“Disappointing” 2 of 5 stars

Cuisines: American
Seattle
“Disappointing”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 22, 2011

This restaurant was recommended by a family member for our Half Moon Bay visit. The service started out okay; water came, orders were taken relatively promptly. Then things started to unravel. The first plate came to our party of 6 in good time. Then they came one-by-one over the next 45 minutes, and only because we eventually begged for the lunches to be served. The owner didn't seem to care much; first attributing the problem to "special needs" people in the restaurant and then to a waitress just back from vacation. Whatever the excuse/reason, she made us feel like it was our problem or fault. We watched three other tables get up and leave while waiting for someone to serve them. We won't be going back.

• Visited July 2011
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
caseyscafe, Owner at Casey's Cafe, responded to this review, July 25, 2011
So another review from the same table as "Terrible food service". Let's set the record straight, I learned of the error and promptly found the ticket and had the kitchen staff stop everything to fix this. The man who's meal ticket was lost did not beg me. He came into the cafe before I could go to the table and yelled at me, not stopping for air, not stopping to listen to me apologize, not letting me explain that the meal was in production, not stopping when I told him that there would be no charge for his meal.
Finally he went back to his table, the meal was served and I apologized again. It is difficult to deal with a very angry customer, your anger is so appearant that you have now written twice about your experience here. But at least you gave me 2 stars where the other e-mail only gave me 1.

Port Angeles, Washington
“Terrible food service”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 19, 2011

There were six of us and each meal was brought out individually. Four of us were finished eating and still the meal for the other two members of our family was not brought out (we ate on the patio). The owner/manager had all kinds of excuses. She did give them the meal free but after waiting 30 minutes for the first individual meal the luncheon was not a pleasant experience. If and when we ever pass through Half Moon Bay we would not eat there again. I have never seen such poor service. We saw two groups of people leave that had been there awhile and their order had not been taken.

• Visited July 2011
    • 2 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 2 of 5 stars Food
caseyscafe, Owner at Casey's Cafe, responded to this review, July 21, 2011
The day this happened was one of the rare sunny summer days on the coast. Our outdoor cafe was subsequently overwhelmed. Unfortunately my staff made an error and I did my best to make sure ammends were made as was made aware of the situation, even as everyone's ears were assaulted by rude and innapprpriate comments. The meal was comped and apologies were made. It's too bad some people are never satisfied - good luck wherever you may go next.
San Francisco, California
“Overpriced for what you get”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 19, 2011

We were the only ones there on a rainy Saturday at Noon, but the service was still quite slow. Maybe they didn't want to rush us, so I'll give them the benefit of the doubt there.
I judge a place by the quality of its Eggs Benedict. Mine was $17 before tax and tip and it was pretty mediocre: not as bad as Ketch Joanne's in nearby El Granada's Princeton Harbor, where they use cheese sauce (!) instead of Hollandaise, but not all that good either. There was only a very thin slice of ham, not much Hollandaise sauce, and the eggs were overdone. I got the feeling that they're trying to be "healthy", but when I order Benedict, I want the ham and sauce. The sauce was actually a very good and clean Hollandaise, but there wasn't enough of it.
It was a pleasant atmosphere, but I'm not sure how pleasant it would be if it were crowded. It was rather luxurious having the place mostly to ourselves. We were there about 1 1/2 hours and a man came in with his young son just as we were leaving.
We were able to try it out by using a Restaurant.com coupon, so that brought the price we paid ($35) into a reasonable range for what we got. I would have been dissatisfied if we had wound up paying $60, which is what the tab would have come to without the coupon.
The place looks inviting, but I have once again been foiled in an attempt to find a place that serves good Eggs Benedict on the San Mateo County Coast.
I will say that we have a dear friend who loves the food at Casey's Cafe, and even hired Casey to cater her Mom's 100 year birthday party recently, and she has good taste, so we wanted to give it a try.

• Visited March 2011
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
San Mateo, California
“Wonderful!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 18, 2010

The Tripadvisor on FaceBook must have been in a very cranky mood when she/he ate at Casey's or maybe arrived at peak meal time. My wife and I have eaten at Casey's numerous times as we live just over the hill in San Mateo and love it.

The food is always excellent - my wife only orders the Croque Monsieur and I have enjoyed the BLT, the Crab Melt, and many of the hamburgers all served with local and Napa favorite glasses of white and red wines plentifully filled. The service is always friendly and fast - except during the peak meal times, we have noticed so go earlier or later than the peak meal times. The ambiance is the best...small (seats maybe 30 inside and 12 outside), intimate, and cozy. We love Casey's!

San Francisco South Bay area
“a great place to eat in HMB”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 3, 2007

Went to Casey's Cafe in Half Moon Bay. We had been there a few years ago for lunch/brunch and thought it was great back then. Went there today for Labor Day Sunday for lunch and the food was excellent. I had a Crab Melt sandwich with lots of real crab meat in it, avocado, and Gruyer cheese on sourdough. It was incredibly tasty. The cheese was heated just right and the bread toasted to make a crunchy luxurious snack. And this was a half-sandwich size order. For a couple of dollars more, you could have a full-sandwich order but for me it would be just too much. The sandwich comes with a small salad or fries. The half-sandwich order was about $7.50 I think.

My friend had potato pancakes with smoked salmon and capers. The dish came with a lot of smoked salmon on it which was great. Again, a very tasty meal for less than $10.

The restaurant has tables outside on their front patio area and in nice weather, this is a great way to enjoy dining.