“Friendly, helpful staff” 3 of 5 stars
Review of San Benito House

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Half Moon Bay
San Benito House
Save Saved
You added San Benito House to your Saves list
356 Main St., Half Moon Bay, CA 94019   |
Ranked #10 of 11 Half Moon Bay B&B and Inns
East Anglia
“Friendly, helpful staff”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 27, 2013

No doubt you'll read other accounts of this hotel, not all favourable. However, although rooms are basic, their clean. We arrived 4.30pm on a early October Friday, were offered a double without shower or a double with private bathroom, a difference in price of $30. Opted for room without shower, but when checking in manageress came past and offered us the better room for same price as inferior room. Luckily our room was over the sandwich bar downstairs so we didn't suffer too much from noise in bar. Now I don't know what your all looking for on your holidays, but I enjoyed this hotel, I've stayed in a lot worse. They also let me use their computer to print off my boarding tickets for our flight home. The bar is noisy but we had a good time in the bar, locals were friendly and fun.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple

Solo
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (11)
1 of 5 stars Reviewed November 14, 2012 via mobile

Too bad that I didn't read reviews before my stay. I can't understand how anyone could expect to pull off running a hotel over a loud and annoying bar? I don't think that the owners/operators of this establishment are doing a service to the public. It's actually embarrassing to see that this operation is being attempted. I can't see this lasting very long.

• Stayed November 2012
Stockton, CA
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 1, 2012

The room we were assigned was small and not well appointed. There was approximately 2 feet from the bed to the wall. No place to sit down in the room and no shower. Shower option was down the hall.

Was charged $50 per night for my dog to join us. Typically a pet fee is for the stay, not per night. When I have paid per night in other hotels the pet was provided with their own ammenities: dog bed, dog bowls, some treats or a toy. For my $100 we got nothing. There wouldnt have been enough room on the floor for a small dog bed anyway, but I couldnt help feeling they were using the $50 fee per night as a revenue generator without providing any benefits.

The bed was super comfy. The linens quite nice.

The breakfast wasnt open until 8am and when I arose early there was no common space available in the early morning. The staff are there and it would be very simple to have the space open and coffee/tea available.

We will not return.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
Nashua, New Hampshire
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 28, 2012

I stayed here about 10 days ago with several friends who reserved rooms on Groupon. I missed that offer and paid full price for a room with a shared bath. Was given a street-side room that must have been 85-90 degrees when I checked in at 3:30 pm. No A/C, so opened up the only window (no screens), turned on the ceiling fan and went to dinner. Later that night when I came back the room was still too warm, so I slept with it open with the fan on. The fan caused my back to cramp up and the street noise (as noted previously) kept me up half the night. Commercial delivery and garbage trucks showed up around 6 am and banged about for the better part of an hour. I got up at 7 and went to take a shower in the shared bath but there was no hot water at all even after running it for 10-15 minutes. Even the hot water tap on the sink ran nothing when I turned it on. When I mentioned this to the front desk after breakfast the answer I got was "When did you try to use it? If you try to use it later in the morning there is no hot water". (Really???) When I told her I had tried at 7 am she said she would mention it to the owner and that was the last I heard of it. (The second morning there was warm water after running it for 5-10 minutes, but it never got "hot".) At 9 am a worker patrolled the sidewalk under my window with a noisy leaf blower and at 10 am they started major construction on the ceiling of the first floor - banging and hammering away for an hour.

The decor is somewhat charming in a worn Victorian way, but I would never recommend this place for peace and quiet. The courtyard is nice, as are the gardens, and my friends in the courtyard side rooms with private baths said they did have hot water although it took awhile. I suppose if you can get a room away from the street with your own bath this place would be acceptable, but frankly I won't stay here again despite the convenient location.

Also of note, when I checked in and they ran my card at the desk they charged me $12 more than my reservation confirmation stated. No idea what the extra $12 was for - especially since I couldn't use the shower for one night!

Room Tip: Stay on the courtyard side and don't reserve a room with a shared bath.
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends
Denver, Colorado
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 12, 2012

Everything was really awesome!! The owners son Maurice was really nice down to earth listened to our approving ideas. The room was beautiful!! location in the middle of town with-in walking distance to anything that was needed. Best bloody mary I have ever had!! Good end to our honeymoon.
We will def be back!!

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
Chicago, Illinois
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 21, 2012

It should be noted that the hotel is a historic hotel that the current owner acquired 4 years ago and is updating as they go. His daughter is the manager. Bartenders serve as receptionists: this causes some confusion on the part of new arrivals. The hotel is situated on a busy city corner with large gorgeous garden and sculpture area, used by the sandwich shop diners and passerby's. The restaurant/dining provided a minimal continental breakfast with cold hardboiled eggs, muffins and no toast. Apparently we could have stopped one of the kitchen staff and asked for toast.

Our room was large, single pane, double hung, rope with counterweight windows: historically authentic but did nothing to stop the leaf blower noise at 8 am in the morning. Bar noise is real because the rooms are above the bar, and dining area.They provide earplugs - use them. They work.There are no TVs in the room so we had to watch the Olympics at the bar with moderate success. Our Groupon deal did include a bar voucher good for 2 glasses of wine. Wine selection sub par but plenty of fruit flies.

There is no elevator so be prepared. The tub is about 2 ft high on claw legs with no rubber mat. A real pain to shower up. There is a modern shower down the hall for use by clients with no tub/shower.

Summary: the property is cute and centrally located. Despite the owner's protestations, as a client, I felt that the hotel side is secondary to their other business operation. They need to improve shelving in the bathrooms and address potential slip and fall issues. I stayed in chain hotels on this trip that were cheaper, provided better rooms and breakfasts. There are surrounding hotels and B&Bs that appear to offer better accommodations in Half Moon Bay at this time. I would visit in the near future but not stay.

Room Tip: If you want an indoor bath, specify at the tine of reservation. Ours was huge with Victorian tub and...
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
Pine Grove, California, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 10, 2012 via mobile

Everything other people have written about the noise is correct, so if you have prior knowledge of this, don't stay here then complain about it! We had a WONDERFUL experience, stayed here because of a Groupon deal and after purchasing them read all the reviews and was a little nervous...but it wasn't that bad, and part of the basket in the room comes with ear plugs! Great idea! We only needed them Wednesday night and were up late anyway. Our bartender, Max was a great host! We met a few local drunks and had a BLAST with them! All in all it was a great experience, not sure if we would pay full price to stay here though...$75 a $80 is about all I would pay again.

Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple

Been to San Benito House? Share your experiences!