“Second time just as great as the first!” 5 of 5 stars

Oceano Hotel & Spa Half Moon Bay
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   280 Capistrano Road, Half Moon Bay, CA 94019   |
Hotel deals
Ranked #4 of 8 Hotels in Half Moon Bay
“Second time just as great as the first!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 7, 2013 via mobile

This was our second time staying at Oceano, the first being about a year and a half ago. Since it was our second time, we requested that we stay in the same room we had the first time. The staff were able to accommodate us and we LOVE LOVE LOVE this room! I believe this is the best room in the place. It overlooks the harbor, is super quiet, and very spacious. The room has a king bed in it (with a television in an armoire at the foot of the bed) and a half wall separates this area from the living room area. The living room area has a couch, fireplace, television, refrigerator and microwave in it. The bathroom is quite large and it has a big shower with a separate soaking tub.
The hotel is centrally located with shops and restaurants nearby. Although why would you want to leave this room? The room and the hotel was exceptionally clean and well decorated. Whenever we are in Half Moon Bay, Oceano is going to be where we stay!

• Stayed July 2013

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (88)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Montreal, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 3, 2013

Class! Yes, this is a very classy place to stay near the ocean. I think that having class is a second nature of the staff. Warm and friendly are the first nature of them. Not much of restaurants and shops, but you can find good local restaurants. Great place for reconnecting with your people. Fun.

Room Tip: With a room on the marina you will hear the horn of the ships all night long.
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
California
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 30, 2013

Stayed here one night on the second floor (room 214) with a great view of the marina and ocean from the balcony. The room is very nice, bedding is clean and comfortable, 2 flat screen TVs, fireplace, large bathroom with separate bath and shower. Shutters between the bathroom and bedroom is a little weird and was a feature that my wife did not like.

We booked this place because we wanted to relax on the balcony most of the time and enjoy the cool air and view.

I removed one star for traffic noise because there is a road between the hotel and the marina that seems to have a lot of traffic between 6:30am and 11pm. I knew this going in but I don't think a 5 star hotel should have this problem.

Another star removed because cigarette smoke from adjacent balconies would enter our balcony and our room. This made the balcony unusable for us nor could we leave the door to the balcony open to enjoy the ocean air. Not what I expect for a $250/night room (midweek rate). I went to the front desk and asked if it was their policy to allow smoking on the balconies and their response was yes. I explained the problem and their solution was essentially for us to close the door to our room to keep the smoke out. Well that just killed our reason for even being here. Why you would allow smoking at a property billed as a "hotel & spa" is beyond me, not to mention most of the population doesn't smoke.

Upon checkout I told the front desk that I would not return because of the smoking issue and they initially seemed shocked that it occurred at all. I explained that the staff at the desk the day before told me that it was hotel policy to allow it. Their initial reaction I felt was that they were surprised by that but they only said sorry for the inconvenience. Third star off for stupid policy and insufficient solution.

Be sure to read other reviews about noise from the lobby from wedding receptions. We did not have this problem but it is something you also need to check before booking a room.

I would return to this hotel but only after their smoking policy changes. I can't recommend this hotel at this time.

Pasadena, CA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 28, 2013

We happened to be going through Half Moon Bay during the time the hotel was offering a special rate. We heard about it from an email. Our second time there was no disappointment. Everyone is very helpful and eager to make your stay comfortable. Also, it is so easy to walk to restaurants and the next door shopping area. The rooms are large and clean with a great view of the marina. Still highly recommend the Oceano Hotel if you are staying in Half Moon Bay.

Room Tip: First floor rooms have a little patio with chairs to enjoy the view. Second floor rooms have a small...
Auburn, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 25, 2013

Wonderful place to spend some time in a vibrant area next to the marina. Good restaurants nearby. Hotel is boutique type, attached to a small shopping center. People are service oriented. All rooms have a view of the marina. Decor is updated, beds extremely comfortable.
The fog horn others mention is hardly audible...About 4 miles from the downtown area. On the first floor at night noise is noticeable from the bar area and the rooms nearby.

Room Tip: Recommend 3rd floor, Princeton Suites with King bed...these are actually 2 rooms joined together.
Folsom, California
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 25, 2013

This review will be paradoxical. I have nothing bad to say about the room we stayed in. It was very nicely appointed and very clean. the hotel is easy to get to in Half Moon Bay and not far from the town center. The problem is the location of the room. This hotel caters to weddings and wedding receptions. I stayed there Friday - Sunday and saw 3 weddings or receptions during that time. since I had the room booked for 3 months, I thought I'd get a nice location with a good view. In reality, I got a room that should have been reserved for the wedding party since it was directly across from the ballroom that hosts all the receptions. I got no sleep because the band or DJ played music until 11:00 or 11:30 every night. I called the front desk to ask for a different room but was told that the hotel was sold out. I received no compensation for not getting any sleep during my stay. ONLY stay at this hotel if you are in the wedding party during June.

Room Tip: Make sure to ask for a room that is nowhere near the ballroom-either across from it (rooms 101 - 110...
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled with friends
Scarsdale, New York
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 4, 2013

I stayed here because I needed a place at the last minute for one night only during Memorial Day weekend, and every other hotel had two night minimums or was fully booked. They even graciously gave me the AAA discount when I called. I did not have high expectations, so was quite pleasantly surprised. The lobby area is beautiful, and the rooms are very spacious. I don't know how old the hotel is, but it looks new or recently renovated. The bathroom was very large, and everything was clean clean clean! The decor is a bit French country, so not modern, but it is pretty and comfortable. The desk clerks were friendly upon check-in and check-out. My only complaints would be the painfully slow internet and the fog horn, which is like a constant irritation. The fog horn isn't the hotels fault, but maybe they could have had better insulation and/or double pane sliders to the balcony.

Room Tip: It's worth the extra money to get a higher floor, as lower floors don't have a view.
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled with friends

Been to Oceano Hotel & Spa Half Moon Bay? Share your experiences!