“Very enjoyable stay” 5 of 5 stars

Certificate of Excellence 2014
Santa Barbara, California
“Very enjoyable stay”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 23, 2013

My wife and I stayed here after moving our first child into the dorms at UC Santa Cruz, so it was a bit of a second honeymoon. We were very pleased with the room. It was very clean and well appointed. The bathroom was especially nice with Mexican tile counter tops. There was a wet bar, ironing board and iron, and nice robes for walking to the pool/spa. The included breakfast was not upscale but there was a good variety and lots of fresh fruit. We both felt like we got very good value for the rate.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (91)
Napa, CA
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 17, 2013

I really was looking forward to this stay, after reading extensive reviews on Yelp, Yahoo, and TripAdvisor. I sadly did not feel like I got a value for my money. Your basic room is $180 after tax. Yes, I knew this going in, but this decision was based on a lot of user review research before I committed to paying this kind of cash for one night in a hotel. But, what I read was 90% positive, so we splurged for a little mini vacation not too far from home. Frist of all, I'm sorry but Half Moon Bay is a pretty dull town. The shopping is better in Santa Cruz. This place is a barely renovated Best Western - it's a basic hotel in a ritzy hotel's clothing. The best thing about it, as most reviews will say, was the breakfast spread in the morning, it was pretty nice. Other than that, nothing remarkable about this place - the rooms have been painted, basically updated furniture, but still have broken windows in the bathroom, rusty old tissue dispensers, and my LORD is this place noisy. Every step someone takes - ground floor or upstairs - sounds like dancing elephants. All day. Most of the night...stomp stomp stomp. Yes I get it, it's a hotel, I'm not the only one there. But if you spend this kind of money to renovate an old Best Western, and then charge people accordingly based on that, I'd think you would make sure that the buildings are properly insulated for sound dampening. This is the kind of environment I'd expect at a $50 a night Motel 6 off the freeway, not an upscale lodge in a seaside tourist town. The pile of old mattresses that we had to look at and walk past while going to and from the front office was none too attractive either. Our bedspread was dirty on arrival - I have no idea who would use white comforters in a hotel anyhow, but I didn't bother to complain since we just folded it down anyhow and didn't sleep on it, but still. Then around ten pm, the nice drunk noisy party upstairs came back and was hooting and hollering for a few hours while myself and I'm sure others tried to sleep. The front desk girl was really nice and helpful when we checked in, even offering up restaurant suggestions. However upon checkout, the same girl was there, and we were not asked how our stay was, and I didn't offer an opinion. I just paid my inflated bill and left.

Perks: really nice breakfast set up, free internet and printing by front desk. (useful for Google maps).

That was about it.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
Keith W, General Manager at Half Moon Bay Lodge, responded to this review, September 19, 2013
Dear Stefani,
Thank you for your review and for your recent visit. I am delighted to hear that you enjoyed our complimentary breakfast, restaurant recommendations and complimentary internet. Of course, I am also sorry to learn that you experienced problems with noise from other guests and that out recent renovations fell short of your expectations. Please be assured that our staff has been made aware of the situation, and we are committed to creating an experience that exceeds your expectations. If you will contact me, I promise to resolve your concerns to your full satisfaction.

Keith Wesselmann
650.726.9000
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 10, 2013 via mobile

Spacious room, up to date decorated, great view on the golf course, very nice balcony. We loved the pool and whirlpool outside, the fire place outside and the beautiful garden. There is wonderful coastal walk near the hotel. The breakfast buffet has a great variety of choices everything fresh and is simply delicious!
The employees are very friendly, helpful and service oriented. Can't wait to go back here!

• Stayed September 2013
California City, California
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 8, 2013

If its all in the details, the details are lacking at Half Moon Bay Lodge. The website makes this place look gorgeous, but, while we had a fine stay, this hotel is very average. In fact, some little things are decidedly below average, at best, and several of our "special amenities" were available to our friends at the Comfort Inn for 100 dollars less per night. This place is fine, but I'm sure for the same price I can find a nicer-feeling place on our next visit.

Pros:
Fireplace room is cozy and large
Comfortable bed
Pretty lobby
Nice wines for sale in lobby
Nice view of golf course
Free continental breakfast

Cons:
USED bars of soap in our shower and sink upon our arrival! (Hey, HMB Lodge, if you want to have us share soap, consider liquid. Yuck.)
Strong smoke smell in room all the time - not super big deal, there IS a fireplace.
Breakfast is misrepresented, is not really full, feels more continental, and is over early.
Grounds, pool and common areas feel very dated (I found out this used to be a Best Western and I was like, "now I get it.")
Where was the lovely fire pit on the website? Actually all common areas were totally misrepresented online. Either nonexistent or u-g-l-y.

Overall: comfortable stay but overpriced.

Room Tip: Second floor rooms are best.
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled with friends
West Midlands
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 8, 2013

Stayed for three nights.A little disappointed as expectations were probably too high.there are no public rooms,so small reception,no lounge or bar and continental breakfast in small room by pool.I think the hotel is getting a little tired,the pool area is ok but dated.The hotel works if you take your own food etc as there is a fridge and microwave in the room,there is also Joe's Diner next door.The situation is a little out so you need your car unless you are in your room or going to the diner.I am sure this suits some people but I did not feel much of a guest more a passerby.Finally the hotel is not cheap but we did stay for the Labor Day weekend.Staff ok workmanlike rather than welcoming.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
Massachusetts
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 5, 2013 via mobile

We stayed here one night. The room was spacious. Lovely slider to deck overlooking golf course. Unfortunately there were some vulgar and vile men golfing and swearing loudly the next morning at 8. Why do men turn into idiots when golfing? Another question for another day. Otherwise this stop on the PCH was very good. The staff was nice and gave a very comprehensive list of local eateries to try. Nice toiletries and towels and a lovely free breakfast. Other associates I encountered during our short stay there were very polite and helpful. I'd stay here again.

• Stayed August 2013
Campbell, California
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 3, 2013

We visited Half Moon Bay Lodge because we were looking for a near-by get-a-way. Having stayed here a few times before we knew what to expect but this time we were really looking forward to enjoying the one and only room that has it's own whirlpool jacuzzi tub! So needless to say we were excited and looking forward to letting Calgon take us away. When we entered the room, we immediately noticed that it didn't have a fireplace. We were not told that we would have to give up a fireplace for the whirlpool tub. So right away we were disappointed especially after we started filling up the tub and the fixture for control of the water wouldn't stay where we needed it for the correct temperature. It kept falling down and losing the hot side as well as the pressure.

The room was also on the second floor and they don't have an elevator. We had to haul all the luggage up some very rickety stairs. My husband almost fell twice. Also, be careful when you step out on to your balcony, it's a big step down.

If you're thinking of coming here for a romantic get-a-way look somewhere else. The kids take over the outdoor jacuzzi tub and pretty much have the fun of the place. They need to build a separate jacuzzi just for the adults. They also need to do some refurbishing overall as the place is starting to show it's age. The facelift should include better locations for the ice machines as well. It appears they like to hide them here. I went up and down looking for one and finally had to ask a maid who took me all the way downstairs and into a dark hallway to the closest one.

If it weren't for the fresh cookies put out everyday in the lobby it would be total disappointment. In fact the lobby is about the only good part of this establishment.

Room Tip: You have to call and request the Whirlpool Room as its not available to reserve online. Just beware...
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple

Been to Half Moon Bay Lodge? Share your experiences!