“Future Potential” 3 of 5 stars
Review of San Benito House

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Half Moon Bay
San Benito House
You added San Benito House to your Saves list
356 Main St., Half Moon Bay, CA 94019   |
Ranked #10 of 11 Half Moon Bay B&B and Inns
Chicago, Illinois
“Future Potential”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 21, 2012

It should be noted that the hotel is a historic hotel that the current owner acquired 4 years ago and is updating as they go. His daughter is the manager. Bartenders serve as receptionists: this causes some confusion on the part of new arrivals. The hotel is situated on a busy city corner with large gorgeous garden and sculpture area, used by the sandwich shop diners and passerby's. The restaurant/dining provided a minimal continental breakfast with cold hardboiled eggs, muffins and no toast. Apparently we could have stopped one of the kitchen staff and asked for toast.

Our room was large, single pane, double hung, rope with counterweight windows: historically authentic but did nothing to stop the leaf blower noise at 8 am in the morning. Bar noise is real because the rooms are above the bar, and dining area.They provide earplugs - use them. They work.There are no TVs in the room so we had to watch the Olympics at the bar with moderate success. Our Groupon deal did include a bar voucher good for 2 glasses of wine. Wine selection sub par but plenty of fruit flies.

There is no elevator so be prepared. The tub is about 2 ft high on claw legs with no rubber mat. A real pain to shower up. There is a modern shower down the hall for use by clients with no tub/shower.

Summary: the property is cute and centrally located. Despite the owner's protestations, as a client, I felt that the hotel side is secondary to their other business operation. They need to improve shelving in the bathrooms and address potential slip and fall issues. I stayed in chain hotels on this trip that were cheaper, provided better rooms and breakfasts. There are surrounding hotels and B&Bs that appear to offer better accommodations in Half Moon Bay at this time. I would visit in the near future but not stay.

Room Tip: If you want an indoor bath, specify at the tine of reservation. Ours was huge with Victorian tub and...
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (14)
Pine Grove, California, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 10, 2012 via mobile

Everything other people have written about the noise is correct, so if you have prior knowledge of this, don't stay here then complain about it! We had a WONDERFUL experience, stayed here because of a Groupon deal and after purchasing them read all the reviews and was a little nervous...but it wasn't that bad, and part of the basket in the room comes with ear plugs! Great idea! We only needed them Wednesday night and were up late anyway. Our bartender, Max was a great host! We met a few local drunks and had a BLAST with them! All in all it was a great experience, not sure if we would pay full price to stay here though...$75 a $80 is about all I would pay again.

Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
Seaside, Oregon
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 27, 2012

Yelp should offer "no-stars" rating option... Unfortunately, my stay at the San Benito House in Half moon Bay, CA had more than I had bargained for - - BEDBUGS! I awoke after the first night of a pre-paid two-night reservation to see one crawling across my daughter's top-sheet - - I quickly removed the sheet and took it into the bathroom where I smashed the bug - it was full of blood, and hurriedly packed and checked out (thus I did not use the second night). My daughter also had a large welt on the back of her neck from the bite. I reported the issue to the desk clerk, including the dead bug&blood I left on the floor as evidence to the hotel (embarrasingly while relating the issue, I felt something on my back and also completely panicked/lost my composure). The clerk phoned the manager in my presence, but the manager refused to speak with me. I contacted the hotel three times since, requesting to speak to the manager Christine, but she has not returned my calls. One hotel staff told me she knew of the issue, but that the most she could do to rectify the situation was to offer me a couple of coupons to be used in the hotel's deli since they "could find no evidence of bedbugs" . Seriously! I reminded them of the blood on the floor and the bug, but they continued to deny a problem. I found myself homeless for the scheduled second night and had to book another hotel room at additional cost. I've also had to take superhuman effort to prevent potentially exposing other hotels (this was part of a 5 day returning-home road trip) and now my own home to bedbugs that might have hitched a ride in our belongings. Not only is this hotel unclean, but apparently the management lacks even a modicum of integrity.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
Berkeley
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 28, 2012

Groupon had a coupon so we bought it.
We read the reviews and asked for a quiet room away from the bar. Ok so the kitchen exhaust fan was directly overhead. The bar noise was no problem but the bar flies pounding up and down the stairs and call out to each other through the paper thin walls was not a magic experience. At one point I actually thought someone was in our room
The room was a bed, 2 feet to the walls, yes I measured it. One not so cute little sink with separate hot and cold taps,with the cold broken so you had to turn it on from under the sink (sorry the handy man is off for the weekend) ONE! hook behind the door and last but not least the bathroom, surprise, down the hall. We did get a discount (?) because no one told us beforehand.
Last but not least the included breakfast was a disaster! Go up to the three-zero cafe at the airport.
Do not, repeat, do not waste your vacation time here. It is not cute, quaint or cozy. It is a run down hole.

Room Tip: Tip for good room, stay somewhere else
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple
Los Angeles area
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 23, 2012

I should have read the reviews that recommended rooms 4, 5, and 6. Maybe then the noise level would have allowed us to sleep. Our group instead had rooms 1 and 12, which were definitely much too noisy. We used our excellent-quality earplugs and also a white noise machine, but still couldn't sleep on a Monday or Tuesday night, except between 2 and 5, when we didn't have bar or street noise. Also, one of our two couples arrived late, were given Room 8, only to find it occupied. It scared the people in room 8 out of their wits. Not cool.

Room Tip: Room 1 and 12 are definitely not quiet enough.
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled with friends
Folsom, CA
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 23, 2012

We stayed at the San Benito House for two nights, Fri & Sat. It is a really quaint establishment-built over a huge bar. There are only a few rooms that have bathrooms actually in the rooms--so be sure to request one, otherwise you will be sharing a bathroom in the hall. There is a great deli attached to the hotel that bakes up some sweet smelling bread in the morning. The line for a sandwich wrapped around the street during lunch. The downside to the hotel is that is sits on top of one of the only "nightclubs" in town. The music blared from 10pm until exactly 2am. We could hear every single word of every song. Luckily, we liked the music, but if you are looking for somewhere nice and quiet--this isn't it. Overall, we had a nice time. The people were friendly, the contenintal breakfast was good, and we enjoyed being right in the middle of town.

Room Tip: Parking can be very difficult on a Saturday. No reserverd parking for hotel guests.
  • Stayed February 2012, traveled as a couple
san francisco
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 21, 2012

I read all the reviews before going there and I don't know what people are complaining about! Certainly it's noisy as an old hotel who has music can be but the music dies down at 11-12pm so not a problem. We really enjoyed the stay and the personnel are friendly and helpful but do not suffer fools kindly! The bed was old but very comfortable and clean. Also very good price to spend the night. Would come here again!

Room Tip: Don't stay above the bar or dining room. I believe room 4,5,or 6 is good as they are far from t...
  • Stayed April 2012, traveled as a couple

Been to San Benito House? Share your experiences!