“Not what we hoped for” 3 of 5 stars

Website
Menu
Improve this listing
Reserve with OpenTable
Pasta Moon is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Cuisines: Italian
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Portland, Oregon
“Not what we hoped for”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 4, 2010

Not sure if it was because we were one of the last diners of the evening, but we were disappointed generally in the quality of food served here. There were nice surprises: the fresh fava beans in a light batter...could eat that forever! But the frito misto w/ calamari looked like dregs from the deep fryer vat. Butternut squash ravioli tasted more like dessert because of the almond flavoring from the amaretti cookies sprinkled on top. Black cod was underdone and, again, the lentil/ham mirepoix overwhelmed the delicate flavor of the fish. Our waiter promoted the meyer lemon parfait but I found the portion to be way too big...the flavor was so intense, a smaller dish would have sufficed. Maybe we chose the wrong dishes, but we just felt that over all, the chef here is trying too hard and lost his way? We were expecting lovely dishes based on local ingredients, but didn't really find this to be the case. Overall, not the super special dining experience we were hoping for.

• 2 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 2 of 5 stars Food

Denver
“Really Set The Tone”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 29, 2010

We started our recent California trip with 2 nights in Half Moon Bay . We had scheduled 7 top flight meals in Yountville and SFO. ... Happily Pasta Moon started our trip out right with a simple delicious feast.. we also (see next review below ) had the butternut squash ravilola and the lasagne... both were great and my wife still ranks that meal as one of her favs for the whole trip.. desserts were extra nice also...definitely will return

• 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
CA
“Love Pasta Moon”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 28, 2009

We have eaten at Pasta Moon many times over the past few years and have always enjoyed our meal. My personal favorite is the butternut squash ravioli, but I also love the lasagna. My husband is partial to the caesar salad and the braised blt. (In fact, we never thought we'd find a blt that came even close to those we make with our own home grown tomatoes and apple smoked bacon until we tasted the blt at Pasta Moon...)

The service is decent. I do find the waitstaff to be a bit snooty and aloof, but if you are nice to them they do warm up. I guess that is true of most things in life.

Some of the tables are a bit close. I personally like to have a bit more space between me and the other patrons, but maximizing space helps the profit margin.

All in all -- Pasta Moon is one of my favorite restaurants -- and I've traveled (and eaten out) a lot!

Reston,Virginia
“Great Pasta, Attractive Setting and Mostly OK Service”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 9, 2009

This is a intimate warm place in Half Moon Bay with excellent pasta dishes and an adequate wine selection. We found it good place for a romantic early dinner (6:30 PM). Service was spotty but not unpleasant. All in all a good value at a moderate price.

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
North Carolina
“Great Italian Food and atmosphere”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 15, 2009

My husband and I ate dinner here and really enjoyed the quaint setting. We arrived without reservations, but were seated right away. We had great service even though they were very busy. I had eggplant and my husband had the lasagna. Both were excellent! Would go back here anytime!

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere