance and royal treatment are absolute deal clinchers.
El Cajon, California
“Late dinner”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 30, 2014

The food and the service were great. They went out of their way to please us. We would definitely recommend this restaurant.

• Visited April 2014
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food

Boise, Idaho
“Great Happy Hour”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 29, 2014

Small menu, but good food choices. Staff is super friendly.... I loved it and will definitely go back for the happy hour.

Portland, Oregon
“Fancy yet convenient”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 22, 2014

Hotel restaurant, surprisingly good food, excellent service. Convenient. Good variety on menu. Prices are very reasonable.

Lewes, Delaware
“Good food convenient to hotel”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 17, 2014

I had breakfast here only and it was very good. It was adjacent to the Ayres Hotel which was very convenient. Service was good.

Visited June 2014
“Never made it past the door...”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 31, 2014

I called to make reservations at Matisse last week and, after reading so many great TA reviews, was very excited to get our reservation for 6pm on Saturday. Midweek, I received a call from Michael, who left a voicemail, asking me to call him back regarding my reservation. I returned his call that evening and was told by the person answering the phone that Michael was not available, but that they were sure that he was calling to confirm my reservation. I did not receive any further communication from the restaurant staff.
When we arrived for our reservation, the gentleman at the host stand immediately informed me that our reservations had been cancelled due to a private party at the restaurant, and that we could dine at the bar if we like. I asked my mother if she would like to, and we both agreed that would be fine, though we were disappointed that this had not been communicated earlier. At this, the host insisted on showing us the note that said that Michael had called and left a message to relay this info...when I said no, I had returned his call and no such information was given, the host continued to pretty much argue that I got a phone call so, I must have been aware. At this point I decided not to dine with Matisse, and here is why:
When you are restaurant of a certain caliber, one does not argue with the guest and most definitely does not make the guest feel blamed for the problem. Also, this was a major communication issue and follow through on the part of the restaurant staff...if they can't manage their reservations, how are they going to manage the rest of our service.
This was so disappointing, as we were truly looking forward to our dining experience here.