“Quiet area - beautifully set overlooking Half Moon Bay” 4 of 5 stars
Review of The Inn at Mavericks

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Half Moon Bay
The Inn at Mavericks
You added The Inn at Mavericks to your Saves list
346 Princeton Ave., Half Moon Bay, CA 94019   |
Hotel virtual tour
Ranked #2 of 11 Half Moon Bay B&B and Inns
Certificate of Excellence 2014
Stewart Island, New Zealand
“Quiet area - beautifully set overlooking Half Moon Bay”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 30, 2013

We come from Halfmoon Bay in New Zealand so we were quite intrigued to see the Californian "HMB"! The area itself was quiet and the inn beautifully set overlooking Half Moon Bay / Pillar Point with the pelicans and seals. We found the fog horn soothing and not an issue at all. Room size was adequate and bathroom was fabulous. Good quality towels and linens and the bed was super comfy.

It was easy walking to bars / restaurants around Pillar Point and the free wi-fi was great. A nice touch was the amenity basket of fruit and snacks that was replenished daily. The manager was helpful when I had an issue about the card that was charged a couple of days before we arrived.

We stayed in “The Jetty” which is a downstairs room (I forgot that “first floor” in the US is “ground floor” to us!) which meant you could hear the upstairs guests thundering about. In general this is not the fault of the inn, nobody can control other people’s footfalls or conversation volume, however when upstairs guests turned on the shower or bath it sounded like it was coming from our bathroom. Each of the downstairs rooms had a “private” yard/garden area but the fence/hedge that separates them was not quite enough to make The Jetty feel private from the public firepit area. It was a popular gathering spot so maybe a slightly taller hedge could help here.

It would have been nice to have a toaster in the room so that we could have made breakfast but the coffee machine was excellent and easy to use.

Room Tip: I'd try an upstairs room next time!
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (33)
San Luis Obispo, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 26, 2013

This is a place that from the moment you walk in until you shut the door and leave, that your entire stay exceeds your expectations. The rooms are gorgeous and the view is spectacular! I was overwhelmed when I walked through the door and thought "my goodness - this type of place usually costs twice as much". The rooms are tastefully decorated and large with a comfortable bed and plenty of seating with a sofa, chair and two dining chairs at a bistro table. There is a wonderful fire pit outside when the outside temperatures are a little chilly, for sitting and enjoying the view, a glass of wine, and conversation with the other guests. The bathrooms are large with spa quality amenities, granite surfaces and modern decor. We thoroughly enjoyed our stay and would highly recommend it to anyone planning a trip to Half Moon Bay.

California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 25, 2013

This is our first time at the inn, but certainly not the last. We make many day trips from East Bay, but have never stayed over. This time we decided to stay for a couple of days...much more relaxing and oh, so wonderful!
The inn is perfect....3 rooms down and 3 rooms up. We brought our 8 month old puppy, and she loved just being able to walk out the door to HER private patio right on the water. Her treat basket was wonderfully supplied with water, treats, poop bags, a towel, and bowls.
The room is large, the bathroom HUGE! I like the tile floors with an area rug when an inn allows pets. It just seems cleaner to me.
The foghorn didn't bother me at all...my husband used the inn supplied ear plugs.
Yes, it is tucked back into some industrial and some restaurants and some shops...but it is funky Half Moon Bay. It just seems perfect.
5 stars everywhere...I think this will be an annual get away from the rat race of the Bay Area. You would have to look long and hard to do better than this.

Sacramento, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 5, 2013 via mobile

This is my second stay here at Inn at the Mavericks. This time I brought my 9 month old and my mom. We have had a great time visiting the town, playing on the beach, and relaxing in our room! The bottom 3 rooms are pet friendly; the top 3 are not. I have stayed in both, and did not notice a difference. Rooms are adorable :)

• Stayed September 2013
St. Helena, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 22, 2013 via mobile

Let me say the Inn at Maverick's is a 5 star experience. The only reason I gave it a 4 for the overall experience is due to the foghorn.

We found the Inn through our friends who had been there two weeks prior with a new baby. We were celebrating our anniversary and we needed a pet friendly location and wanted to be on the water. What a fabulous inn! I almost don't want to write a review because I want to keep this jewel to myself.

The first thing I always do is check the bathroom and the bed for cleanliness. Our room passed with flying colors. The bed was very comfortable with extra blankets and 4 pillows. The white towels were high quality. There were special touches everywhere - complimentary bottled water, cookies, crackers, chips, fruit, dog bowls, dog treats, dog towel, a guest journal to write in, binoculars, chocolates and ear plugs. We've never stayed anywhere where they're so generous and thoughtful.

The bathroom is large and modern with good water pressure and a great shower head. It also has a deep 2 person soaking tub and full length mirror.

The outside area was spotless (no prior pet evidence) with a manicured strip of lawn and patio chairs to watch the boats coming in and out and even people doing yoga on surfboards! So relaxing.

As others have mentioned, the fog horn can be distracting. I used the complimentary earplugs and slept pretty well. My husband didn't use them and had a harder time sleeping. (Next time he'll use them-lol.)

We only wish we could have stayed longer. We will definitely be going back. Love this place.

PS-My husband left his glasses in the room and Allen, the Inn Manager, called and texted him before we even made it home to let him know. He immediately mailed them to us. That's service!

• Stayed August 2013
Mountain View, CA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 15, 2013

I live in the Bay Area tho' not on the water. And sometimes the Bay, the Pacific Ocean calls for a bit of a inn break near the water. Seeing my dog running on the nearby beach in full-on runs, I had to smile. I was 16 miles away from home and a world away. Cue the feeling of vacation without the airport slog or long-distance drive.
The Inn's sleeping room was sweet, comfy and relaxing. I walked to close by restaurants and even closer beaches. It is low key, homey and I loved it. The private fenced yards on the first floor are perfect for the pooch and it's nice for humans too.
Special thanks to Allen for accommodating a date change due to a work demand. I do hope to go back soon.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled solo
Bay Area, California
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 12, 2013

We received a $350 gift certificate to stay here. Looked online, checked out the rooms, called the reservation number listed on the gift certificate. "Oh, I am sorry, you have to speak to the Innkeeper yourself to book a room with a gift certificate". Okay, so I dial another number to reach the innkeeper, Allen. He answers and does help me book a room, but his tone and affect are so inhospitable that I already have a bad feeling about this. The feeling that I got from Allen was not that of a host. I felt like I was bothering him.

Later, he emailed us to tell us that he couldn't find the gift certificate. So, we mail it to him. Does he ever apologize for this?

Allen is marketing the Inn at The Mavericks as a luxury venue ($265 per night!). At those prices, I want my luxury to begin the moment I call in for a reservation. That's the way it works at other venues.

The Inn at the Mavericks is basically a 2-story box right on the coast of Half Moon Bay. Once you are in your room, your view is fantastic. But it is in a semi-industrial area and the approach is a bit funky.

Our room was tastefully decorated and set up. King size bed with (new) Temperpedic mattress, nice linens, and a nice bathroom with wonderful bathrobes and towels. There is a coffeemaker, real cream, blankets to use when you are on the patio looking out at the water, ear plugs if the fog horn gets to you (it didn't bother me, but it did bother my husband....it honks once every 8 or 9 seconds, 24/7), and even a nice pair of binocs to use to check out seabirds, boats, scenery. We brought our small dog, and for an extra charge of $25, there was a nice dog packet of treats, etc.

However, for $265 a night, I expect a clean area rug in the room. This one was faded and had several doggie pee spots on it. REALLY?!?!? Take some of that money you are making, Allen, and go to TJ Maxx and buy some clean, cheap area rugs. Throw the old ones away!

Also, I did not appreciate having to get up 4 times in the night to fit the sheets back on the bed. The sheets do not fit hte new mattresses, and my sheet corner kept coming off. Ugh.

Wouldn't go back, the beautiful view notwithstanding.....there are plenty of other nice spots in that area.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple

Been to The Inn at Mavericks? Share your experiences!