“Exactly what we needed.” 5 of 5 stars

Oceano Hotel & Spa Half Moon Bay
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   280 Capistrano Road, Half Moon Bay, CA 94019   |
Hotel deals
Ranked #4 of 8 Hotels in Half Moon Bay
“Exactly what we needed.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 14, 2012 via mobile

I researched and researched hotels in Half Moon Bay. I wanted something special for my husbands birthday. I was somewhat concerned about the other reviews of fog horn noise but decided to chance it. I am so glad I did. We were in a delux king suite (rm 301). The horn noise was barely audible.
We enjoyed many features of the room, including relaxing in front of the fireplace as well as on the patio watching the sunset. We also enjoyed room service dinner on our own dining table. Food was above average and service was excellent and prompt.

The suite (and entire resort) was impeccably clean. Linens were of very high quality and the bed was comfortable.

This resort should be on everyone's list of places to stay. It is really a special place, meticulously designed, well kept and with world class service. There is nothing about my stay that could have been improved upon.

• Stayed October 2012

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (88)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 8, 2012

Stayed for a conference/NET class. I liked the room. Seperate shower and short but deep. Bathtub. Seperate "kitchenette and dining/living area. Only one chair at dining table, which was weird and unpractical. Fireplace rocks! Fog horn 24/7 ! I liked it, others found it annoying. No spa services at all! Others called and left messages, and noone ever called back. So don'tuse. This if you are looking for a Spa vacation!!!
A lot of restaurants nearby. Rock Cod. Delicious.

Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 7, 2012

I attended my best friend's wedding and stayed one night at this hotel and it was pricey given their "discount" for the wedding party. But if you don't mind paying a little extra for the great location, views, and very clean, luxurious room then this would be a great place to stay for a weekend getaway. I would definitely return again.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with friends
Victoria, Canada
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 24, 2012

Let's start with the positives: the hotel staff provided us very good service; our room was *terrific* - a very large, well-appointed suite with a lovely view of the ocean and an enormous bathroom; the bed was very comfortable; room service was timely and the food was quite good; and finally, there are a couple of very good restaurants in the area - in particular, 'Sam's Chowder House' about a 1/2-mile south was great and definitely worth a visit!.

There were a couple of disappointments, however, including the remoteness of the location. I can imagine that for some couples/families, just having quiet time would be a great vacation and if this is your goal, then this hotel is a good choice. But for us (travelling with a toddler), there wasn't very much to do. When we tried to watch television with our little girl prior to putting her to bed, the reception on the flat-screen TV was dreadful. Despite these relatively minor points, the one thing that stops me from giving the hotel a higher rating was that every 8 seconds (and yes, I'm not dramatizing this...every EIGHT seconds) the town's location beacon went off!! I'm guessing that, being a coastal town, having this beacon allows those sailing on the coast to know that they're coming near to land. If you're a deep sleeper, then this will not be an issue. But for me, personally, it got to be very annoying and the only reason I was able to sleep at all was that I had earplugs that (luckily for me) muffled most of the sound.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
Southern, CA.
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 17, 2012

My husband and I just stayed at this hotel on a travelzoo deal. For the price it was a good deal and the hotel beds, furniture, bathroom were very well decorated and upscale. I am not sure the hotel had a beach essence more of a New Orleans feel with a few sea shells thrown in to give the ocean appeal. We had a balcony and could sit and watch the boats in the bay.

I felt the only downside was no nice place to eat in the hotel we had a credit for dinner and thought we would have a nice dinner in a classy place, instead we got a bar with a very nice but tattooed bartender serving us with little to no enthusiasm. It took away from the experience. The food was bar food, hamburgers and such. We had a lovely time but I think it could have been better with just a few improvements from the hotel.

Room Tip: We were in room 220 and it had a perfect view of the bay and ships.
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
Martinez, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 9, 2012

My husband had a very busy week and just needed to getaway for a break. We packed a bag for overnight, just in caes, and took off for the ocean after flipping a coin whether we go north or south. South won. We had no reservations and called while on the road. The Oceano is located right on Half Moon Bay harbor. Very, very nice room (Room 309) on the third floor with excellent view of the harbor and ocean HOWEVER it is located above the bar and grill patio and was very noisy. Granted the weather was such that we had the balcony door opened but the noise from the bar and from people in the hallways roused us several times from our slumber. It did quiet down around midnight. The morning was great having coffee in front of the fireplace for it was a bit chilly. The Oceano is located within walking distance to the harbor, restaurants and their shopping mall. Right outside the mall door is the Mezza Luna Caffe where you can get some great gelato. The trip like I said was very last minute and I forgot to pack our toothpaste and my makeup. The Oceano provided the toothpaste but the makeup well I had to go a day without which was OK.

Room Tip: We had room 309 and it is located above the bar and grill patio and noise carried up to our room. I...
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
Lake Tahoe/Truckee
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 8, 2012

I loved this location! We could walk to a number of fantastic seafood restaurants, a bike path to town was right there, we rented kayaks just outside our door and kayaked through the harbor! The room had a fireplace which was great as the mornings were chilly...there was a refrigerator which was helpful but it was missing a microwave which would have been nice. The bathroom was huge and had a nice deep tub for soaking. Our bed was great. Cute furnishings definitely a Coastal Living feel. The underground parking was wonderful so we didn't get wet and I could store my kayak. I have to agree with Kim N though...there were two weddings the weekend we were there and one was so loud we actually became wedding crashers just to see what all the ruckus was about! Since we were out late dining ourselves it wasn't a big deal but if we were interested in sleep earlier than 11 pm it would have been impossible as the music was extremely loud in our room on the 2nd floor! There was not a pool or hot tub on the property even though it is called a spa and the spa is a day spa in a strip style mall just outside the hotel, good thing I wasn't planning on a spa weekend. Anyway, we'll stay there again for sure but we'll just ask about parties in advance.

Room Tip: Ask if any special events are being held in the meeting rooms such as wedding during your stay. Room...
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled with family

Been to Oceano Hotel & Spa Half Moon Bay? Share your experiences!