“Not SO Ritzy” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #2 of 8 Hotels in Half Moon Bay
Palm Springs, California
“Not SO Ritzy”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 27, 2013 via mobile

I am very lucky enough to get to travel and stay in some amazing properties across the globe. We arrived on Thursday and stayed for three nights in one of the cottage suites (which I thought was a little sparsely furnished and tired). The personal fire pit was a cool feature. The hotel property is peaceful, scenic and convenient with an easy drive from either San Jose or San Francisco airports. First impressions say "we have arrived at a 'Ritz Carlton' ". The first impressions didn't last long. If you've ever stayed at a RC, you know there is a certain expectation for level of service. It fell a little short here, especially in the food service department. We had dinner on property the first evening. It was fair, not great. The following morning we made our way to breakfast and were seated in the dining room. Three separate staff and 10min later we finally received coffee and water. The service didn't get any better. If I was at Denny's or Mimi's Cafe I wouldn't care so much. But if you are asking me to spend $70 on a waffle and omelet in the Ritz Carlton, your damn right I expect better service! So, all in all it's a lovely property. It appears to be great for golfers (which I am not). We may have just hit a blip on the radar with the service we received. It certainly wouldn't stop me from returning or recommending this hotel.

Stayed October 2013, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (284)
Tulsa, Oklahoma
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 26, 2013 via mobile

My wife and I stayed at the Ritz for our 20th Anniversary. The service was first class and the location was unbelievable. You must get the rooms with the fire pits. We used our fire pit in the morning and evening with views of the golf course and ocean. We were treated very nice with extras for our anniversary. The cost is high but well worth it for special occasions. The restaurants were great and the deck overlooking the ocean was perfect to have a drink and watch the sunset. Had a great drive down the coast to Carmel. Highly recommend.

Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
Norton Shores, Michigan
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 22, 2013

We stayed here for two nights and felt spoiled and relaxed. Although we are not golfers, it was a wonderfully romantic place to visit. The golf course is right on the ocean and must be a wonderful place to have a round of 18 holes with friends. We stayed at the Club Level and wouldn't have needed a meal elsewhere! Staff throughout made our stay memorable. We were greeted at the check in desk with a glass of wine and they provided me with a little birthday gift in my room and a nice dessert at dinner. We definitely would stay there again.

Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
Denver, Colorado
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 16, 2013

My wife and I went here for our wedding anniversary, and while our celebration was lovely, the venue fell short of expectations. I will concede that this locale was hyped very much to me, and I had high expectations, but for this high price point of luxury and it being a Ritz, I don't think they were unreasonable. All the positive views about the location and setting are spot on--the views are spectacular, the coastline is dramatic, and I would highly recommend enjoying happy hour and sunset on the fire pit patio while listening to the bag piper---the atmosphere is romantic, festive, while still being relaxing. My main quarrel with the experience was the level of service was not commensurate with the price point. The staff made it very difficult to bring our well behaved dog, and it was only after prodding them multiple times that I discovered their dog friendly 'cottages' on the property that allow for canine residents. The rooms have nice facades, but they lacked attention to detail---our deck was dirty with lots of chipped paint, and the cleaning staff consistently forgot to pick up used dishes. The highly touted food was average, and hackneyed. I really wanted this venue to deliver an experience that was deserved with its top rating, but it was not good value. Pick another lodge, and just visit the happy hour and beach instead.

Sanfrancisco
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 15, 2013

I love this place, we go usually around Halloween time yearly, I'm always have great time, food services, spa and the view is just mesmerizing. I really recommend it all around the year, however it is fantastic in the fall time, now get your loved one and enjoy it

Houston, Texas
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 14, 2013

My husband and I enjoyed a long weekend at this property. The hotel is situated on a very picturesque piece of property on the coast. While the hotel is nice; it is small. While there on Thursday and Friday, my husband and I enjoyed peaceful views of the ocean and quiet meals among other travelers who had paid $$$ for all that the Ritz provides. However, beginning on Friday night and continuing into the rest of the weekend -- many, many Californians came into the hotel to sightsee. The hotel provides an on-site, free multi-level parking garage for the public to access the beach. With that privilege, many, many people from off-property come to enjoy the same sights the hotel guests pay to see. They often do not respect the solitude and peace that the hotel guests crave. They also take up many of the spa appointments, outside seating facing the ocean and meal reservations. Be aware of this before booking your reservation.

DC
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 13, 2013 via mobile

If you like ocean and golf course views, it's hard to find a better location than this. The October weather was dry and sunny when we visited, so it added to the ambience, although we experienced the Half Moon Bay wind and chill during one of the evenings outdoors. The staff thoughtfully provided blankets for those who didn't dress warmly enough. We were here for a conference, so we had wide exposure to the food and service. It met expectations, and some of the recipes with locally sourced ingredients proved first rate. We appreciated the ocean and 18th hole views from our room, liked the decent glass of local zinfandel we were offered at check-in, and found the room and property met the decor and standards you would expect at a Ritz. All in all, the price costs you dear for everything, but if the weather cooperates as it did this time the indulgence is worth it for a few days.

Stayed October 2013, traveled on business

Been to The Ritz-Carlton, Half Moon Bay? Share your experiences!