“Avoid the spa” 3 of 5 stars

Ranked #2 of 8 Hotels in Half Moon Bay
San Francisco, CA
“Avoid the spa”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 16, 2008

Caught a serious fungal infection in the spa, wife had "worst massage ever" there for $198 including tip and the spa staff didn't even know the details on their own facility. They need new management down there. The windows in our room were so dirty we could hardly see though them. All in all a memorable Mother's Day w/end.

Stayed May 2008

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (250)
San Francisco
2 of 5 stars Reviewed May 15, 2008

Not my favorite Ritz. A key problem that travelers should be aware of is that the nicest rooms - the ones with the firepits (some are suites) - are right next to a golf course and paths. So people walk by your room all the time and can see you! It is not at all private. You do get a view of the ocean - but in-between is the golf course. It's a poorly designed hotel. There are also other problems, e.g., the health club (including indoor spa) closes early in the evening, etc. A very expensive hotel that is not worth the price.

• Liked — on ocean
  • Disliked — on golf course
  • Stayed May 2008, traveled on business
    • 2 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 3 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Plant City, Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 2, 2008

This was the 3rd time at this property, my first two were golf excursions.

Stayed with my wife for our 10th Anniversary, while I've stayed in several Ritz Carltons across the US, it is usually out of my budget. The greatest part of this Ritz is the lack of pretentiousness among the staff. I found the hotel to be more realxed and comfortable. While the staff is the outstanding Ritz Carlton service you can expect, the location is truly amazing. Situated on a bluff several stories above the Pacific, the views are amazing, the property immaculate and the rooms outstanding.

As I mentioned it was our 10th Anniversary, the desk staff upgraded us to Concierge Level and on our Anniversary night we returned from dinner to find our room covered in rose petals. Truly the romantic touch only a Ritz Carlton can provide.

While I did not play golf on this trip, I have played both golf course twice and find them to be very typical resort course in toughness. They have been in better than terrific condition and offer two vastly different experiences. One parkland in style and the other a linkscourse. Both offer great views and remind me of the Pebble Beach Area

• Liked — Ritz Carlton Attention to Detail and Views
  • Disliked — Weather can be suspect
  • Stayed May 2003, traveled as a couple
guerneville, ca
2 of 5 stars Reviewed May 1, 2008

This hotel is beautiful, our cottage suite was beautiful, the Housekeeping Manager, Albert, has wonderful hospitality skills, integrity, ethics, and personality.-and took care to make sure our stay was good even with such horrible service. The concierge, Cassandra-above and beyond-these two people were stars in an otherwise horrible service oriented hotel. Starting with Maurice at the front desk-we checked in at 3ish. We found out although we booked at club level-the club was not open this time of year. THis was very upsetting. We then asked to have drinks sent to our room, which Maurice said he would take care of 1x, 2x, 3x, 4x PHONED HIM DIRECT EACH TIME-we got them at 8:30 (ordered at 3:15pm), WITH OUR MEAL-SUPPOSED TO BE AT 3:30pm!!! The next day we ordered in room dining-after 20 minutes they called us and told us they did not have our smoothies, although they were on the menu. Then they brought breakfast with the wrong food. We gave up at that point. Then although we had a handicapped car-we were told we were not able to park in the handicapped place near our cottage (for club only). Food, when correct-was great. Pool -great. Grounds beautiful. Cottage beautiful. Seems like staff are not a team. One hand does not speak to the other. I will go back because of the few good staff, food, and grounds. From, Marcy Orosco and Marsha Cohen

• Liked — Albert, the houskeeing manager-the grounds and cottage suite
  • Disliked — staff dishonesty at front desk, ie, when promised things did not get-like took 3 days for Smores kit
  • Stayed April 2008, traveled with friends
    • 1 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 5 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Sacramento, ca
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 1, 2008

We have stayed at this property twice and been blown away both times. Don't get me wrong it is expense, but if you have the money you will not be disappointed. Both times we have at a club level ocean view king bed room. Room is normal size but has seating right at the window so you can look at the ocean which is lit at night and the view of the 18th hole of the golf course. Amazing views and you hear the ocean waves crashing all night its awesome. Club level is a must, it gives you 5 food and beverage presentations. You don't really have to buy any food, except maybe dinner. It also gives you wine and hard liquor which its a big plus. The staff is very friendly and it doesn't seem too stuffy for the price. Service is A plus, they came and got my luggage, put it in the car and had the car waiting for us after we got back from a ocean walk. I wil put pictues on here that do this all justice. Be aware of the resort fee which is think is a 45 a day or something a bit high and valet parking.

• Liked — The view
  • Disliked — the empty pocketbook
  • Stayed August 2007, traveled as a couple
Rock Hill, SC
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 24, 2008

My husband and I just returned from a 5 day stay at the Ritz Carlton in Half Moon Bay. I have to say it is one of the best trips we have ever taken. We arrived at 11:00 at night after a long drive (5 hours) from Bakersfield. I had a hip replacement in Dec. and was extremely tired. We were met immediately by Lee who took over everything from car to bags. We went right in and were met by Bambi at the check-in desk. Lee came in and suggested we have a glass of wine while he took our luggage up. The bar was lovely and we were given a glass of wine. I had mentioned to Bambi that the hotel smelled wonderful from all the gorgeous lilies. We hadn't been in our room 10 minutes when Lee knocked on the door with a vase of the lilies. How incredibly nice. The next morning Bambi left me a card stating that she had another "flower surprise" for me on Saturday which was our last night. Our room was spacious and beautiful, the bathroom was huge with a separate shower. On Saturday night we came back from a day in San Francisco to discover that Bambi had covered our bed in rose petals from a wedding they had that day. I could not believe how special these people made us feel. I also went to the spa and had a wonderful facial (the best I've had), a pedicure and a shampoo and blow dry. All were excellent.
I would return to this hotel over and over and I will certainly recommend to everyone I know.

• Liked — The courtesy of the staff, the fantastic room and the spa
  • Disliked — Nothing!
  • Stayed April 2008, traveled on business
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 5 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Lake Forest, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 21, 2008

After dealing with a very stressful family emergency on my birthday, our sons and their families surprised my husband and I with a night at the RItz Carlton, Half Moon Bay. From the moment we pulled up to the guard shack, I can only describe our visit as incredible. Every staff member went out of their way to be kind and friendly and we never felt they were waiting for a tip. We were upgraded to a suite, surprised with a birthday cake and balloons, and made to feel special whereever we went. The room was spotless and beautifully decorated. The tub was the most perfect I've enjoyed - very deep and it had a hand sprayer to rinse off at the end. We enjoyed lunch and breakfast at the hotel, but since Pasta Moon is one of my favorite restaurants on the coast, we went there for dinner. The only negative of the whole visit was the strong, freezing wind that prevented the staff from lighting the firepits on the beautiful ocean-side patio.

• Liked — Service
  • Disliked — wind
  • Stayed April 2008, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk

Been to The Ritz-Carlton, Half Moon Bay? Share your experiences!