“Expensive and just okay” 3 of 5 stars

Website
Menu
Improve this listing
Cuisines: Italian, Mediterranean
Good for: Families with children, Romance, Large groups, Doing business, Local cuisine, Special occasions, Scenic view, Entertaining clients
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Reservations, Private Dining
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Cross street: Capistrano
Transit: Samtrans
Description: Mezzaluna Restaurant is located in the historic Princeton Landing building (which was built in 1908). The harbor town of Princeton By The Sea is located 20 miles south of San Francisco. In this scenic area of Half Moon Bay, which overlooks the Pacific Ocean, you can experience breathtaking coastal views and marvel at the giants waves of Mavericks surf spot. We provide nothing but the highest quality of meat, fish, produce, pasta and local fresh ingredients. Mezzaluna is continually awarded as Best Restaurant on the Coast and Best Customer Service. In 2012, Mezza Luna was awarded "Favorite Italian Restaurant" and in 2013 awarded "Favorite Overall Restaurant" and "Favorite Italian Restaurant" by the coastside community and the readers of the Half Moon Bay Review. In 2014 Mezza Luna was awarded by Open Table the "Dinners Choice Award". But it doesn't take an award to prove the quality and consistency of the great food, service and wine... You must experience it for yourself.
Half Moon Bay, California, United States
“Expensive and just okay”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 2, 2014

I would give them 3 1/2 but overall I cannot give them 4. We all had pasta that night...I have lived in El Granada for 15 years for whatever reason I had never been t this restaurant. I had heard it wasn't that great and sort of expensive.

I just don't need to spend $18 for a plate of spaghetti and meatballs. I had a seafood combo that was good, big shrimp and nicely done. If it was 11 bucks I'd be back all the time. Over 140 bucks out the door for 4 people include on app and one split salad. $15 corkage fee also, if the waived that they probably see me again since I live less than 1 mile from the place.

• 3 of 5 stars Food

81% Recommend
San Jose, California
“VERY Disapointing”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed December 29, 2013

We came to this place with high expectations given the great reviews.
Here are the highlights:
We got a nice table by the window.
The place is clean and well decorated.
Prices are very reasonable compared to other mid to upper dining in Halfmoon Bay.

The lowlights:
Menu is mediocre. Nothing stands out. Very few pasta dishes with Seafood options.
Service was slow, needed to call to get some attention. Server was not great in sales (to say the least), not giving recommendation or highlighting the various dishes. We asked for the desert special and he basically talked us out of it.

What we ordered:
We got the Salmon Ceviche as appetizer. Let me tell you that this is NOT a Ceviche. This was smoked salmon with pepper corns. Nothing special and not what we were expecting (I had ceviche in various places, including in south america).
For the main dish we ordered the Halfmoon Salmon Ravioli. It was OK (the Ravioli from Costco made at home is better). Portion was average size (not abundant), and sauce was bland.

We also got the Involtini. Comes with puree and some boiled vegetables. 3 pieces of cheese wrapped with meat. It was nice but again nothing special. I had better in other Italian restaurants.

I can understand small portions, and I have had GREAT dinners in French restaurants where the presentation and the quality of the food are outstanding.
This place has the small portions, but this is where the similarities stop (and it is Italian, of course).
For comparison, I would say that I would have enjoyed more a dinner at The Olive Garden for a lot less.

We asked for the desert menu, and again, very uninspiring and we decided to pass.

My recommendation, if you are looking for something different with a Seafood twist (to be expected in Halfmoon Bay) , look somewhere else. If on the other hand you are looking for a very average Italian dinner, this place might be for you.

• 3 of 5 stars Food
Folsom, CA
“Great Harbor Find!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 26, 2013

We have dined here the last two Christmas Eves, and even on such a busy night, we thoroughly enjoyed ourselves. The wait staff is professional but very engaging, the food is excellent, the experience is everything a special occasion should be. Highly recommend it!

• 5 of 5 stars Food
Fremont, California
“Great brunch with friends”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 23, 2013 via mobile

7 for brunch, and everyone was happy. We had a variety of items from the cannelloni special, to pizza, muscles, salads, homemade pasta and veal cutlets. All were great. We shared 3 deserts, and I have to say the chocolate cream puffs were to die for. Will definitely visit again, and add it to our list of great places to eat when in the Half Moon Bay area.

Visited December 2013
Walnut Creek, California
“Favorite in Half Moon Bay”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 18, 2013 credit card Amex Card Member Review

Mezza Luna (half moon in Italian) has very good food friendly service and a nice wine list with a great selection of Italian wines.

Visited November 2013