“It's Not the Four Seasons” 3 of 5 stars

Complimentary Breakfast
Ranked #1 of 8 Hotels in Half Moon Bay
Certificate of Excellence 2014
Colorado
“It's Not the Four Seasons”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 12, 2010

For the $350 price tag, I expected this hotel to be beyond compare, especially considering the otherwise low prices in Half Moon Bay, and I was very disappointed. The hotel was absolutely packed with people milling about, and even the golf course was full of tourists chatting with us as we sat on our patio to take in the view. I've stayed at many fabulous hotels and don't mind paying for it, but this is not one of them.

Further, the restaurant was an atrocity. Overpriced and so underwhelming we nearly considered going into town to supplement our meal. We brought a tiramisu cake for a friend's birthday since the hotel could not provide us with one, and they charged us $30 just to open the box. It wasn't a wedding, it was just dinner. The entire meal was over $700 and we were still starving!

Next time, i'd make the drive to San Francisco if I wanted top-notch!

• Stayed July 2010, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (312)
Malvern
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 11, 2010

My husband and I have stayed frequently at this hotel when coming out to the west coast to see our children and grandchildren. We love this place for lots of reasons, but primarily because it is a gorgeous hotel right on the ocean. Sunsets are beautiful. Food is great. Rooms are well appointed, very clean, and they have all the amenities you would expect at a Ritz Carlton. Weekends can be a little crowded with all sorts of people and parties going on, so I recommend going during the week if you really want a more peaceful, quiet interlude. Of course, as the case with most Ritz resorts, the prices are steep. You will pay for the experience, but I will say, we think it is worth it and will not consider staying anywhere else when in the area. Always happy to go back.

• Stayed May 2010, traveled as a couple
Dallas, Texas
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 9, 2010

For as much as it cost, I wasn't blown away, but it was nice across the board and coming from Texas in July the 60 degree Scotland type days were much appreciated. It really feels like you are in Ireland or Scotland with the clouds rolling in, the cliffs down to the water, the golf courses (especially the ocean course along the water) and the cold temperatures in the middle of the summer.

It definitely isn't a tropcial locale at any time of the year and the pool is actually a fully indoor pool, but the views are amazing and the golf is great. The little town is nice too, but you are spending enough money to stay at the Ritz that you feel like you shouldn't leave and should take advantage of the on site amenities.

The temperature, views and location are what makes this hotel. The hotel itself is nice and I didn't have really any issues, but also there wasn't anything that surpirsed me in particular to the upside either.

• Stayed July 2010, traveled on business
Elk Grove, Ca
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 8, 2010

A very consistent problem that happened to numerous people in our group: no room available til 4pm, with the wedding starting at 5pm. Try having your wife do her makeup and dress in a public bathroom, with many other women in there doing the same thing at the same time. As we were leaving the next day: overheard the same complaint from arriving guests that no room would be available til after 4pm.....
otherwise a very nice hotel for those self-actualized types...one night:$500+

• Stayed August 2010, traveled with family
Austin, TX
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 8, 2010

I’ve wanted to visit the Ritz at Half Moon Bay for at least seven years now since I saw it featured on a show. My husband and I have traveled to destinations just because a Ritz was there. Cancun, Jamaica, Sarasota, Grand Cayman, Key Biscayne, San Francisco, Dallas…. We live in Texas and we wanted an escape from the heat so we booked a last minute trip to Half Moon Bay. It’s all about rest, splurges and relaxation here. Here’s what you need to know.

First off, I was disappointed when we arrived. The skies are gray, the property is smallish, the beach is freezing cold, champagne is $20 per glass and the town is a little sad. But shortly after checking into our room, I slipped into the Half Moon state-of-mind and had the best trip of my life.

Location: Getting to the property from SFO was a 40 minute breeze. Go here for the Ritz property and proximity to San Fran and Santa Cruz. You can see “historic” Half Moon Bay in a couple of hours. I enjoyed strolling though one home décor boutique and a fun toy shop, but that was it. One night we left the Ritz to go find a pizza parlor. After driving around and leaving two yucky pizza places, we found ourselves back at the Ritz with room service by our fire pit. The highlight of our trip was spending the afternoon on the scenic drive through the forest and the Santa Cruz Mountains. This is where flowers bloom in incredible abundance, redwoods soar, vineyards thrive, pine trees galore and mountain views go on for miles… Leaving the Ritz it was 55 degrees and gray. An hour later at the Thomas Fogarty vineyard, it was sunny and we were sweating. Oh, how we couldn’t wait to get back to the cool coastline! This is when we realized why this Ritz location is so special. And the coast is the most mysterious and dramatic I’ve seen. The crashing waves and the chilly ocean spray was just the summer therapy we dreamed of. 2 nights is probably perfect. If you stay for longer than 3, you will get bored and depressed.

Rooms: this Ritz property’s feature are the fire pits. If you don’t get a room with a fire pit, you’ll probably be disappointed. If you have a balcony, but no fire pit, you’ll be too cold to hang out on it. If you have a higher room, you’ll have the best ocean views but you might feel trapped because there’s no balcony. If you have a fire pit, your ocean view could possibly be semi-blocked by golf course hills. We booked an ocean front suite cottage room #813. The suite was large and you could even add a connector making it seem as big as a house. This room was perfection for my family. My little boy was able to practice putting on the green a hundred feet away while I watched him from the fire pit. My husband spent hours watching golfers come in on Old Course’s #18. When we go back, we will most certainly book an Ocean House room again. HOWEVER, you cannot be guaranteed a first floor room with fire pit. What a bummer it would have been to spend $900 a night and have the second floor room with balcony and no pit. Yeah, the ocean view was better, but what we loved was the fire pit and the access to the putting green from the balcony. The self parking lot just for the cottages was a perk. Privacy for the cottages was divine as we didn’t miss walking through the lobby to get to our suite. BEWARE: If you book a cottage room with “view of Half Moon Bay Golf course”, you will be disappointed as it’s nowhere near or within sight of the ocean. If you book a room with a courtyard view, I certainly hope you spend little to no time in your room because the view is essentially of the busy circle valet drive. If you book a (non-cottage) fire pit room, you might get a room in the center of the hotel with obstructed views of the ocean and no privacy because everyone will see you as they walk by (though it’s great for people watching!) Still, I think a firepit room is the way to go here. And if you’re picky like me, book an ocean front cottage room on the first floor. Oh, and yes, the walls are thin and we could hear the neighbors beside and above, but it was nothing a bottle of bubbly didn’t fix. Amenities and the bed were excellent. Housekeeping was awesome.

Dogs: If you are a dog lover and like to travel with your pooch, this is the hotel for you! Get a room on the first floor so you don’t have to walk your dog through the lobby. The property was very dog friendly and great place to have your furry friend for walks along the beach.

Dining: We ate all of our meals at the hotel. Room service was good. Yeah, it’s crazy expensive. Be prepared for that. We were with our five year old so we didn’t want/ have club access on this trip, but it’s totally worth the upcharge for club access if you drink alcohol. I think we spent at least $400 on the first night alone total at the terrace bar, after raiding the mini bar and over ordering from room service. The next day we came to our senses and ran into town for Anchor Steams. Breakfast buffet was included in our package and it was a good thing because it was not worth the money. Over 100 bucks for two adults and a child with tip. We preferred the breakfast that we ordered alacarte. We ate at all the restaurants and all the food was good and fresh and service was top notch. I got a little tired of it after four days though…. Our favorite part was the girl who rode around on a golf cart by the balconies at night with smore kits and bottles of wine. How cool is that?! Speaking of smore kits. Yeah, it’s $32 for 8 marshmallows, a sleeve of grahams and a Ghirardelli bar, but whatever. It’s the Ritz! And we enjoyed every minute making them and every bite of our smores!

Water: My husband used the exercise room. The location is right smack in the center of the outdoor terrace. It was nothing special, but one cool thing is the bottled water available here. Forget spending 11 bucks for the bottled water in your room, just grab a few bottles from the exercise room!

Spa: It was nice. We had the ocean stone Vichy water massage treatments. It was expensive and worth it.

Ritz Kids: FANTASTIC! Our son just turned five so this was his first time at Ritz Kids. He was disappointed when I picked him up and didn’t want to leave. Mr. Cesar was awesome with the kids. They do physical, fun activities like going to the beach, playing tennis, four square, etc. Ritz Kids was like my long awaited dream come true now that my son is 5. We used the program for half days while we went to the spa one day and to the winery the next. Don’t hesitate! This property is very family friendly from infants to teens. There’s something for everyone here.

Pool: It was like Grandma’s old country club. Kinda dirty, kinda smelly. Nothing special. Our 5 year old went once for 30 minutes and never asked to go back. The hot tub at the center of the property was never used that we saw. My son said it looked too dirty for him. I couldn’t blame him. And the hot tub location is odd being right smack in the center as the focal point of the property. Ritz just needs a new pool and spa stat.

Golf: This is a crazy busy course. If you are spoiled with a private golf club at home like we are, I would skip this golf experience. Awkward parings are made all day long from what we experienced and saw. Tee times pile up. Our golf experience was a very negative one and my husband was probably annoyed that he lugged his clubs all the way from Austin.

Service: was savvy and everything was accurate. The bellman and valets are the most down to earth, welcoming boys for a Ritz. The staff was better than what you expect from the Ritz. We saw three amazing weddings here. They looked storybook like.

Summary: If you book the right room for your expectations and have the right attitude, you’ll find yourself in utter bliss, just as I was for three magnificent nights.

Stayed August 2010, traveled with family
Bellevue, Washington
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 7, 2010

Spent two days at the Ritz after spending two nights at the Fairmont in SF. This hotel is simply beautiful, and ooozes relaxation from the moment you walk in. Families, couples, groups, all types come here yet you still can find a place of your own anywhere on the grouds. We were situated in the top floor facing the ocean and GC, room was elegant and comfortable. Nice window seat to read and watch the ocean. Our package included the club level which I reccomend highly. Food, drink, snanks all part of the deal. This can get pricey in other areas of the hotel so well worth it. Listen this is not an inexpensive place, but we felt as if it was worth every penny. We had some small problems due to a high profile guest party staying at the hotel at the same time, our concerns were immediatlly addresses to our satisfaction. HIGHLY reccomend the Ritz.

Stayed July 2010, traveled as a couple
Mobile, Alabama
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 25, 2010

Modern hotel with all the amenities of a first class hotel. Room was roomy and view was spectacular. Setting is very unique situated on cliffs above the Pacific . Climate was cool (nicely so). Great walking/running trails along the cliffs and great walking along the beach beneath the cliffs at low tide. Staff was extremely professional and friendly but service in the restaruants was understaffed and led to longer waits on orders than it should. Spa was as nice as they get.Definitely would come again to unwind and relax.

• Stayed July 2010, traveled as a couple

Been to The Ritz-Carlton, Half Moon Bay? Share your experiences!