“Always a pleasant dining experience” 5 of 5 stars

4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   280 Capistrano Road, Half Moon Bay, CA 94019   |
Hotel deals
Ranked #4 of 8 Hotels in Half Moon Bay
Half Moon Bay, CA
“Always a pleasant dining experience”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 24, 2012

This review is in regards to the bar/dining experience only

My family and I have been enjoying the dining experience at Oceana since the hotel first opened. Last night was no exception, our dinners were fabulous – the crab cakes with mashed potatoes and asparagus and the fish taco dinner were both superb. The ingredients were fresh, the portions plentiful and the prices reasonable! The atmosphere is pleasant, cozy, and relaxing and the service is exceptional. There is an excellent selection of menu items to choose from, an overall outstanding experience!

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (88)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Livermore,California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 22, 2012

We just recently stayed at the Oceano and all we can say was it was fabulous! The staff at the front desk (Jen, David, and Dillon) were very friendly and also very professional. We had reserved a Deluxe King suite and it was very clean and the view of the harbor was fantastic.We also has massage treatments at the Oceano Spa that were very good. Eleana was very helpful with getting us the times we requested. All in all, our weekend at the Oceano was fantastic. We will definitely be coming back.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 14, 2012 via mobile

I researched and researched hotels in Half Moon Bay. I wanted something special for my husbands birthday. I was somewhat concerned about the other reviews of fog horn noise but decided to chance it. I am so glad I did. We were in a delux king suite (rm 301). The horn noise was barely audible.
We enjoyed many features of the room, including relaxing in front of the fireplace as well as on the patio watching the sunset. We also enjoyed room service dinner on our own dining table. Food was above average and service was excellent and prompt.

The suite (and entire resort) was impeccably clean. Linens were of very high quality and the bed was comfortable.

This resort should be on everyone's list of places to stay. It is really a special place, meticulously designed, well kept and with world class service. There is nothing about my stay that could have been improved upon.

• Stayed October 2012
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 8, 2012

Stayed for a conference/NET class. I liked the room. Seperate shower and short but deep. Bathtub. Seperate "kitchenette and dining/living area. Only one chair at dining table, which was weird and unpractical. Fireplace rocks! Fog horn 24/7 ! I liked it, others found it annoying. No spa services at all! Others called and left messages, and noone ever called back. So don'tuse. This if you are looking for a Spa vacation!!!
A lot of restaurants nearby. Rock Cod. Delicious.

Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 7, 2012

I attended my best friend's wedding and stayed one night at this hotel and it was pricey given their "discount" for the wedding party. But if you don't mind paying a little extra for the great location, views, and very clean, luxurious room then this would be a great place to stay for a weekend getaway. I would definitely return again.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with friends
Victoria, Canada
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 24, 2012

Let's start with the positives: the hotel staff provided us very good service; our room was *terrific* - a very large, well-appointed suite with a lovely view of the ocean and an enormous bathroom; the bed was very comfortable; room service was timely and the food was quite good; and finally, there are a couple of very good restaurants in the area - in particular, 'Sam's Chowder House' about a 1/2-mile south was great and definitely worth a visit!.

There were a couple of disappointments, however, including the remoteness of the location. I can imagine that for some couples/families, just having quiet time would be a great vacation and if this is your goal, then this hotel is a good choice. But for us (travelling with a toddler), there wasn't very much to do. When we tried to watch television with our little girl prior to putting her to bed, the reception on the flat-screen TV was dreadful. Despite these relatively minor points, the one thing that stops me from giving the hotel a higher rating was that every 8 seconds (and yes, I'm not dramatizing this...every EIGHT seconds) the town's location beacon went off!! I'm guessing that, being a coastal town, having this beacon allows those sailing on the coast to know that they're coming near to land. If you're a deep sleeper, then this will not be an issue. But for me, personally, it got to be very annoying and the only reason I was able to sleep at all was that I had earplugs that (luckily for me) muffled most of the sound.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
Southern, CA.
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 17, 2012

My husband and I just stayed at this hotel on a travelzoo deal. For the price it was a good deal and the hotel beds, furniture, bathroom were very well decorated and upscale. I am not sure the hotel had a beach essence more of a New Orleans feel with a few sea shells thrown in to give the ocean appeal. We had a balcony and could sit and watch the boats in the bay.

I felt the only downside was no nice place to eat in the hotel we had a credit for dinner and thought we would have a nice dinner in a classy place, instead we got a bar with a very nice but tattooed bartender serving us with little to no enthusiasm. It took away from the experience. The food was bar food, hamburgers and such. We had a lovely time but I think it could have been better with just a few improvements from the hotel.

Room Tip: We were in room 220 and it had a perfect view of the bay and ships.