“Beautiful Location and Hotel” 5 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Fire and Wine Package
Ranked #2 of 8 Hotels in Half Moon Bay
Hillsborough, California
“Beautiful Location and Hotel”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 21, 2012

Booked a one-night stay through Amex Plat FHR program. Hotel upgraded us to a huge corner suite on the ground floor overlooking the gazebo and fire pit. Suite had two-large flat screen tvs and a gas fireplace plus plenty of room for the four of us. We got great weather and were able to enjoy some beach time and an amazing sunset.

First class service - the hotel mailed us a pair of jeans that we accidently left behind.

Can't wait to return.

• Stayed January 2012, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (284)
San Francisco, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 16, 2012

We stayed at the RCHMB the week before Thanksgiving. It was a wonderful trip. Though, being our one year wedding anniversary - anywhere would have been perfect.

Why 4 and not 5 stars? I must admit, I travel quite a bit for work & I can't help but compare hotels across the US and details are important to me.

We both loved the hotel, overall. I'll start with the good:
- highly recommend, upgrading to the lounge level. It's absolutely worth the extra $ if you are able to splurge. the views are some of the best around the resort - perfectly straight over the rear of the property with a clear line of the coast and surrounding bay. also, the lounge area (great views) is open only to those on the concierge level - bites/libations all day - breakfast/brunch to lunch/snacks to hors d'oeuvres to desserts - all top quality. I've stayed on "lounge" levels before and they do not compare to what we were served. Top shelf liquor - sparkling wine, patron, gray goose, tanqueray, etc. Rotating food options - you did not get bored. Coffee/tea all day. And the option of bringing back to the room, easily. With a sick husband, this was incredibly helpful. Also the personal concierge service was exceptional.
- the room itself was nice, expect typical Ritz Carlton (that's a good thing). It was my husband's first time at a RC; he was quite impressed with the decor. we were lucky to have a balcony which was a nice addition.
- property. exquisite. you are right on the coast, I cannot stress that more. so beautiful. walk around! there's a spot to reach the beach as well. again, a must.
- the restaurants we tried were delicious, great service. we had a terrible anniversary dinner at a local restaurant and the concierge insisted we try Navio to forget that experience. they took care of all the details, even noting it was our anniversary (without us mentioning it); we felt like royalty when we arrived. the food, outstanding. the lighthouse was also special for a late dinner the following evening. being the last patrons, they made every effort to not rush us and ensure our dining experience was exactly like their first patrons on the night. classy.
- the spa was lovely, especially my facial

The "OK" - all minor, but still, this is a Ritz Carlton and we are paying for top-notch.
- back to the rooms, disappointed by small things - the robes and towels were rough as can be (weeks later, we stayed at a Standard in NYC for 1/2 what we paid at RCHMB. the robes were like clouds on our skin). just not the pleasant feeling when you are warming up from your shower in a scratchy robe. and it did not help that when we arrived one of the robes had a big pile of dark dust on it's white sleeve. housekeeping did not come when we specifically requested and instead skipped us the first night for turn-down (they why ask us for our time preference?).
- you'll notice in areas, time has taken a bit of a toll on the establishment. walking down the halls, the sconces were quite old and tattered. the furniture in the lighthouse was also showing lots of wear - holes and rips.

The not-so-great:
- the spa pedicure. i cannot recommend enough - SKIP. it was terrible. you are escorted away from the soothing spa main area across the way to the hair shop. ok, at first, fine... but the whole setting was cold and loud and the opposite of mellow. my pedicurist was clearly just doing her job and nothing more. she would leave after every step and at one point this was a major problem. my legs were burning. I had to yell (simply asking for her by name in a loud voice was getting me nowhere) for her to return and after about 5-6 minutes, finally she arrived. she apparently, wasn't in the area. great service?! turns out, whatever application was used did not fare well with my sensitive skin. again, fine - but she kept blaming me (over and over) for shaving that morning. really? aren't I the customer... and last I checked, i don't shave my feet and from toe to knee it was painful. and truth be told, i shave ahead of every pedicure and this was a first for me to be in such agony. for the price $100 -I should have added a message. be warned.

One final note. There was a golf tournament occurring while we were there over the weekend. Didn't effect us either way. But if you are into this, definitely research ahead of time as you would not have been able to use the course.

Hopefully, this was helpful. In all, I would return to the RCHMB at a moment's notice.

PS - all photos shot via iphone

Room Tip: concierge level, facing the bay
  • Stayed November 2011, traveled as a couple
Tulsa, Oklahoma
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 15, 2012 via mobile

Our stay was perfect! The service was excellent. The rooms were large (we had a corner room #676- with the best view on the property!)

Sitting by the outdoor fire pits, sipping hot chocolate, watching and listening to the waves crash along the shore without a care in the world-what more could you ask for?

This was a great place for an adult get-a-way. While there is easy access to the beach and an indoor pool just north of the main property, I think my kids would have been looking for more to do...

Food in Navio was just ok- but the view of the ocean while you dine is breathtaking!

Room service was delivered in the time we were promised, food was served hot, and tasty!

Regarding the s'mores at the firepit- during our stay this weekend the s'more kit was $45. You will be better off stopping before you arrive and purchasing the items for s'more making at the grocery store! Of course, it was a gourmet kit and all...but if you are doing it for the kids, they won't know the difference. The hot chocolate bar was cute: $8 for hot chocolate with all the toppings you would like.

The views alone make the Ritz-Carlton Half Moon Bay worth the price you pay, but you will also receive the first class service Ritz-Carlton is known for. Overall, we had a great stay without one complaint-which for me is rare!

• Stayed January 2012
San Francisco, CA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 14, 2012 via mobile

We booked one night in a club-level ocean view room, and ended up loving it so much we added an extra night on the fly.

We moved to a terrace fire pit room the 2nd night. I believe that the fire pit and ocean view rooms were the same price, and I would personally recommend the fire pit, even though the ocean view isn't as high or uninstructed. It's still just stunning. Sitting in adirondack chairs by our own fire pit in our robes, roasting s'mores is our happy place (similar to the private plunge pools at Capella Ixtapa - check it out!)

The staff is amazing, and I have to share a story that will knock your socks off. My husband and I golfed both courses while we were there, and at the end of our last round, the caddy told us he'd put our clubs in our car (they also retrieved them From our car for us before our rounds!) When we got home to SF, it turned out our clubs hadn't made it into our trunk. We called the Ritz, explaining what happened, expecting to have to drive back down to get our clubs. Instead, the bellman we spoke to personally *drove our clubs back into SF that night*!!! I mean...service doesn't get better than that. That truly defines luxury.

It's funny to me that some people here say that the Ritz SF is a better experience. I've stayed at both - club level in HMB and SF, and non-club in SF - and while I admit that the food in the SF club is more impressive (think crab claws and tuna tartare), the overall experience at HMB is way more extraordinary. It is so relaxing and beautiful, and the staff is so calming, that you lose all track of time and place. On our drive home to SF, I felt like we'd been gone for a month, not 2 nights! Love love love.

• Stayed February 2011
sonoma, ca
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 12, 2012

I live close to this property but like it so much that I have stayed several times. I love their marshmellow roast overlooking the Pacific Ocean. And even if you don't roast, the outdoor fire place and "blanket butler" makes you feel very pampered. Spa is great, customer service outstanding and food, of course , first rate. They are very child friendly and my grandchildren love to go for Easter weekend.

Room Tip: same side as lobby registration as they have strange elevator locations.
  • Stayed April 2011, traveled with family
1 of 5 stars Reviewed January 8, 2012 via mobile

I have stayed at this property 3 times in the same room each time for the last three years. I love the view and the sunsets and the fire with my "roasting of s'mores." I even asked my wife to remarry me at the beach front here...
So why a low review? It is the fact that the same water damaged walls and ceiling have never been fixed as I have kindly mentioned every year since 2009. Frustrated & baffled after the third year of coming here with every issue being unfixed still...I decided to call down to the front desk and ask if they would move us rooms (because of these unchanged issues) in which they did. They said the room would be taken out of service and fixed. The very next night someone was occupying that very same room. As my wife & I were astonished by this, we decided to ask the manager why...and she said they had "requested" the room. I went next door and talked with the people in the room, and they said they did not "request" the room and did not even like the room. Disgusted with these actions & the way this hotel was running business, I again confronted the manger about the lie of renting out the room until the damage was fixed...and she was very very very rude & handled things very unprofessional.
I checked out and went to a real ritz in San Fran.
I have been to plenty of 5 star hotels & resorts. For $995 a night at this outdated & corner cutting hotel I will not be back again

• Stayed January 2012
Washington D.C.
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 5, 2012

My husband took me here for our Anniversary trip. Needless to say it is everything you would expect from The Ritz Carlton! Fabulous service, Amazing vistas overlooking the Pacific. When you walk into your room you feel as though you are staying in a beautiful chateau. The rooms are beautifully decorated, comfy bed, great bathroom -with separate shower and huge tub. AWESOME bath products/lotion/shampoo..

Looked forward to sunset around the firepit - overlooking golf course and ocean. Look out for the staff riding around - they have wine for purchase, S'mores kits and blankets.

Hope to return!

• Stayed July 2011, traveled as a couple

Been to The Ritz-Carlton, Half Moon Bay? Share your experiences!