“Good location but showing wear” 3 of 5 stars

Half Moon Bay Lodge
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   2400 South Cabrillo Highway, Half Moon Bay, CA 94019   |
Hotel deals
Ranked #3 of 8 Hotels in Half Moon Bay
“Good location but showing wear”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 30, 2013

Nice location just outside the downtown. We liked the communal garden tables for wine before dinner. The rooms were showing wear, but the fireplaces were a great touch. On site breakfast included with the room was nice. An adequate place, but not overwhelmed. A good stop over location without elegance. Super clean!!

• Stayed September 2013
Keith W, General Manager at Half Moon Bay Lodge, responded to this review, October 3, 2013
We’re delighted that you enjoyed our breakfast experience, the cleanliness of your room, and ambiance of our patio and lawn area. Of course, we also appreciate the feedback regarding aspects of your experience that did not meet your expectations. I would appreciate the opportunity to discuss your concerns and to resolve them to your full satisfaction.

650.726.9000

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (87)
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 24, 2013

The hotel is located close to the Ritz which is nice... from there it goes down hill.
The hotel is seriously dated. The walls are paper thin, There is NO air-conditioning.
There is a fan to move the air.. but THEY squeak horribly - I say THEY because you can hear the fan in both the rooms on either side as well. It is such a poor value for the money.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with family
Dear Debbra
Thank you for your review and for your recent visit. I am very sorry to learn that you found our hotel dated in spite of our recent renovation and that you experienced a problem with a ceiling fan. We are committed to creating an experience that delivers excellent value for the price. We would love to have the opportunity to serve you again. Please contact me so that I may personally guarantee your full satisfaction.

Santa Barbara, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 23, 2013

My wife and I stayed here after moving our first child into the dorms at UC Santa Cruz, so it was a bit of a second honeymoon. We were very pleased with the room. It was very clean and well appointed. The bathroom was especially nice with Mexican tile counter tops. There was a wet bar, ironing board and iron, and nice robes for walking to the pool/spa. The included breakfast was not upscale but there was a good variety and lots of fresh fruit. We both felt like we got very good value for the rate.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
Napa, CA
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 17, 2013

I really was looking forward to this stay, after reading extensive reviews on Yelp, Yahoo, and TripAdvisor. I sadly did not feel like I got a value for my money. Your basic room is $180 after tax. Yes, I knew this going in, but this decision was based on a lot of user review research before I committed to paying this kind of cash for one night in a hotel. But, what I read was 90% positive, so we splurged for a little mini vacation not too far from home. Frist of all, I'm sorry but Half Moon Bay is a pretty dull town. The shopping is better in Santa Cruz. This place is a barely renovated Best Western - it's a basic hotel in a ritzy hotel's clothing. The best thing about it, as most reviews will say, was the breakfast spread in the morning, it was pretty nice. Other than that, nothing remarkable about this place - the rooms have been painted, basically updated furniture, but still have broken windows in the bathroom, rusty old tissue dispensers, and my LORD is this place noisy. Every step someone takes - ground floor or upstairs - sounds like dancing elephants. All day. Most of the night...stomp stomp stomp. Yes I get it, it's a hotel, I'm not the only one there. But if you spend this kind of money to renovate an old Best Western, and then charge people accordingly based on that, I'd think you would make sure that the buildings are properly insulated for sound dampening. This is the kind of environment I'd expect at a $50 a night Motel 6 off the freeway, not an upscale lodge in a seaside tourist town. The pile of old mattresses that we had to look at and walk past while going to and from the front office was none too attractive either. Our bedspread was dirty on arrival - I have no idea who would use white comforters in a hotel anyhow, but I didn't bother to complain since we just folded it down anyhow and didn't sleep on it, but still. Then around ten pm, the nice drunk noisy party upstairs came back and was hooting and hollering for a few hours while myself and I'm sure others tried to sleep. The front desk girl was really nice and helpful when we checked in, even offering up restaurant suggestions. However upon checkout, the same girl was there, and we were not asked how our stay was, and I didn't offer an opinion. I just paid my inflated bill and left.

Perks: really nice breakfast set up, free internet and printing by front desk. (useful for Google maps).

That was about it.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
Keith W, General Manager at Half Moon Bay Lodge, responded to this review, September 19, 2013
Dear Stefani,
Thank you for your review and for your recent visit. I am delighted to hear that you enjoyed our complimentary breakfast, restaurant recommendations and complimentary internet. Of course, I am also sorry to learn that you experienced problems with noise from other guests and that out recent renovations fell short of your expectations. Please be assured that our staff has been made aware of the situation, and we are committed to creating an experience that exceeds your expectations. If you will contact me, I promise to resolve your concerns to your full satisfaction.

5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 10, 2013 via mobile

Spacious room, up to date decorated, great view on the golf course, very nice balcony. We loved the pool and whirlpool outside, the fire place outside and the beautiful garden. There is wonderful coastal walk near the hotel. The breakfast buffet has a great variety of choices everything fresh and is simply delicious!
The employees are very friendly, helpful and service oriented. Can't wait to go back here!

• Stayed September 2013
California City, California
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 8, 2013

If its all in the details, the details are lacking at Half Moon Bay Lodge. The website makes this place look gorgeous, but, while we had a fine stay, this hotel is very average. In fact, some little things are decidedly below average, at best, and several of our "special amenities" were available to our friends at the Comfort Inn for 100 dollars less per night. This place is fine, but I'm sure for the same price I can find a nicer-feeling place on our next visit.

Pros:
Fireplace room is cozy and large
Comfortable bed
Pretty lobby
Nice wines for sale in lobby
Nice view of golf course
Free continental breakfast

Cons:
USED bars of soap in our shower and sink upon our arrival! (Hey, HMB Lodge, if you want to have us share soap, consider liquid. Yuck.)
Strong smoke smell in room all the time - not super big deal, there IS a fireplace.
Breakfast is misrepresented, is not really full, feels more continental, and is over early.
Grounds, pool and common areas feel very dated (I found out this used to be a Best Western and I was like, "now I get it.")
Where was the lovely fire pit on the website? Actually all common areas were totally misrepresented online. Either nonexistent or u-g-l-y.

Overall: comfortable stay but overpriced.

Room Tip: Second floor rooms are best.
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled with friends
West Midlands
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 8, 2013

Stayed for three nights.A little disappointed as expectations were probably too high.there are no public rooms,so small reception,no lounge or bar and continental breakfast in small room by pool.I think the hotel is getting a little tired,the pool area is ok but dated.The hotel works if you take your own food etc as there is a fridge and microwave in the room,there is also Joe's Diner next door.The situation is a little out so you need your car unless you are in your room or going to the diner.I am sure this suits some people but I did not feel much of a guest more a passerby.Finally the hotel is not cheap but we did stay for the Labor Day weekend.Staff ok workmanlike rather than welcoming.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple

Been to Half Moon Bay Lodge? Share your experiences!