“A True Luxury Experience” 5 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Fire and Wine Package
Ranked #2 of 8 Hotels in Half Moon Bay
Folsom, California
“A True Luxury Experience”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 6, 2014

The experience not only met, but exceeded my expectations from a Ritz. The location is one of the most beautiful in the world. The fire pit outside at sunset (with a beverage) is an experience you Must do!
My last stay was at one of the bungalow's, it was more quiet than the main building, and we used the fireplace inside and fire pit outside.
If you have the time, bring your clubs, both courses are wonderful, if it's your first time, make sure to hit the ocean course.

Room Tip: The main building has a room at top looking out over the 18th hole, fire pit, and the bay, get it if...
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
Ritz-CarltonHMB, Executive Office at The Ritz-Carlton, Half Moon Bay, responded to this review, June 11, 2014
Dear Mark N,

Thank you for your review. We are delighted to hear your recent stay exceeded your expectations. As you found, one of our resort’s finer pleasures is also one of its simplest: watching the sunset over the Pacific from the comfort of your private patio. A glass of wine by the fire pit makes the experience all the more special. We hope to see you again soon in Half Moon Bay—and out on the links.

The Ladies and Gentlemen of The Ritz-Carlton, Half Moon Bay

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (285)
San Jose, California
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 3, 2014

In an effort to explore more in our own backyard and spoil ourselves for our wedding anniversary, my husband and I booked a long weekend at the Ritz Carlton Half Moon Bay. We picked an ocean view room as that's what I really care about - hearing the waves and seeing the ocean. After reading other TA reviews here I opted against the fire pit room out of consideration for privacy. If you too are mainly interested in seeing the ocean I would suggest you go for the fire pit room and just deal with the lack of privacy. The windows in the ocean view room are TINY. We arrived on a Thursday evening and checked in to our room. When we checked in I noticed the King-size bed we had booked looked an awful lot like a Queen, but I didn't mention anything at the time thinking perhaps looks were deceiving. I booked a bath service for myself that night and relaxed in the amazing tub before retiring to bed. The next morning I was awoken by the sound of water being sprayed on the patio furniture outside. A LOT of water. It went on for over two hours. I understand needing to keep the property clean, but given that it was 7am and that California is in the middle of an incredible drought it just seemed ridiculous, and quite frankly made me angry. Understanding that this is a golf course property and that there is always a lot of upkeep for any resort, but at for instance a Four Seasons property, you never see it actually happen. At the Ritz though you'll not only hear it at 7am you'll see it going on all day.

So the bed. Not a King size bed. Seriously. I own a King size bed; sleep it in every night. The bed in our room was closer to a Queen size. We inquired at the front desk about it, were told that no, it was King size, in no way could it be anything other. We were shown another room for comparison and yep, still the same not-King-size bed. We were told perhaps we own a California King versus an Eastern King (we do not). We were told perhaps we just didn't realize what a King size was like. I mean... come on. I honestly felt like the entire staff was trying to cover up the fact that some mattress salesman had pulled a fast one on them and had all agreed to stick to the story. So we have a crappy bed that we're not comfortable at all in. It was CLEAR that we were unhappy with this. No one seemed to care. The attitude was that we were wrong and there was nothing they could do.

Here's the thing about a property like this. There's not a whole lot to do in HMB. You come here for a romantic weekend or a business conference. If it's business, fine, you're busy. If it's for a romantic weekend you're looking for downtime and to enjoy the property, time with your partner, and the accommodations. You're likely spending a good deal of time in your room. When that room is uncomfortable you are unhappy, and even more so because you're spending a ton of money on it. I came very close to checking out early and heading to Vegas to salvage the rest of the weekend, but because we were trying to enjoy the local area, we decided to stick with it. It did not get better. We should have left, because it was a complete waste of money. Even aside from the bed, the rooms themselves are badly in need of an update as they feel tired and worn. The bathtub is amazing but the shower is so small you can't even step out of the water stream to shampoo your hair. It's a weird layout and wasted space in the toilet area.

After our stay we received the survey in which I left much the same comment as I am leaving here. I received an email back apologizing and asking for the OK to contact me via phone. It is now a month later and I have yet to hear anything. We will not be returning to this property ever again and I don't believe will ever stay at another Ritz. This just confirmed my Four Seasons loyalty.

Yes the view is amazing. Go for dinner or drinks, but do not stay here. It will be a waste.

• Stayed April 2014, traveled as a couple
Ritz-CarltonHMB, Executive Office at The Ritz-Carlton, Half Moon Bay, responded to this review, June 4, 2014
Dear April K,

Thank you for taking the time to write this review. We apologize for not following up sooner by telephone. It goes without saying that your wedding anniversary is a truly important occasion, and we regret we could not better serve you during such a special time. Please know that we take your feedback very seriously and are committed to restoring your trust in The Ritz-Carlton Hotel Company.

We certainly understand your concerns on the drought conditions given the current state in California. To play our part in water conservation our irrigation water is from our reclaimed water source as is the water we use for our weekly power washing. We have noted your comments and are adapting our watering times.

You noted privacy as a concern with our rooms featuring fire pits. While the outdoor patio areas are relatively open, we have found that many guests prefer the completely unobstructed, panoramic views. We can assure you that every room and suite is designed for maximum privacy and security, but ultimately room choice comes down to a matter of preference. We are always happy to find any guest a more suitable accommodations.

Lastly, we are sorry to hear you found the bed in your guest room to be uncomfortable. Guests frequently cite our feather beds as a favorite feature. We hope you will accept our apologies for what sounds like a lack of proper explanation and compassion from our team at the resort.

We’d love the chance to speak with you further. We can be reached by calling 650-712-7001. We hope to see you again someday at The Ritz-Carlton, Half Moon Bay and show you how special a stay at our resort can be.

The Executive Office, The Ritz-Carlton, Half Moon Bay
Orinda, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 2, 2014

The hotel faces the ocean with a golf course on 3 sides, making for a dramatic setting. Parking is by valet at $45 per night and there is a daily resort fee of $25. All guests have access to a well equipped exercise room along with men's and women's spa areas with steam, sauna, and hot tub. A nice touch is an area in between for use by both men and women. There are two restaurants, both with views, and wide menu selections. Rooms are average in size with rather small televisions tucked into a shelving unit, but did include a DVD player. There was no electrical outlet above the desk so we had to crawl underneath to plug in our chargers. Except for only a single sink, the bathroom was great and included a separate tub and shower. Be advised that not all rooms have significant views, so choose your room type carefully.

The Club lounge staff were friendly and helpful. A variety of newspapers are available. Food and beverage offerings in the lounge were good except for the afternoon "tea time" service which was limited to desserts left over from lunch and tea water that was tepid at best. The lounge offers a nice selection of beverages, both with alcohol and without.

Although I am a Platinum member, no room upgrade was offered, so it's unclear if there's any real benefit to achieving Platinum status, at least at this property.

Room Tip: Upgrading to Club level may be worthwhile if you will have time to benefit from the Club offerings.
  • Stayed April 2014, traveled as a couple
Port Clinton, Ohio
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 29, 2014

I had the pleasure of being able to stay at the Ritz Carlton at Half Moon Bay this past April and I think, without a doubt, this hotel will go down as the #1 most luxurious, beautiful, serene place I've ever stayed. I was there for a quasi-business meeting/getaway with my husband. essentially with business partners for some meetings but we had spouses along with us. Wow. We were on the concierge level (a must if you're staying at a Ritz - totally worth the extra cost.) Being a Marriott rewards member, I had booked a room for one of my business partners and his wife along with a room for my husband and I (so I could get the points!) Because we booked together, we were totally blown away when we got a fabulous upgrade to a two bedroom suite. The most amazing room I've ever stayed in. I imagine what it must be like to really be rich and famous! We had the most beautiful view of the pacific ocean. I can't even describe it. We sat at fire pits outside and drank wine, we went on a Segueway tour, we loafed around in the concierge lounge… I will always remember that hotel. It will go on my bucket list as a place I want to return to someday with my kids.

Room Tip: Concierge level is a significant cost to a room at the Ritz but it's so worth it. Food, wine, be...
  • Stayed April 2014, traveled with friends
Ritz-CarltonHMB, Executive Office at The Ritz-Carlton, Half Moon Bay, responded to this review, June 3, 2014
Dear amhlawyer,

Thank you for sharing such kind words about your recent stay at The Ritz-Carlton, Half Moon Bay. It was our pleasure to welcome you and your husband for a leisurely getaway with a bit of business mixed in. As you mentioned, our Club Level is a truly exceptional way to experience our resort, and we’re pleased you found comfort and convenience in your suite. We look forward to the opportunity to treat your whole family to an equally memorable stay someday soon. Until then, please let us know if there is anything we can do to be of service.

Boston, Massachusetts
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 28, 2014

We just went for drinks. The sun was shining, the drinks were cold, the surf was crashing, the LPGA US Open qualifier was going on. It was an amazing location ! Visit for the evening or stay for a while. You won't be disappointed !

• Stayed May 2014, traveled on business
Brackney, Pennsylvania
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 28, 2014

This is one of the Ritz's finer hotels and we thoroughly enjoyed our stay on the concierge level. Although it was November the weather was beautiful and we walked the grounds everyday. The bagpiper at sunset is a highlight at with an outdoor cocktail before dinner and the food and wine in the restaurant are top notch! Our room was beautiful, clean and had the most stunning view of the ocean cliffs and grounds imaginable. The concierge level was totally worth it from breakfast in the morning to lunch, snacks and an evening nightcap. I highly recommend this luxury hotel in the most beautiful of settings!

• Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
Ritz-CarltonHMB, Executive Office at The Ritz-Carlton, Half Moon Bay, responded to this review, May 30, 2014
Dear ccfitzny,
We appreciate you taking time to share your experience at The Ritz-Carlton, Half Moon Bay. It’s wonderful to know you enjoyed a relaxing stay last November “in the most beautiful of settings.” As you noted, simply walking the grounds is a pleasure unto itself—especially at dusk or dawn, when the light is just right. We look forward to seeing you at the resort someday soon. If you would like any assistance arranging a stay on our Club Level, we would be more than happy to help.

Silicon Valley, CA USA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 28, 2014

The wife and I just had our 30th wedding anniversary and we decided to splurge just for a bit on that weekend.
What do you expect - It's the Ritz!
It's wall to wall great service and accomodations.
We stayed on the 5th floor and included the "Lounge" to our reservavtion, it was worth it.
Dinner at Navio was very nice.
The following day Sunday Brunch ($$$/ea) at Navio also was unstoppable to say the least.
Like I said - it was well worth it and my wife was very happy. That's all that matters.

Room Tip: Our room was on the west end of the property, practically facing the 18th hole of the magnificent go...
  • Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple

Been to The Ritz-Carlton, Half Moon Bay? Share your experiences!