“Relaxing Retreat with every need and desire anticipated” 5 of 5 stars

Mill Rose Inn
3.5 of 5 Bed and Breakfast   |   615 Mill Street, Half Moon Bay, CA 94019   |
Ranked #4 of 11 Half Moon Bay B&B and Inns
San Francisco
“Relaxing Retreat with every need and desire anticipated”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 8, 2009

I was surprised on my anniversary my a trip to Half Moon Bay and a stay at The Mill Rose Inn. Trust me, he won big points for this one! From the moment we arrived, we felt like honored guests, from the personal tour of the facilities and our room, to the personalized welcome note. The innkeepers make you feel as if it is their desire to take care of you - bringing you whatever you would like. I especially enjoyed the dessert table which we could come to at any time to bring treats to our room, and their extensive collections of movies to borrow and bring to your room. There was also a private spa where couples could sign up so that you don't have to worry about being disturbed in the hot tub. Overall, the location was perfect - close to downtown but quiet and the room was adorable. Decorated ornately and romantically with a perfect charm. The bed was extremely comfortable and the room was adequate size. In the morning, the delicious homemade breakfast was delivered to our room in courses, and it was the perfect end to a weekend of no worries.

• Stayed March 2009, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (19)
Modesto
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 28, 2009

A couple of years ago I reserved a room at the Mill Rose Inn for a surprise birthday gift for my “boyfriend”…that sounds so silly calling him my boyfriend at almost 60 yrs old! We had not seen each other for almost 40 years and were just getting to know each other again…what a romantic place I chose! My guy loves flowers…growing, giving, or just viewing and he really enjoys old fashioned places. This one was so special and from the moment we drove up I knew I had made the perfect choice.

Terry and Eve both greeted us with birthday wishes for my guy and congrats on our newly rekindled love (my earlier emails explaining my hopes for a spectacularly romantic stay were understood)…and with that Terry gave us a wonderful tour of the grounds and finally up to our room…the top floor where the small corner table allows for viewing out windows overlooking the amazing flowers, a nearby meadow, and misty mountains in the distance.

Since that first night at the Mill Rose Inn we’ve returned for two more wonderful visits. The first evening we dined at Pasta Moon, a short walk away. The other two dinners have been at the Miramar just 10 minutes up the highway…we highly recommend this place but be sure to call ahead and reserve a table at the windows, and find out ahead of time when the sun sets…you won’t believe your eyes!

Breakfast in the morning is incredible! Terry always asks when we arrive if there are any food restrictions, needs, wants, whatever, and asks if we would like breakfast delivered…we always do and we have not been disappointed with both the quality of the interesting breakfasts, and the quantity!

Each time we return we find something new to enjoy…whether it’s the huge pumpkins that line the outer edges of the beautifully kept gardens, or the transformation into a Christmas wonderland, or the …well, you get the idea, this place just takes our breath away with the flowers, the lights, the food…and the ambience.

We highly recommend the Mill Rose Inn for anyone wanting a beautiful fantasy away from the real world…it’s definitely floral, it’s a bit frilly, but it’s oh, sooooo romantic!

• Liked — Everything!
  • Disliked — Hmmm, can't think of anything we didn't love about the place!
  • Stayed November 2008, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 5 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Atlanta, Georgia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 23, 2009

Although I have been a Trip Advisor "user" for 5 years now - this is my first review with others to come - now that I have all my notes in front of me.

What a wonderful place to stay - even though it was foggy on the outside every morning - it was sunny on the inside.

We loved this place and every time we come back to the Bay Area we will definitely spend our quality time with them.

• Liked — The distance to everything was short and a great location for views
  • Disliked — All perfect
  • Stayed August 2007, traveled as a couple
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 2, 2008

My wife and I wanted to spend our first night away from the kids ever (almost 9 years), and we found the perfect place for it at the Mill Rose Inn. We had such a fabulous time, and it was difficult for us to leave the next day.

They had the place so beautifully landscaped with flowers, and also added outdoor lights that made it so festive. It was fun just to explore the place itself. And they had a wonderful outdoor jacuzzi that you can reserve for a private 1 hour session.

The room itself was fantastic! We had a cozy gas fireplace in our room, and it was beautifully decorated. The bed was SO comfortable.
The well stocked (and free) minibar with wine and beer was a nice touch (and the sherry and brandy outside too). They had desserts and tea available at all times and they even offered a cheese plate any time we wanted (we didn't even get to those). The breakfast was also fabulous!

It was hard to get ourselves to leave the B&B, but Mill Rose Inn is right in the heart of downtown Half Moon Bay, and the ocean is only a 10 minute walk away, and it was really pleasant strolling around even in the light drizzle.

The hosts were wonderful, spending time to chat with us about the history of the place and Half Moon Bay. They made us feel so much at home. They gave us a great recommendation for dinner at a restaurant nearby.

We would certainly look forward to coming back there again next time we're in the area!

• Liked — Perfect romantic "getaway" place
  • Disliked — Nothing
  • Stayed November 2008, traveled as a couple
San Francisco, CA.
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 16, 2008

I am still craving those butterscotch and chocolate chip cookies they had out in the cookie jar. I loved the whole idea to have an all-hours access dessert bar. The breakfasts I felt were top-notch. The room my wife and I stayed at was beautifully furnished and the bed was very comfortable. The garden was amazing and I found my stay to be very relaxing. The only thing that could have made it better would have been if the jets were working in the hot tub. Otherwise, I thoroughly was impressed with the Mill Rose Inn. Keep up the great work, Eve and Terry!

• Liked — overall beauty of the place, THE COOKIES!!!
  • Disliked — whirlpool jets in the hot tub didn't work :(
  • Stayed September 2008, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 5 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Mountain City, Tennessee
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 14, 2008

We just left Mill Rose Inn this morning and hated to leave. I have never enjoyed such large and well-appointed rooms! I especially liked the beautiful flowers in all the gardens--my husband spotted a hummingbird! And I like the fact I could get a hot cup of tea and sweets any time. Terry's generous directions helped us find a lovely place for dinner just blocks away.
One more thing: three of the rooms (maybe more) are perfect for two couples taking a weekend away and sharing a room. The drive isn't all that far and we do recommend you check it out.

• Liked — Gardens and the MANY free amenities and services
  • Disliked — Wifi was picky the night we were there--worked in BR, not in sitting room of suite
  • Stayed September 2008, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 4 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Bergen, Norway
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 12, 2008

Well, we wanted to end our 5 week roadtrip with a bang and a very nice place. The next day was a trip to sfo airport, that was suprisely close (maybe a 35 minute drive).
The b en B has it all, lovely gardens, personal service with nice people, lovely breakfast, close to downtown,drinks, whirlpool were you can get private time,close to the sea,really nothing negative to mansion here ! Go for it fellow europeans, this will get you comfortly and well rested back to the airport the next day.

• Liked — personal, well kept place
  • Disliked — nothing, it was perfect !
  • Stayed July 2008, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk

Been to Mill Rose Inn? Share your experiences!