“If not now when? Great, worth the money” 5 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Fire and Wine Package
Ranked #2 of 8 Hotels in Half Moon Bay
New York
“If not now when? Great, worth the money”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 5, 2009

I did not want to leave this fabulous hotel. The room was comfortable, clean, quiet. The Navio restaurant was very good. Everyone was professional and service oriented. We were there over a sold out weekend, did not have any delays as mentioned in other posts. Room service was great also. We had a room that had an outdoor fire pit—watching the sea and sipping wine with a fire pit—exceptional! Minor criticisms: we never could get the wireless to work on either of our laptops. Also there are a lot of people walking around the hotel on the various paths. People can use the paths and beach who are not staying at the resort (they even provide parking for them in the hotel parking deck)---and the visitor number seemed to be very high. Played golf on the two courses that are not run by the Ritz---they are on the resort property, very well done and lots of fun. Again there seemed to be a problem with all the people walking the paths. On one hole our group had all landed balls on the green only to be horrified to find small children playing in the sand bunker. What if one of our balls had hit those children! Would go again.

• Stayed July 2009, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (256)
Sacramento, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 5, 2009

This is the only real 5 Star resort I am familiar with on the Northern California coast and hence the prices are high and the hotel seems to be pretty fully booked. We booked a one bedroom suite with an outside patio with it's own firepit. Our room was in a seperate wing a few hundred yards from the main building. We booked it because of the view and the firepit. Our only complaint is that we felt a little isolated not being in the main building and when we sat down at our firepit our great view became obstructed by an elevated berm on the golf course. Next time we will book in the main building. Although they have only one one bedroom suite with a fireplace there, we will just take advantage of their two large firepits open to all guests. Overall, great views, restaurant and service.

• Stayed June 2009, traveled with family
Chicago, Illinois
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 29, 2009

Had a "sister stay" here for my birthday. By some luck we were upgraded to the Presidential Suite. It had three fireplaces and two bedrooms. Fresh flowers at turndown. We reserved a package with Club Level privledges which I highly recommend. Great breakfast, lunch, appetizers and dessert. Unbelieveable. Great firepits and adirondack chairs around the ocean at sunset ( could purchase s'more choc, grahams and marshmellows) with bagpipes in the background. Bring a warm jacket as it dips to the 50's at night. But an unbelievable experience. I hear the golfing and spa are great but we didn't get to any of this...just relaxed and met a great couple and thier daughter and sat and sipped java & wine & sparkling water. Jazz and burgers & beer in an elegant setting before sundown in the lounge. I travel all over the world for business. The Ritz was the best of the best. Definately a must see.

• Stayed June 2009, traveled with friends
Ohio
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 25, 2009

We stayed for 2 nights, June 18-20. We were given a room with a balcony, so we had an amazing view of the ocean. We have stayed at other Ritz and Four Season Hotels and this has to be of the tops. The service was outstanding from the time we arrived. The food in the Club level was very good, the first day the selection was sparse but Friday and Saturday was impressive. You must try the Spa, everything was first class. It was my wife's birthday and the hotel sent some gifts to our room, a nice touch. The only small complaint could be their restaurant. The food was good but not great, yet we paid high end prices. My feeling was we paid these prices for the view not the food. Overall, the manager has made this a first class destination.

San Francisco
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 22, 2009

This is the letter I sent to their corporate website...

On June 21st, 2009, I took my 9s months pregnant wife to the Ritz-Carlton Half Moon Bay Hotel Resort for a day at the spa and a nice dinner before she gave birth. I specifically sought out your Half Moon Bay Resort because the spa offered a comprehensive menu of pre-natal treatments. Because it was a Ritz-Carlton property, I felt confident that it would be a high-end experience commensurate with your good reputation. We stayed on the club level, room 505, because we like the services offered by the club level of high end hotels. However I was considerably disappointed in the poor level of customer service that we received during our visit.

When we arrived, we sat in a traffic line for 25 minutes just to pull into the front portico. Apparently the valets were having trouble keeping up with the departures and arrivals. Given that this was a Sunday, I can understand the increased volume but this isn’t even high season. I can understand a traffic jam in an urban hotel with city traffic but this shouldn’t occur at a hotel of this caliber in the middle of rural coastline, regardless of the volume.

On the positive side, the front desk was able to let us into our room early and allowed us to have lunch in the club level while housekeeping finished cleaning our room. I will also say that the spa services were nice and they treated my wife very well.

On Sunday night, we had 6pm reservations at the restaurant, Nuvio, which opened at 6pm so we had the first seating. That night, the chef’s father, a renowned chef from France, was in town for a Father’s day event where he would cook along side his son. When we arrived, all of the 6pm reservations had to wait 15 minutes for the father/son photo shoot to end. There were at least 20 people waiting at the front of the restaurant while the photographer casually chatted with the chef and his father. I felt like I was waiting for the Old Country Buffet to open. Again, this is not something that should be tolerated at a high-end resort hotel.

During dinner, my wife had the special five course menu specifically created for the father/son event and I ordered three courses off the standard menu. The food was very good and our server Damian was very nice and knowledgeable. However halfway through the meal, our main course was considerably late. There was a 45 minute delay between my soup and main course. Damian informed us that the kitchen was backed up and offered us anything we wanted while we waited. This was a nice gesture. Shortly later I saw Damian and his other server colleagues stacked up at the server station waiting for their dishes. All were noticeably frustrated. We finally received our courses with apologies from Damian. Although Damian performed superbly, having a 45 minute kitchen delay within the first hour of business in a half-full restaurant is not acceptable for a high-end resort hotel.

At this point, our experience at the R-C Half Moon Bay Resort Hotel had some annoyances but I was willing to look past them based on my wife’s pleasurable spa experience. This would soon end on Monday morning. When we awoke, I noticed a light on the phone. I called down to the operator and he informed me that they needed to run my credit card again and to come down at my convenience. We got ready and headed to the Club Lounge for breakfast. When we tried to enter, our key cards wouldn’t work. We headed back to our room and the key cards wouldn’t work in our door. We were locked out of our own room with all of our belongings inside! Significantly annoyed, I headed down to the front desk.

At the front desk, the person on duty (short Hispanic man with a shaved head) said that we had no credit card on record. I told him that they ran it when we arrived and he replied that it didn’t go through. He needed another card. I asked if that was the reason that we are locked out of our room. He pleaded ignorance and ran my other card. He then issued us new key cards. When I asked why he didn’t tell me that my credit card company put a temporary hold on the charge (due to other purchases we made earlier in the weekend), he gave me a blank look and didn’t respond. Disgusted, I grabbed my new key cards and returned to my room.

These days, credit card companies regularly put temporary holds on charges as part of their fraud prevention. I have had this particular card for 11 years and each time they put a temporary hold on a charge, they always notify the merchant to “please call.” This policy is an annoying but understandable policy that is employed by all credit card companies. There is absolutely no reason why this should have been a surprise to your front desk staff.

After having breakfast in the Club Lounge, I called my credit card company and they immediately removed the temporary hold on the card. We gathered our belongings and headed back to the front desk to check out. At check out, I spoke with a new person who was unaware of the event. She put the charges back on the original credit card, continued my check out and referred me to the manager for my complaint. He came out (tall Caucasian man with a bald head) and I told him what had occurred. I asked him if the credit card hold was why we got locked out of our room. In a very condescending tone, he said yes this was standard policy and he was sorry. So I asked him if they always lock people out of their rooms when this very common credit card hold occurs. Again in his condescending tone, he said yes this was their policy. I told him that this wasn’t the Holiday Inn and we weren’t in Oakland (reputed high crime area). This was the Ritz-Carlton. He just gave me a smart aleck grin and said sorry. He then asked if I was checking out, I replied yes and he immediately turned away to head back to his office leaving me standing there at the desk. I was dumbfounded by the rudeness that I just witnessed from the manager of your resort property.

Now this is where customer service theory of one unhappy customer leads to seven lost customers. We are frequent travelers who always stay in high-end hotels. Our particular favorites are Four Seasons, Kimpton and W Hotels. On occasion, we have stayed at Ritz properties but they haven’t stood out compared to your competition with respect to customer service. As residents of the San Francisco Bay Area, I was hoping that your Half Moon Bay property would be a closer alternative to our regular visits to the Intercontinental on Monterey Peninsula. I was clearly wrong.

I am an executive in the medical device industry, a major industry in the Bay Area, and regularly discuss vacation ideas with my colleagues and extended professional network. Not only will I not recommend your Half Moon Bay Resort Hotel to those who ask, I intend to go out of my way to actively share my unpleasant experience. This includes friends, family, colleagues, industry associates, neighbors, people in the grocery store, people sitting next to me on the airplane, parents on my son’s t-ball team, the mailman and anyone else who will listen. You will also see this same complaint on several travel websites, blogs and local event websites.

In the service industry, the only thing that separates the competition is customer service. In this difficult economy, customer service like what I experienced will certainly impact your bottom line. My satisfaction will come from turning as many people away as I can from the Ritz-Carlton Half Moon Bay Resort Hotel.

San Diego, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 22, 2009

From the moment you pull your car up to the entrance of the hotel, customer service is amazing. Everyone welcomes you and tries to assist you. We stayed in the suites set apart from the hotel. We had amazing ocean views and the view of Hole 18. We watched the golfers play their way toward the main hotel.

The lounge, restaurant and bar at the main hotel is a great place to relax and have food and drink. There is only one gift shop. We didn't have a chance to visit the spa. There are 2 gyms and 2 pools on site. All are relatively small, so if there is a crowd expect to wait.

We didn't play any golf this trip.

This price is high for many things here, so plan ahead. It's what I expect from a top hotel like the Ritz.

Singer Island, Florida
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 19, 2009

We chose this location at the conclusion of a visit to Sonoma Wine Country, as it seemed to offer the illusion exclusivity while maintaining proximity to SFO. I booked a "Bed & Breakfast" package on the hotel's website which also included the daily Resort Fee and Overnight Parking. We were accommodated with a "Pacific Ocean View" room with stunning vistas of the rugged coastline and ocean. The room was well-maintained and quiet. The bed was comfortable and the linens were pristine. This Ritz Carlton has a casual atmosphere with a luxury beach house vibe. The staff is pleasant but not as polished as the usual standard in this hotel chain. The service was very laid-back, so if you are anticipating the usual "ladies and gentlemen" of the Ritz, you will be disappointed. The Breakfast and Dinner menus offered in Navio were interesting and the food was good. The dining room was not busy, but the service was very low-maintenance. The weather was somewhat nippy and very windy and that discouraged my husband from playing golf; however, we did enjoy some walks along the coastal path. There is complimentary shuttle service to the town of Half Moon Bay, but IMHO, it is not worth visiting. There was one interesting art gallery, but we found most of the shops to be somewhat seedy. We enjoyed our lunch at an eclectic, somewhat funky eatery by the name of "Chez Shea." One other point of interest is that our trip from Healdsburg to Half Moon Bay coincided with the "Pacific Coast Dream Machines" exhibition held at the Half Moon Bay Airport. When I called the hotel that morning for driving instructions, I was not told about the event and necessity of an alternate route to bypass the gridlock. I called the hotel again when we became immeshed in traffic but was told that we were past the point of remedy. We were stuck on Highway-1 for a full hour to go a mere distance of 8 miles. On the other hand, our trip to SFO on Tuesday was a breeze.

• Stayed April 2009, traveled as a couple

Been to The Ritz-Carlton, Half Moon Bay? Share your experiences!