“Nice hotel, ridiculous credit card policy.” 2 of 5 stars

2.5 of 5 Hotel   |   12441 Carson Street, Hawaiian Gardens, CA 90716   |
Hotel deals
Certificate of Excellence 2014
Mesa, Arizona
“Nice hotel, ridiculous credit card policy.”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 6, 2011

My fiancé and I stayed here from 12/31/10 to 01/05/11. We were told at check-in (but not before) that it is their policy to hold the cost of the stay on a credit card upon checking in, and then to actually charge a separate amount upon checking out. Basically this means that for a $400 stay, $800 will be tied up on your credit card until the original hold clears, sometime after checkout. I was very upset about this, because I had not budgeted for double the amount of our hotel costs and could not afford that much of our vacation money to be tied up. It was after midnight on New Year's Eve, however, and there was no way we'd get another room anywhere else, so we paid for the room on a debit card. I hadn't planned to use that card for the hotel and the financial juggling I will have to do because of this is hugely inconvenient. We have reservations to stay at this hotel again in April (which I had made prior to actually staying there), but I will be cancelling them because of the credit card hold policy. Other than this major inconvenience, the stay wasn't too bad. This hotel is clean and well-appointed. The room had everything we needed and more. The bathroom floor had not been swept prior to our arrival (there were hairs on the floor that weren't from us), but other than that, everything was very clean. The bed was very comfortable, although I would have liked more blankets. We did request and were given an extra blanket. Every time we returned to our room in the evening, the heat had been turned off, so the room was cold when we got in. There was a lot of thumping going on at all hours of the night which sounded like people running up and down the halls. The doors also slam very loudly. The breakfast was a huge disappointment. There was a wide selection of food, but most of it wasn't very good. The hash browns were cold, the eggs tasted bad and had a horrible texture, and the sausage was cold and tasted like something other than meat. The yogurt tasted like aspartame. The orange juice tasted like it had gone bad the week before and the coffee was TERRIBLE. The doughnuts were good, and there was cereal. There were waffles, but I never got any because there were too many people trying to use the waffle maker. Overall, the hotel itself is nice enough, just skip the breakfast and either budget double the cost on your credit card or be prepared to pay with a debit card.

• Stayed January 2011, traveled as a couple
lqinnhawaiiangardens, Webmaster at La Quinta Inn & Suites Hawaiian Gardens, responded to this review, June 29, 2011
Dear Guest,

Thank you for choosing La Quinta Inn & Suites Hawaiian Gardens for your recent stay in our area.

Thank you for taking the time to give us a review, it is very much appreciated. Upon receipt of your review, the following steps were taken:

1) Management was approached about the possibility of a better way of charging, rather than tying up double the cost.

2) Breakfast staff received additional training concerning serving a proper breakfast.

3) Management was approached about the possibility of seeing that the rooms are kept heated at a reasonable temperature when assigned to guests.

4) Management was reminded of their responsibility to see to it that our valued guests remember to be thoughtful of their fellow guests.

I hope that the next time you visit our area, you will once again choose to stay at La Quinta Inn & Suites Hawaiian Gardens. I think you will be greatly pleased.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (19)
Las Vegas, NV/Oregon Coast
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 15, 2010

We travel a lot with our dogs and always stay at La Quinta because of their great dog policy. We don't expect much and usually the La Quintas we've stayed at are a notch above a Motel 6. Not this one! Everything was clean, clean, clean. The property is obviously new, the halls still smelled like fresh paint. I just wish all the La Quinta properties were as nice as this one.

• Stayed December 2010, traveled as a couple
Cypress, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 3, 2010

My family and i went to this hotel for a couple of days just to get away. we love this hotel. rooms were very clean and so was the bathroom. breakfast was good.people were nice. i will recommend this hotel to friends and family. very close to alot of shops and resturants and fwy.

• Stayed November 2010, traveled with family
Carlsbad, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 19, 2010

The La Quinta in Hawaiian Gardens, CA. is really nice. It's very clean, the Sunrise breakfast is excellent, friendly service, great location, and best of all it's pet friendly w/no extra charges. The parking is plentiful and the hotel is easy access to the 605 and Long Beach is right down the road. I have been to many hotels in that general area and this hotel is by far the best. I highly recommend this hotel to anyone. Thank You La Quinta.

• Stayed November 2010, traveled as a couple
Cypress, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 18, 2010

I've stayed at a lot of hotels but this is my number one choice. It is very homey very quiet and relaxing I stay at la Quinta every other week for work and I always get great rates and very friendly staff.. I also never have any problems or complains when staying at LQ very exceptional !!! I always leave very happy and satisfied !!! Thank you LQ!!

• Stayed November 2010, traveled on business
Boston
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 27, 2010

I stayed twice during Oct 2010 - first time for 11 days and second for 1 day only. The location is 1 mile away from 605 after passing the casino. The area is mostly industrial and low-end commercial. I would not walk, just drive. The hotel is almost new - that is the good thing. The included breakfast was OK for one or two days, but nothing changes, so becomes really boring. The rooms are very clean, but the thin walls help to hear all noises from other rooms and from the closing doors. I had a problem with the pet smell - the second time I stayed here I had to check out after 1 day. Although I requested a a quiet room without previous pets in, they gave me a room where the week before had two dogs - I changed room with the only other room available - a first floor that was noisy. I think they should have non-pet room the same way other hotels have non-smoking rooms and guarantee that if the traveler chooses so. I would not stay again.

• Stayed October 2010, traveled on business
Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to give us a review, it is very much appreciated. Upon receipt of your review, the following action was taken:

• Management was approached about your suggestion of non-pet rooms. I think that is a great idea.

Newton Abbot, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 22, 2010

This was my first time at a La Quinta and apart from one of the reception staff and the woman doing the breakfast I was very impressed. The rooms are clean modern and very comfortable. I booked two king rooms, my wife, fourteen year old daughter and myself had one room but there were no sleeping facilities for my daughter. I was expecting a sofa bed or rollaway. I went back to reception and the Lady made a big deal about changing the room to two doubles and charged me an extra $10 a night. The breakfast was ok, not as good as Holiday Inn Express. Again the miserable sow who was keeping the breakfast stocked or not should I say was more interested in packing up early or getting her own food. Good location for getting around LA. We stayed here for four nights and would stay again.

• Stayed October 2010, traveled with family

Been to La Quinta Inn & Suites Hawaiian Gardens? Share your experiences!