“Platinum American Express Fine Hotel Experience” 5 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Complimentary Breakfast
Ranked #1 of 8 Hotels in Half Moon Bay
A TripAdvisor Member
“Platinum American Express Fine Hotel Experience”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 30, 2005

After upgrading our AMEX card to Platinum, we decided on a spur-of-the-moment trip to see if the benefits were worth the cost. Wow! Were they ever! One call to American Express travel took care of the details and we were on our way.

From the moment we arrived to when we departed the atmosphere, service and substance of the property never failed to impress. Our American Express benefits were the icing on the cake.

We booked the most inexpensive room available for one night. When we arrived, the hotel upgraded our room to a 600 sq ft ocean view room, provided a $70 gift certificate to the hotel gift shop and promised a free continental breakfast the next morning. While we did not use it on this trip, we also could have had a Noon check-in and 4 PM check-out.

The room was on the small side, but magnificent none-the-less. I laughed when I saw the minibar cabinet labeled "Private Wine Cellar" until I opened it and found it was double the normal size with 6 full bottles of various wines in addition to the usual snacks, etc. The bathroom was a dream with the best personal care products we have ever seen. We even purchased some to take home with us! The continental breakfast the next morning was excellent with bowls of fresh raspberries, blueberries, blackberries and strawberries and enough pastry to feed a large family.

While the accommodations are great, it is the service that makes the Ritz stand out. Every single level of service far exceeded my expectations. Nobody ever failed to greet us, many times by name. It is an interesting experience to walk down a hall and have the staff (who is discretely connected by radio) say "Hello, Mr. X" and "Good Morning, Mr. X" when you haven't met them yet. When we asked for extra bath products, we neglected to remove the "Do Not Disturb" sign from our door. After calling housekeeping, I was surprised about 2 minutes later to have the phone ring and be told that the staff was outside my door and did not knock because my sign was there. When we wanted to go to downtown Half Moon Bay (the shopping and food are outstanding!) we were told that the valet would take care of our request. After speaking with the valet, he immediately arranged for a private chauffer to take us to our destination. For the return trip we were provided with a cell phone number. After dining, I asked the hostess to place the call for us and the car (a black Cadillac Escalade) was waiting for us when we exited the restaurant.

The lounge, fire pit, spa, golf course and wine cellar all match the service and substance of the room - it's a full package of excellence.

If you ever need to feel like royalty when you get away, this hotel is the place to go!

Negatives: Emergency flashlight needed to be replaced, some paperwork did not match our American Express benefits (but we got all of the benefits without asking). $35 parking fee is excessive.

Positives: Service! Service! Oh yah - Service! Beautiful coastline, exquisite surroundings inside and out.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (340)
  • Korean first
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 28, 2005

Our Family took a family trip to halfmoon bay and we stay at the ritz carlton halfmoon bay. We just love this property. The view is amazing. We stay at the club level, the food presentation is just wonderful and is money well spend. I believe is about 150 dollars more for the whole entire family. We didn't go out to eat at all. The front desk lady also upgraded our room to coastal view instead of just garden view. We only stay one night, but it was just wonderful. I will recommand this property to everyone.

california
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 20, 2005

Before arriving with my husband, two and five year old boy's, I totally checked this place out. After all we are talking $695.00 a night. Yes, you will get Club level, a beautiful balcony, and an amazing ocean view, lunch by the pool. Well....only 9 rooms have balcony's, the pool is exactly 1 mile away, oh ya, there is no food or beverage service at the pool. Also you share the pool with the community that lives in the condo's. We had three room changes, we were totally in the the wrong building for club service, and the best part..first morning we woke up, under our door was someone else's bill, and they paid $250.00 a night. It was a mess from moment go...If I heard one more time "It's my pleasure", I think I could have lost it! Such a bummer. The mngmt. could of cared a less. However, once I got home, the General Manger did care, and was able to take care of some of this mess. In general, you pay the money for truly a top notch experience, and when it snowballs, it's so tough to shake that Ritz experience. We have been invited back, but...I still am not so sure.

St. Louis, MO
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 29, 2005

My wife and I just returned from a three night stay at the Ritz. When we checked in I was informed that the room we reserved was not available and was placed in the guest "house" room with two double beds. I was furious. As much as I complained I could not be moved. The guest "house" rooms are a short walk from the main hotel. They are in no way a house but rather a two story apartment type building with a view to the golf course. The walls were very thin and I heard the tv from the room next to ours until 2:00 am. The double beds were small but comfortable. I had requested a king bed and was not happy about having to sleep in such a small bed. I had to sleep with my Bose headphones the first night because the noise from next store was so loud. I must say the description of the unit as a guest house is insulting.

The next morning we were moved to a king bed room in the main hotel with small patio. The room was typical Ritz with great sheets, nice robes, nice furniture etc. The patio overlooked the lawn where parties were held but also looked to the ocean. It was nice to have the patio even thought it was not private. The maid service was excellent and the bellman were very nice.

We were there for a meeting the first two days and the food at all the functions was outstanding. We had dinner one night at Navio. The dinner was good but not incredible. The wine list was very expensive. We had a bottle for 75$ that retails for 19$. Three and a half times mark-up seems a little high to me. The wine was good and the food was enjoyable.

The spa was very nice. We did not have any services but used the steam room and whirlpool. It is included in the resort fee. The location of the hotel his wonderful. It is very romantic and wonderful. We used bikes which were also free and rode along the coast for about 8 miles each way. We also played a round of golf on the Ocean course. It was in nice shape and very scenic. Some of the holes were a little boring with many parallel fairways.

In Summary:
Great place for a long romantic weekend.
Definately stay in the main hotel and not the guest "house"
Bring warm clothes as it gets cold at night

• Stayed June 2005, traveled on business
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 1, 2005

My wife and I just spent an evening here for our anniversary. This was our first stay at a Ritz hotel, although we're planning a trip to the Ritz in Kapalua for later this year. While expensive, if you're at a stage in life where you can afford it, this is simply a wonderful place and worth the money. We loved the classy decor of the hotel, and the views here are spectacular, reminding me of the Montage Resort in Laguna Beach. Out of town guests should be advised that a stay on the coast this time of the year can result in lots of fog, notwithstanding sunny conditions in the rest of the Bay area. Speaking of out of town guests, we were pleasantly surprised by how many different languages we heard during our stay. While only an hour from our home, we really felt like we had gotten away. The golf was very good. We would concur with other recommendations to stay in the main hotel. We would also very highly recommend dinner at Navio's. We've seen some suggestions that the restaurant is overpriced, but we don't agree, with one exception -- the corkage fee was $50. However, that did not change our view that this restaurant, and the setting, is terrific. On the second day of our stay, the sun came out midday. For the balance of the day there were about 100 guests lounging in the chairs overlooking the 18th green of the "old course," politely cheering on the golfers and otherwise enjoying the setting. It was simply wonderful. We will be back!

Sacramento, CA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 31, 2005

Our stay at the Ritz Carlton, Half Moon Bay was by far one of our best travel experiences ever. From the moment we checked in to the time we departed the staff treated us like royalty. The hotel itself is understatedly elegant with magnificent views of the California coast. We were upgraded to a suite on a busy holiday weekend for no apparent reason. High Tea in the salon was one of the highlights of our trip as was the Sunday Brunch. If you have a chance to stay here - DO - you'll be glad you did!

Arlington, Texas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 31, 2005

My husband and I have stayed at several Ritz hotels and this has been the nicest so far. Somehow the people that work there radio your name to each other, so you are greeted by your name from serveral people upon entering the hotel. The downside is you must valet and there is an extra charge to keep your car over night. We were always offered directions and water from the valet guys, which was a nice gesture. The rooms were very nice and had fresh flowers every day. The bed was sooo comfy that I didn't want to return to my own. The hotel found out our hobbies and likes and would sent little gifts to our room everyday. We are not rich nor are we celebrities but they sure made us feel that way.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Half Moon Bay
Harbor View Inn
#8 of 8 in Half Moon Bay
3.0 of 5 stars 110 reviews
BEST WESTERN PLUS Lighthouse Hotel

Been to The Ritz-Carlton, Half Moon Bay? Share your experiences!