“What a dump” 1 of 5 stars

Ranked #1 of 1 Hanford B&B and Inns
Lake Arrowhead
“What a dump”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 7, 2012

Liz Taylor said it best (ala "quoting" Bette Davis, in Who's Afraid of Virginia Woolf): WHAT a DUMP! We arrived in the afternoon in 107 degree heat and the first thing the asst. manager said was, "Oh, I guess I should have turned the air conditioning on for you". When we got to our room we found that it was filthy, seven light bulbs were burned out, the TV didn't work, there was a used bar of soap and an open shampoo bottle in the shower. At bedtime we discovered there was no top sheet. We called the manager who arrived in the room with a folded sheet and tossed it on the bed without an apology (so we had to make our own bed). It certainly appeared that the sheets weren't changed, and the bedspread was grungy and crusty. The exterior of the motel had the potential to be quite charming, but there was obviously a lot of deferred maintenance. The location was a positive. We later found out that we were the only guests other than a homeless lady who was allowed to stay there. GO ELSEWHERE.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (4)
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 12, 2012

Rooms dirty. No AC in two rooms. Had to move to a third room. No T V. No Internet working (owner claimed it worked but three of us couldn't get on). No telephone. An hour to get breakfast order served. Owner verbally and physically assaulted me when I complained the fourth time and wouldn't adjust bill and I finally called him an idiot running the worst place I'd ever stayed in. Not recommended. Went to the nearby comfort inn and was much happier

• Stayed August 2012
hanford
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 15, 2012

I love this hotel and make it a point to stop by there on a regular basis. The staff is amazing and always seem to have a friendly smile, the owner Frank is an amazing guy who would give the shirt off of his back to help someone in need. The rooms are quaint and exactly what you want from an hotel with this much history, if you ask the owner he will give you a tour and an entire history lesson about the grounds. Then there is the idiot General Manager that they hired recently named Gilbert, this man is horrible for this hotel. He is mean to the staff, he is mean to the guests, and he honestly should not be allowed to even step foot on the property let alone be a manager of anything. I honestly feel as though if the owner got a decent manager and not a useless piece of trash like Gilbert, then this place would easily become the place to stay in Hanford and even Kings County.

Room Tip: This hotel is quaint and older so you might want to ask for a room in the courtyard as the rooms the...
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 16, 2012

My review for the Irwin street inn well let's start with service in the dining area it sure needs a lot of work they walk around with no drive or smiles but the food is perfect my wife an I got a chance to meet this great GM he had a great attitude twords the bussnies an my wife an I had a drink in the bar with him he even compted us a drink need less to say that's what made us stay longer will we come again yes we will as we understand he is family to the owner there is nothing more better then family running a business together Gilbert it was great meeting you an yes we will be back thank you the STRONGS

• Stayed March 2012
Mission Viejo, California
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 16, 2012

Was it a five star hotel? No, not even close. But, it was okay. Granted, I was not there on a romantic weekend. I was there for an American Legion Riders Convention. The place could use a coat of paint, and the carpet in the room could stand to be changed. It is an old building, and it shows. Importnat for me: The sheets were clean, the water worked, the hot was WAY hot. My TV did not have a remote, and the volume was not very high, even when cranked all the way up, but I was not there to watch TV. The staff was great. I was greeted and checked in right away, the bartender, Trinity, was a friendly.

Room Tip: I had 324, it is right above the bar. Not an issue for me.... But, it is an old place, and if ther...
  • Stayed April 2012, traveled on business
California, Maryland
1 of 5 stars Reviewed March 26, 2012

I would never suggest you or anyone you care about staying at the Irwin Street Inn. The tables in the dining room were dirty. The rooms were dirty. They did not heat in the rooms and they were 50 degrees at night. The showers did not have hot water. The maid did not work the days we stayed at Inn and so we did not have our rooms cleaned the first two nights.

Room Tip: I would not suggest choosing a room at this Inn.
  • Stayed March 2012, traveled on business
Sanger, Ca
2 of 5 stars Reviewed December 30, 2010

My Husband and I stayed at the Irwin Street Inn for our honeymoon back in Jan. 1998. We loved it! Last year for our anniversary we decided to go back and enjoy a night there. We were so disappointed. It took awhile to get someone to help us when we first got there. They just seemed like they didn't know who was in charge or how to run thing (not at all like the 1st time we went). The 1st room they gave was a bed on the ground. I was not having that. No way am I going to pay for a room and sleep on the ground, so I asked to change rooms. It took forever for them to get another room ready for us. Then when we finally moved rooms we realized the next room was worse. There was an "old" bed that squeaked when you sat or moved on it. My Husband and I were so tired by then that we just kept that room. It really ruined the evening.The place just seemed old & musty, not quaint and antique looking like it used to. We won't be going back there anytime soon. This place could be so cute and romantic if it were taken care of and had good service like it used to. It's to bad.

• Stayed January 2010, traveled as a couple

Been to Irwin Street Inn? Share your experiences!