“Nice accessible beach” 4 of 5 stars

Half Moon Bay, California
3 attraction reviews
“Nice accessible beach”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 30, 2011

My kids call this place - "the horse poop beach" - and for a reason. Wear shoes on your way down to the beach, but if you walk a bit you'll soon be away from any crowds. Very pretty beach, but the water is not good for smaller kids to wade in due to the strong currents & powerful waves. However you'll have all the space you need to build sand castles. It's one of the easier beaches in the area to access.

Visited December 2011

San Jose, California
“great for dogs”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 28, 2011

i had the pleasure of being in close prox to Half Moon Bay... and love going there by myself a few times. this time i took my dog and were, somewhat turned away form the beach, yet was given an alternate because i had my dog with me this time. great beach for taking your dog and having the opportunity to notice there are horseback riding opportunities there as well.

Visited August 2011
A TripAdvisor Member
“just plain gross”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 30, 2006

All the beaches along the San Mateo coastline are lovely to behold.... the difference is in each beach's unique atmosphere. The horse poop was abundant and nasty. The people on horseback didn't seem to be having much fun on their lumbering, poop producing beasts... so it wasn't even any fun to watch the horses walk by (and walk is all they do - whoopie!!). The porta potties in the parking lot were completely disgusting.

This is definitely the only time we will ever visit Poplar. Skip it.

A TripAdvisor Member
“Barren Paradise!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 5, 2003

This is my favorite beach in HMB. It is always deserted. I think the horse poop keeps most people away, but not me! I love it! My wife and I like to build castles out of it, throw it at each other then rinse off in the ocean.