“Great Service & Gorgeous Views!” 5 of 5 stars

Complimentary Breakfast
Ranked #1 of 8 Hotels in Half Moon Bay
Certificate of Excellence 2014
Phoenix, AZ
“Great Service & Gorgeous Views!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 9, 2006

Stayed here for business for 3 days. The rooms were gorgeous, very quiet and the service was impeccable. The ocean view rooms are worth the extra $. The one thing not up to par was the restaurant off of the main lobby (I believe it was called Navio). Overpriced for the quality and selection. Other than that, the stay was fantastic. Rooms were clean and large with great beds. The bathrooms were nice too, very large with a huge sunken tub.

Stayed February 2006

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (312)
Mission Viejo, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 9, 2006

We got married at the Ritz on 9/18/04. This is THE BEST place to get married in the Bay Area. We searched high and low going as far north as Napa wine country and as far south as Monterey/Carmel...We had to hold the ceremony in the Bay Area due to the majority of our friends and family being located there. They had a superb wedding package and did EVERYTHING to make our day go as smooth as possible. When we forgot our checkbook in the car, an assistant ran to "fetch it" from our glove compartment. They immediately upgraded our Honeymoon suite into the Presidential suite, with no additional charge! It was the biggest and most lavish room I had ever stayed in a hotel! I can't believe how organized and scheduled their staff was...I want to send a nod out to the Catering Manager Marianne Arata who made sure everything went perfectly. They say no one remembers the cake and food, but I heard nothing but exclamations at the reception dining. The grounds are immaculate and we were fortunate to experience storybook weather on our special day. Our wedding was hawaiian/tropical themed and fit incredibly well with the surroundings. We honestly could not have found a better place in the Bay Area to hold our nuptials.

• Stayed September 2004
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 24, 2006

I surprised my husband with an overnight stay for his 50th birthday and all my expectations were exceeded! To start with we lucked out and had two sunny days after two weeks of rain in the Bay Area. I booked a partial ocean view room with the breakfast package and when we checked in at the front desk they upgraded us to a full ocean view room! The view was spectacular and we opened the windows to take in the full experience of the Pacific Ocean. After a couple of hours indulging in spa treatments we returned to the room to find a chilled bottle of champagne, chocolate covered strawberries and a birthday card from the staff. We enjoyed a wonderful dinner and breakfast in the Navio restaurant overlooking the ocean. The attention to detail sets this resort apart from the ordinary. The hotel and staff are world class and my husband said that it was the best birthday ever! This is a great "special occasion" resort.

• Stayed January 2006
Buffalo, New York
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 28, 2005

It's a Ritz Carlton -- I was prepared to spend money. But at the end of a 2-day Christmas stay, I actually felt a bit ripped off. We were put in a guest house room despite reservations in the main hotel, which I realized too late was a mistake. We reserved a deluxe ocean-view room: there was one lonely chair to sit in and look at the view -- no sign of the promised window seat. (I later learned this is a feature of rooms in the main hotel.) We were spared the $35 parking fee because we were in the guest house, but were not spared the $20 daily resort fee. This feels like being nickeled-and-dimed, and should be included in the rate.

There is a difference between paying top dollar for luxury and just paying too much. For example, a manicure in the spa is $60. Why -- when a manicure at Bliss Spa in New York City is $25? The markup on wine prices in the restaurant is 300%. This is just excessive.

While the atmosphere that the property wants to create is that of a 19th century grand ocean cottage in Maine, the hotel actually feels quite sterile and without character. And the beauty of the scenery has been overtaken by the golf course. Two days and $2,200 later, I felt more like a chump than a pampered guest.

Stayed December 2005
Stamford CT
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 28, 2005

I have stayed at about 10 different Ritz-Carltons around the world. This place has the makings of a pretty great place - ideal location (30 minutes south of SFO), incredible golf, breathtaking views of the Pacific. But, it just did not live up to what I normally expect and receive at a Ritz. Maybe it is because there is very little to do at or around the hotel if you don't golf. Maybe it is because the weather is not normally ideal (high 50s/low 60s and rain) alot of the time. If your idea of relaxation is outdoor activity or even lounging by a pool, this is not it. I am not sure I even know where the pool was, but it was too cold and rainy any way. This place is aimed at business people and golfers. Dining choices are limited at the hotel. The two restaurants I tried in Half Moon Bay were overpriced and not very good. Staying here as a base for a trip to San Fran is not a good idea. It is about an hour from the city. Now for the service at the hotel. There was something missing that I can't explain. It was the little things like having to call housekeeping twice to get the right pilliows (which never came), having to call in-room dining twice to get the breakfast menu, and asking the front desk for casual restaurant ideas but getting very few ideas and then not knowing how to get me there. A coffee machine (this is a place for business travelers) would be nice. $35 valet parking is crazy, even by NY standards. And you don't have a choice. This is not a great place to vacation because there is nothing to do and if you are looking to play golf, you may want to try somewhere else where you are pretty sure you will get good weather (like Scottsdale). Don't get me wrong. The place is beautiful and looks and feels like a Ritz but I just can't understand why anyone would go out of their way to come here given so many other really fine resorts that offer so many more things to do.

5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 18, 2005

This is a hotel which is really worth the money you pay! the whole atmosphere here makes you feel sooooo good. And it is so quiet around, you are surounded by the ocean and the golfcourse.... fantastic!

It is very expensive, but there are not so many hotels that can offer such an amazing location.... and the golf course is great too. We stayed in a "partial ocean view" room with patio. the room is not very big but it's ok, classic ritz carlton room (very comfortable).

It is so delightfull to sit outside next to the fireplace, face the ocean, listen to the waves and the seagulls. Afterwards have an "aperitif" at the bar and watch the sunset .... lovely

the only negative thing about this hotel is the NAVIO restaurant, the design is great and cosy but the food and wine are overpriced. we don't care to pay 300$ if food is perfect .... unfortunately it was nothing special at all.

If we come back to San francisco we will definitly have a short trip to the ritz carlton at Halfmoon Bay but find another restaurant.

• Stayed October 2005
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 22, 2005

Not impressed with the room decor.For the price you have to pay for a room, it wasn't worth the cost.The exterior of the building is very simple, not the grandeur of a Ritz Carlton. The Presidential Suite design is very bare, not enough decor appointments for a presidential suite.The carpet did not impress me.

Stayed August 2005

Been to The Ritz-Carlton, Half Moon Bay? Share your experiences!