“Very Bad Good Will” 2 of 5 stars
Review of Cottages on River Road

You added Cottages on River Road to your Saves list
Cottages on River Road
2.5 of 5 Inn   |   14880 River Road, Guerneville, CA 95446 (Formerly River Village Resort & Spa)   |
Offers & Announcements
Free room upgrade
Ranked #4 of 13 Guerneville B&B and Inns
GreenLeadersBronze level
Sacramento, California
“Very Bad Good Will”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed May 8, 2014

On Wednesday May 7th we checked into this motel for our 4th wedding anniversary. We were only in the room for about 25 minutes. With most of the time bringing in our luggage. I was on my way to the lobby to get the WiFi code when I stepped down the steps of our room and turned a corner. I didn't notice a big large decorator rock and I think my shoe got caught underneath the rock and I went flying and landed on my head and knee. I had hit the bone on my eyebrow. Needless to say I was very shakened up and decided to drive home 2 hours away. I was in too much pain to enjoy myself and felt better being home and calling my doctor.

When my husband told the owner of our decision to leave he said he would only charge for a room cleaning and the tax. This morning I checked my credit card and the full bill of $168 had been charged to my card. I called the owner and asked why and he said I would get a refund and only charged $49 plus tax.. I think he should have just told us to go home and relax and we wouldn't be charged for anything. We were only in the room for about 25 minutes. Not very good will being that I was so hurt.

Room Tip: Wasn't there long enough to find out
  • Stayed April 2014, traveled as a couple
rrcottages, Owner at Cottages on River Road, responded to this review, May 23, 2014
The goal at our hotel is that every guest who walks out our door does so feeling completely satisfied with their experience. Toward that goal, we work extremely hard each and every day. The best part is, we enjoy our work and we enjoy our guests.

This review is very distressful to our staff. It came as a complete shock to us. It is true the guest fell. As we were helping her up, she blamed her fall on the new sandals she was wearing and commented on how they were “hard to walk in”. Beyond a few minor scrapes, she said she was fine. She seemed fine to us as well. The guests may have been in their room for only 25 minutes but they came to the hotel early in the afternoon and immediately left and spent the remainder of the day at the brewery across the street. After the guest fell she decided to leave the hotel because her husband told us she needed some medication they had left at home that would help calm her down after her slip/fall. I was happy to give them a partial refund due to the circumstances even though the room could not be rented to another guest without a thorough cleaning and the housekeeping staff had already left for the day.

The issue that I have with this review is that these guests left completely satisfied with the amount of the refund that was discussed and agreed upon by both parties. They even mentioned how much they loved the hotel and were looking forward to returning someday. In no way at all did they express any displeasure with the way we handled the situation. Not until we read this review were we aware of our "very bad good will". We are fair people and were never given the opportunity to at least try and come to an agreement that pleased everyone involved. Trip Advisor is a wonderful tool that gives accurate descriptions of hotels, unfortunately in this instance, it allowed someone to take a very unfair route to handling a situation.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (70)
Munfordville, Kentucky
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 7, 2014

From the road the cottages appeared ordinary. The minute you enter the lobby you know you have made an excellent choice. Our cottage was a two bedroom garden cottage with lovely grounds in front and redwoods in the rear. The interior was tastefully decorated and extremely clean. The beds and bath were comfortable.
The breakfast was fine, fruit, pastry, juice,delicious coffee.
The location is excellent.
There is some traffic noise.

Room Tip: Ask for a room away from the road.
  • Stayed May 2014, traveled with family
North, South Carolina
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 27, 2014

Our first trip to the Russian River valley and we found this ideal spot. Since this was just a "scoping" trip, we stayed only one night but wish it had been much longer. The cabins are very nice and homey. Our only suggestion, invest in some curtains - they get very bright inside in the AM. The helpful staff will give plenty of guidance re the area, including the many wineries.
Road noise isn't that bad - we always travel with earplugs just in case.
The breakfast is amazing - great fresh baked pastries, juice, etc. The nighttime fire pit with s'mores was fun and relaxing. This is a family spot, at least at this time during school vacation week, and this is good or bad depending on your perspective. We, traveling without children, feel that those who do should exercise some control and judgment. The grounds are lovely and garden-like, conducive to quiet relaxing or running around screaming, again depending on your needs. There are quieter times of the year here and if that's your need, ask the staff when they are (and come without the kids). All-in-all a great visit and we'll be back for a longer stay.
Frank, the resident cat holds court whenever and wherever he likes, and is a nice addition to the staff.

Room Tip: Rooms away from the road are quitter, also those at the ends of the property will have less foot tra...
Green Features: Like staying in your own lovely garden. Standard practices like conserving linens etc apply.
San Jose, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 21, 2014

I am hesitant to wr ite a review of this place only because I'd love to keep this gem to myself. But in the end, that would not be fair to the owner or staff at this lovely property. Just a fantastic experience at this place. The hotel is tucked just enough into the woods off the highway that you feel like you have escaped from it all . The units are great - clean and nice..and updated. Best feature of all though has to do with the staff. All are very friendly and go out of their way to help you -- whether it is to make sure you are comfortable and have everything you need or to help plan your day of touring. Highly recommend this place.

Room Tip: If you have a family. go with the two bedroom. Worth the extra space.
  • Stayed April 2014, traveled with family
Atlanta, GA
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 16, 2014

We stayed here on a recent California trip. The hostess was very pleasant and friendly. She gave great advice about the town (not a lot to the town). Parking is on the main road, except for a few spots behind the cottages. The breakfast is fantastic. They also have a campfire at night where the guests eat smores, drink their own wine, etc. The grounds are like a garden - very nice. The cottage we stayed in was nice on the inside but small - no closet or area to hang clothes. There was no air conditioner but there was a ceiling fan and a heater. The bathroom was nice with nice shampoos, soaps, etc. My major complaint is that our cottage was right beside River Road and the noise from the traffic was pretty bad and interrupted my sleep several times. The bed wasn't very comfortable either. Other than those two issues - nice place. See my other review for Chef Patrick's restaurant in Guerneville. That place was out of sight fantastic.

Honolulu, Hawaii
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 13, 2014

We loved Cottages on River Road. The cottage we had was very large, the bathroom was enormous and everything was very clean. The grounds were very cute and we really enjoyed the bon fire with s'mores each evening. The staff was very nice in recommending things to do. The breakfast was great and had something for everyone. We loved the cat "Frank" who roamed the grounds. The place is also pet friendly which is great. We will be back and recommend it to all.

Room Tip: They all seemed really great! The studio was perfect for just the 2 of us.
  • Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple
Alberta, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 1, 2014

I stayed 3 nights here and I was very happy to have found it. The cottage I had was a two bedroom with separate living area/kitchen. Very clean and modern, bed and linens were top notch, bath was great as was the nice hot shower. Wifi and TV were also good.
The setting is on a "busy only at peak hours" road, so was quiet at night and sleep quality was good. The staff were very pleasant and helpful, and they did an evening fire circle which guests seemed to enjoy. It is a short drive to get to town or the coast but I felt the value was excellent regardless. I didn't try the breakfast since I had a kitchen so can't comment on it.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled solo

Been to Cottages on River Road? Share your experiences!