“wonderful family vacation!” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Cottages on River Road

Save Saved
You added Cottages on River Road to your Saves list
Cottages on River Road
2.5 of 5 Inn   |   14880 River Road, Guerneville, CA 95446 (Formerly River Village Resort & Spa)   |
Ranked #3 of 13 Guerneville B&B and Inns
GreenLeadersBronze level
San Francisco, CA
“wonderful family vacation!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 21, 2014

we stayed here for six nights in three cabins as a family group with four young children. couldn't have had a nicer trip - the booking and check-in were easy and the rooms lovely. the two-bedroom and kitchen rooms were nice and big. honestly, with one child wanting to sleep with mom and another in a pack and play, i could have just taken a one-bedroom.
there are k-cup coffee makers and a small fridge in the rooms, along with wine glasses, cork screw, etc.. outside there is a lovely grassy area and patio for playing, as well as a fenced-in pool. each night there was a fire with s'mores and the chance to meet lovely "neighbors." frank the cat is patient with curious kids, too. great breakfast 8-10am and coffee available all day in the lobby.
the only downside in being so close to the busy road the road-side cabins do rock a bit when a semi goes by, but didn't bother us much. town is a drive, not a walk, from the site, as are the beaches.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (63)
Littleton, Colorado
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 18, 2014

Having visited Guerneville many times from Colorado, I have never stayed outside of main business area. I decided to try someplace new and was pleasantly surpised how welcomed I felt as soon as I walked in the front door. All the staff were wonderful and very accomodating. There was a nice mix of couples, families and pets. I had a two bedroom cabin that embodied the Zen atmosphere of the gardens and common areas. The continental breakfast was delicious and filling and the nightime S'mores campfire was a real treat. It gave folks an opportunity to get to know each other a little better in a relaxed environment. I can't wait to visit again next summer!

• Stayed June 2014, traveled solo
Danville, CA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 18, 2014

We stayed here this past weekend for one night with our children ages 9 and 12. It's not the usual type place we stay at, which are mostly bigger hotels. We enjoyed the quaintness and how welcome we felt. It's the type of atmosphere you would just never get at any type of larger hotel (which there are none in Guerneville anyway).

There was freshly made cantaloupe juice upon our arrival. We were a little early for check-in, but they suggested that we could either go into downtown Guerneville and/or Armstrong Redwood Park. We did both. We were there to just explore, and we happened across Johnson's Beach while strolling downtown. Being our first time to the Russian River, we didn't know what to expect. What a great place to just hang out for an afternoon.

When we got back to the Cottages and checked-in, we were taken to our cute one bedroom room at the top by the pool (it was the only one left when I booked just three days prior). It was very clean and updated, and the walls are a cheery yellow color. The kitchen is large with a full sized refrigerator. We were only there one night so we didn't use it. The one negative thing I'd say was that there was kind of an anti-septic cleaner type of smell in the room when we entered, and not necessarily a pleasant one. We opened the windows that we could and it was no issue. That was the other thing, only two of the windows had screens, so we couldn't open the other ones. The room also had two pull-out couches -- one full size, one twin size.

What made our stay really special here is the place is small and the way it's set-up it just seems to encourage socializing with other guests. My son immediately made friends with another 9 year old boy, my daughter ended up being a "helper" to another family who was there with their 15 month old. We sat by the campfire on Saturday night doing s'mores and just talking with other guests for over two hours. By breakfast the next morning, it was as if everyone were old friends. To me, that's the best part of the vacation.

The one thing we missed doing, that I really wanted to, was going to the brewery across the street that I had read about in so many reviews. My husband didn't care for the looks of it outside, so we ended up going downtown to a place that was very mediocre. We later heard good things about it from one of the other guests.

There is definitely noise from the road, and there was a barking dog somewhere off property that kept us up. Certainly not anything they can control, but it might be a good idea to bring earplugs if you're a light sleeper.

Overall, a great stay and I'd recommend it and hope to come again!

• Stayed June 2014, traveled with family
nashville, tn
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 1, 2014

What a fabulous little oasis tucked away in Guerneville, Ca. We stayed 2 nights in a one bedroom cottage and it delivered exactly what was promised. The garden setting in the middle of the cottages is lovely, and the continental breakfast every morning was a welcome treat. Evenings by the fire with S'mores was big fun and the adult company had a blast enjoying the treats. Staff was very nice, and the grounds are immaculate. Would definitely stay again. Did not get a chance to swim.

• Stayed May 2014, traveled as a couple
shingle springs, ca
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 23, 2014

Terrific place to stay in the area. We were two women and were very comfortable in our very cute cottage with each of us having our own bedroom. It was decorated as we would have decorated it. Very comfortable sitting room with sofa, coffee table and tv. Really good coffee in the reception area in the morning with items like bagels, fruit, hard boiled eggs and yogurt for breakfast, which we took back to our room on a tray and was all we really needed. The day manager was very polite and helpful. We enjoyed visiting wineries and walking through Armstrong woods Before heading to Bodega Bay the next day. Be sure to visit the wine tasting room at Korbel, a really good value and free tastings.

Room Tip: Don't be surprised by the road noise
Stayed May 2014, traveled with friends
Santa Barbara
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 13, 2014

We have stayed at the Cottages sister property in Napa where we had 2 wonderful experiences. This time we decided to give Guerneville and the cottages a try. We had so much fun at this hotel. My wife and I enjoyed massages which were out of this world good, followed by some pool time and capped our evenings off with S'mores at the beautiful firepit located in the middle of the property. The evening campfire is such a nice way to unwind and meet people from all over the world. In the mornings we enjoyed a nice breakfast which we ate on our balcony. This place is filled with thoughtful touches and the staff is extremely welcoming and friendly. We will be back many more times in the future and you should too.

Green Features: The pool is salt water and solar heated and the showers have soap, shampoo and conditioner dispensers.
  • Stayed May 2014, traveled as a couple
Sacramento, California
2 of 5 stars Reviewed May 8, 2014

On Wednesday May 7th we checked into this motel for our 4th wedding anniversary. We were only in the room for about 25 minutes. With most of the time bringing in our luggage. I was on my way to the lobby to get the WiFi code when I stepped down the steps of our room and turned a corner. I didn't notice a big large decorator rock and I think my shoe got caught underneath the rock and I went flying and landed on my head and knee. I had hit the bone on my eyebrow. Needless to say I was very shakened up and decided to drive home 2 hours away. I was in too much pain to enjoy myself and felt better being home and calling my doctor.

When my husband told the owner of our decision to leave he said he would only charge for a room cleaning and the tax. This morning I checked my credit card and the full bill of $168 had been charged to my card. I called the owner and asked why and he said I would get a refund and only charged $49 plus tax.. I think he should have just told us to go home and relax and we wouldn't be charged for anything. We were only in the room for about 25 minutes. Not very good will being that I was so hurt.

Room Tip: Wasn't there long enough to find out
  • Stayed April 2014, traveled as a couple
rrcottages, Owner at Cottages on River Road, responded to this review, May 23, 2014
The goal at our hotel is that every guest who walks out our door does so feeling completely satisfied with their experience. Toward that goal, we work extremely hard each and every day. The best part is, we enjoy our work and we enjoy our guests.

This review is very distressful to our staff. It came as a complete shock to us. It is true the guest fell. As we were helping her up, she blamed her fall on the new sandals she was wearing and commented on how they were “hard to walk in”. Beyond a few minor scrapes, she said she was fine. She seemed fine to us as well. The guests may have been in their room for only 25 minutes but they came to the hotel early in the afternoon and immediately left and spent the remainder of the day at the brewery across the street. After the guest fell she decided to leave the hotel because her husband told us she needed some medication they had left at home that would help calm her down after her slip/fall. I was happy to give them a partial refund due to the circumstances even though the room could not be rented to another guest without a thorough cleaning and the housekeeping staff had already left for the day.

The issue that I have with this review is that these guests left completely satisfied with the amount of the refund that was discussed and agreed upon by both parties. They even mentioned how much they loved the hotel and were looking forward to returning someday. In no way at all did they express any displeasure with the way we handled the situation. Not until we read this review were we aware of our "very bad good will". We are fair people and were never given the opportunity to at least try and come to an agreement that pleased everyone involved. Trip Advisor is a wonderful tool that gives accurate descriptions of hotels, unfortunately in this instance, it allowed someone to take a very unfair route to handling a situation.

Been to Cottages on River Road? Share your experiences!