“Well worth the drive” 4 of 5 stars

Dining options: Lunch, Dessert, Late Night
Clovis CA
“Well worth the drive”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 28, 2010

Yummy Ice cream and huge so bring someone along to share the joy!! Sandwiches are good too but look like they can be made at home with the same ingredients. Service is not that great but food comes fast!!

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food

HANFORD, CALIFORNIA
“the service is shameful and the management is to blame”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 15, 2010

Hello
I am a Hanford native that grew up going to Superior Dairy and remember the standard of customer service from my childhood. Yesterday I brought a bay area colleague to enjoy the wonderful ice cream of my youth. We decided to take a booth and order food as well. I watched the son-law of the original owners look at us sit down at a booth, without so much as a smile or hello. The children(staff) were all standing in a group with their backs to the customers laughing, touching their hair and face while playing with a yo-yo that periodically landed on the counter tops. After waiting for a long time and attempting to get their attention, after realizing that no one was going to acknowledge our presence or offer us service, I called superior dairy on my cell phone while seated at our booth. The girl with the yo-yo answered, while the son-law manager looked directly at me talking to his staff on the phone. He told her to turn around and she looked over at us and hung up the phone. The son-law (manager) did not apologize or make one comment to us. He simply turned his back to us once more. The girl with the yo-yo walked over and had the nerve to say "has anyone taken your order?" If someone had taken our order or acknowledge or presence, I really wouldn't have felt the need to call on my cell phone. Sad, sad, sad, to what has happened to the memory of superior dairy of my youth. Yes, the ice cream is great, but the management, staff(children), cleanliness, and customer service is a disgusting disgrace.
Stephanie

• 1 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Pismo Beach, California
“I still drive hours to get a Superior Dairy Chocolate Ice Cream Cone”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 9, 2009

This is the absolutely best ice cream I've ever had in my life. The chocolate is such a dark color I have no idea what makes it so superbly chocolate, but it's incredible. The interesting flavors like pumpkin and lemon and maple walnut are all fantastic. Oh, but fresh strawberry is to die for! It's a rich thick ice cream made on the premises for decades and decades. And the size of their scoops is CRAZY! Don't be misled by the prices because one scoop is bigger than a B&R 3 scoop! I kid you not! When people get two scoops you can hear them ooohhing and aaahhhing and then trying to get the server to STOP! Their restaurant can be busy often but the tri-tip sandwich is always hit. But for me, just get me to a two-scoop chocolate cone!

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
San Jose, California
“It's not the best!”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 6, 2009

Traveled by the Amtrack train with family to go to Superior Dairy. In Hanford, this is probably the only ice cream store that I saw. Service of the employees is what really is a huge dislike about the Superior Dairy. It is filled with all teenagers who do not provide customer service, and are just downright rude. The ice cream is more expensive but you do get the larger portions that are enough to share with 2-3 people. The ice cream is not the best but it is different because it is not as sweet. But for the hassle of having to go to Hanford, going to McDonald's, Baskin Robbins, and Foster Freeze would have been just as good!

• 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Santa Cruz, CA
“Meh......”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 18, 2009

I'm a Hanford native so naturally I have had my share of Superior ice cream - my favorite flavors are Strawberry Freeze and chocolate chip. The building has barely changed in the 40+ years I've been going there. It's location in the heart of historic Hanford is perfect - across from the Civic Auditorium, Old Courthouse, Bastille, & Fox Theater. For many visitors, a trip to Superior Dairy is a must.

For those out-of towners that have relatives in Hanford, this is the place that you promise to take your kids in exchange for good behavior when visiting Grandma.

However.......
Service - STINKS! Mostly high school kids that don't know anything about customer service or just don't give a hoot. Order your ice cream at the window and take it to the park across the street to eat it. Otherwise, you can sit in a booth and be ignored by the waitresses.

Ice cream - I know that if I said this too loud in Hanford there would probably be a lynch mob after me, but the ice cream is just average. It used to be better, creamier, less air whipped into it. Yes, the servings are huge, but to me more is not better - who really needs a pound of ice cream teetering on a cone. People go on and on about how it's the best ice cream anywhere, but they either haven't tried a lot of other ice creams or more likely are just emotionally attached to the place.

Food - I don't know why anyone would eat anything other than ice cream here....... they have some of the most mediocre sandwiches I have ever tasted.

I rate the place 3 stars - for the nice location, retro decor, and decent ice cream.

• 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere