“Don't over think it. Come here. Stay here.” 5 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Complimentary Breakfast
Ranked #1 of 8 Hotels in Half Moon Bay
Dallas, Texas
“Don't over think it. Come here. Stay here.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 27, 2013

Excellent resort and hotel.
It is expensive, you definitely get what you pay for.
The staff can make every reasonable request happen. Pet friendly.
Pros-
Everything. Beautiful views, comfortable swanky hotel. Wines - incredible, of course.
Cons-
Pricey.
25-30 minute ride from San Francisco depending on traffic.
Food - was good, but not fantastic. Excellent presentation and plating. Seemed a little bland. Califonia "healthy living"influence? Enjoyed cheaper, tastier food in the town of Half Moon Bay.

Came here for golf. Even if you are not a golfer this is a great place.
And the town of Half Moon bay is quaint, easy to navigate and interesting.
Golf-
What a beautiful course(s).
Strange thing- no driving range to warm up on.
Greens- the most difficult ones you will putt on. They do not hold the ball. A mid iron shot must be played short with the strategy to run up. Even a pitching wedge will run. Plan to use your gap, sand or lob wedges for a high shot that drops straight down if you plan to go flag hunting.
The Ocean Course in a thing of beauty. It is for giving allowing you to recover errant shots without too much penalty.
The Old Course is more challenging. Here you need to bring your A game.
Green fees are $180+ particularly on weekends.
Food at Mullins was just OK and service can be slow. Cart girls were invisible. Apparently for such a swanky expensive course, they only hire 2 or 3 cart ladies.

The hotel staff is fantastic and accomodating. I asked one of the housekeeping staff if they liked working here and the answer was, "It is like family here". And it shows.

Don't over think the decision to stay here. You will not be disappointed.

Room Tip: Any room is great. They have rooms with private gas flamed fire pits. Ocean views are the best.
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (319)
  • Korean first
Palm Springs, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 27, 2013 via mobile

I am very lucky enough to get to travel and stay in some amazing properties across the globe. We arrived on Thursday and stayed for three nights in one of the cottage suites (which I thought was a little sparsely furnished and tired). The personal fire pit was a cool feature. The hotel property is peaceful, scenic and convenient with an easy drive from either San Jose or San Francisco airports. First impressions say "we have arrived at a 'Ritz Carlton' ". The first impressions didn't last long. If you've ever stayed at a RC, you know there is a certain expectation for level of service. It fell a little short here, especially in the food service department. We had dinner on property the first evening. It was fair, not great. The following morning we made our way to breakfast and were seated in the dining room. Three separate staff and 10min later we finally received coffee and water. The service didn't get any better. If I was at Denny's or Mimi's Cafe I wouldn't care so much. But if you are asking me to spend $70 on a waffle and omelet in the Ritz Carlton, your damn right I expect better service! So, all in all it's a lovely property. It appears to be great for golfers (which I am not). We may have just hit a blip on the radar with the service we received. It certainly wouldn't stop me from returning or recommending this hotel.

Stayed October 2013, traveled on business
Tulsa, Oklahoma
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 26, 2013 via mobile

My wife and I stayed at the Ritz for our 20th Anniversary. The service was first class and the location was unbelievable. You must get the rooms with the fire pits. We used our fire pit in the morning and evening with views of the golf course and ocean. We were treated very nice with extras for our anniversary. The cost is high but well worth it for special occasions. The restaurants were great and the deck overlooking the ocean was perfect to have a drink and watch the sunset. Had a great drive down the coast to Carmel. Highly recommend.

Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
Norton Shores, Michigan
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 22, 2013

We stayed here for two nights and felt spoiled and relaxed. Although we are not golfers, it was a wonderfully romantic place to visit. The golf course is right on the ocean and must be a wonderful place to have a round of 18 holes with friends. We stayed at the Club Level and wouldn't have needed a meal elsewhere! Staff throughout made our stay memorable. We were greeted at the check in desk with a glass of wine and they provided me with a little birthday gift in my room and a nice dessert at dinner. We definitely would stay there again.

Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
Denver, Colorado
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 16, 2013

My wife and I went here for our wedding anniversary, and while our celebration was lovely, the venue fell short of expectations. I will concede that this locale was hyped very much to me, and I had high expectations, but for this high price point of luxury and it being a Ritz, I don't think they were unreasonable. All the positive views about the location and setting are spot on--the views are spectacular, the coastline is dramatic, and I would highly recommend enjoying happy hour and sunset on the fire pit patio while listening to the bag piper---the atmosphere is romantic, festive, while still being relaxing. My main quarrel with the experience was the level of service was not commensurate with the price point. The staff made it very difficult to bring our well behaved dog, and it was only after prodding them multiple times that I discovered their dog friendly 'cottages' on the property that allow for canine residents. The rooms have nice facades, but they lacked attention to detail---our deck was dirty with lots of chipped paint, and the cleaning staff consistently forgot to pick up used dishes. The highly touted food was average, and hackneyed. I really wanted this venue to deliver an experience that was deserved with its top rating, but it was not good value. Pick another lodge, and just visit the happy hour and beach instead.

Sanfrancisco
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 15, 2013

I love this place, we go usually around Halloween time yearly, I'm always have great time, food services, spa and the view is just mesmerizing. I really recommend it all around the year, however it is fantastic in the fall time, now get your loved one and enjoy it

Houston, Texas
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 14, 2013

My husband and I enjoyed a long weekend at this property. The hotel is situated on a very picturesque piece of property on the coast. While the hotel is nice; it is small. While there on Thursday and Friday, my husband and I enjoyed peaceful views of the ocean and quiet meals among other travelers who had paid $$$ for all that the Ritz provides. However, beginning on Friday night and continuing into the rest of the weekend -- many, many Californians came into the hotel to sightsee. The hotel provides an on-site, free multi-level parking garage for the public to access the beach. With that privilege, many, many people from off-property come to enjoy the same sights the hotel guests pay to see. They often do not respect the solitude and peace that the hotel guests crave. They also take up many of the spa appointments, outside seating facing the ocean and meal reservations. Be aware of this before booking your reservation.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple

Been to The Ritz-Carlton, Half Moon Bay? Share your experiences!