“peace & quiet” 4 of 5 stars

GreenLeadersSilver level
Bainbridge Island, Washington
“peace & quiet”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 10, 2014

Beautiful property in a beautiful area.
The pluses:
super private and quiet (one exception - see below) with a relaxed atmosphere
good wi-fi at no charge
fireplace in the room
magnifying mirror for putting on contacts and makeup
nice amenities including conditioner & bathrobes
lots of plug-ins for charging devices
outstanding breakfast
good restaurant
Bonus points for the organic garden, chickens and field of solar panels.
Needs improvement:
During the week, there's an early delivery truck (like before 7am) that has a loud backing-up beep. The jacuzzi in our room never did work although we reported it. There was a leaky shower valve which was fixed but unfortunately we were homeless while it was being repaired. They did send a bottle of wine for our trouble, though.
Guerneville is a good location for going to the coast (Goat Rock Beach), the Armstrong Redwoods and Korbel winery, which has a fantastic tour.

Room Tip: If the jacuzzi tub is important to you, make sure it works when you check in.
Green Features: Solar panels! Yay! There were no separate bins in the room for recyclables.
  • Stayed May 2014, traveled on business

Review collected in partnership with this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (84)
Clarksburg, Maryland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 9, 2014

Wife and I traveled to Sonoma for a few nights because we found great Groupon deals for this place. It was an excellent decision. Applewood Inn is located slightly away from it all in the little town of Guerneville but it really is beautiful as the entire town is basically surrounded by a redwood forest, completely different then the rolling hills and valleys of wine country. The room was nice, comfortable bed, and all the basics. Nothing spectacular but that's ok with us. We were greeted with a glass of champagne or wine and a Wine Pass for complimentary tastings at over 100 wineries!! This was perfect considering we paid $20 a pop in Napa Valley (days after Sonoma) and did not find anything like that there. We enjoyed the hot tub outside and lounged by the pool after some nice days of tastings. The front desk was amazing, as they helped us plan a beautiful trip out to the Pacific Coast (amazing!!) and then back stopping at some wineries all the way, ending at the Korbel cellars which is just down the road. While its very close to downtown Guerneville, I personally don't think its close to walk, as the road doesn't really have any sidewalks and there is a blind curve. The Inn is also very close to Armstrong Redwood National Park, which was absolutely amazing, a must see! Also have to mention that breakfast was very good. While we only stayed 2 nights, our breakfast was excellent, and there was a lot of alternatives to whatever the chef was making that day. Only gripe would be that the breakfasts were very similar (an egg dish with asparagus), but I know they use their own garden so they probably didn't want to waste leftovers.

I definitely recommend Applewood Inn.

Room Tip: We stayed in room 9- Pronto which was attached to the main building but the entrance is outside so y...
Green Features: This was awesome. They have their own gardens and you can tell they were very environmentally friendly!
Hermosa Beach, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 6, 2014

The Applewood Inn is the redwoods of Guerneville which is part of wine country North of San Francisco. It's a lovely 19 unit B&B just five minutes for Korbel winery. You can bike, river raft, canoe or go wine tasting all within minutes. Yet you are lost amongst the trees and only 12 miles for the California coast.

Enjoy the beautiful setting and all of the near by adventures.

Room Tip: Some of the rooms have a private patio or balcony. All of the rooms are clustered around the origin...
Green Features: The hotel has it's own garden and some 60 chickens, all which contribute to the meals at breakfast and dinner. The chickens contribute only eggs.
  • Stayed May 2014, traveled as a couple
Scotch Plains, NJ
2 of 5 stars Reviewed May 3, 2014

I booked 2 rooms at the Applewood Inn 39 days in advance through Hotels.com. I received a confirmatory email from Hotels.com with confirmation numbers. I chose the inn because I had been there before and felt it was the perfect setting for a surprise birthday trip for my husband and relatives. The week before our visit, we called the concierge at the inn to arrange a wine tasting. That is when we first learned that the inn reportedly had no record of our reservation and would not honor our reservation as they were booked for the second night of our stay. The person I spoke to assured me that the owner/manager would call me to discuss. I also called Hotels.com who assured me that their records confirmed that the inn had, indeed, received and confirmed the original reservation the previous month. They also spoke to the inn and told me the owner/manager would call the next day. He did not call. I emailed and left messages and finally received a call back from him 2 days after my original calls. He stated that he had been unable to determine the glitch but all he could do was offer the honeymoon suite for the second night if we could not change the days of our visit. As there were 4 people in my party, a room with only one bed obviously could not work and as we were flying in from the east coast with plane reservations and work schedule arranged, we could not change our days. He then offered to make reservations elsewhere, at the Vintner's Inn, approximately 25 minutes away in the large city of Santa Rosa. As I had little choice since we were arriving the following week, I agreed for him to make that reservation.
The issue I have with the Applewood Inn is that I was the victim in this situation and would not have known there was a glitch until I arrived from the east coast with nowhere to stay. While glitches happen, the smart customer service action would have been to provide something: a bottle of wine to be delivered to our rooms at the Vintner's Inn, a gift certificate to the Applewood Inn restaurant...anything? I was a return customer to the Applewood Inn and I think that something should have been offered to me besides a phone call that I could have made myself to book new rooms at the Vintner's (which was not filled).
So, in the future, I will stay at the Vintner's which is lovely with much nicer rooms than the Applewood and would advise others to consider my experience with the Applewood where this returning customer was treated poorly.

Carlos P, Owner at Applewood Inn, responded to this review, May 8, 2014
As the owner of Applewood I sincerely apologize for the inconveniences you went through when the reservation you had made using Hotels.com. was not registered in our system.
You as well as Applewood were victims of a technical glitch. Applewood never received any news of your reservation until you called a few days before your arrival.
I should have call you sooner but I was trying to find out what had happened. Eventually is was determined that GDS (global distribution services) failed to be updated not because of any fault of ours but due to a failure of a server at Booking Center.
When I called to make your reservation at the Vintners Inn I personally negotiated the best possible rates for you and used my corporate credit card to hold the reservation.
The bottom line is that we failed to satisfy you and for that I'm sorry.
Carlos F. Pippa
Santa Cruz, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 15, 2014

My partner and I loved this place! We would highly recommend it to anyone going to Sonoma County. The location is excellent and the space was enchanting. Felt like we were walking around in Italy. The food is excellent! We only got to try the breakfast which is complimentary because we went on a monday night and the restaurant is closed Mondays and Tuesdays. But, we will be back! This place was excellent!!

Green Features: Organic and solar powered garden! Lovely grounds. Farm to table food. Hot tub and pool. You are able to help yourself to tea & coffee all night long.
Carlos P, Owner at Applewood Inn, responded to this review, April 23, 2014
We are thrilled to hear that you had a wonderful time here at Applewood Inn. We look forward to your next visit!
2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 12, 2014

The place is nice, but the rooms aren't very clean & need renovation. We were very disappointed that the rooms didn't have a small refrigerator. We like cold bottled water & the only ice maker is all the way out by the pool! Also the restaurant is very inflexible.

Stayed April 2014, traveled as a couple
Carlos P, Owner at Applewood Inn, responded to this review, April 14, 2014
Dear Lesle,
I am disappointed that we were not able to please you during your stay at Applewood. It is very unusual for us to hear any complains about cleanliness in the rooms. I would have preferred to hear about this problem while your were with us so that we could taken immediate action to remedy whatever you found wrong.
There are three buildings and the restaurant. The original building was built in 1922 and is a historical land mark. All the rooms have been redone within the last two years including the hardwood floors, wall paint, carpets, mattresses (memory foam) and bedding (Frette, the finest linens found anywhere. ) The other two buildings were build about 15 years ago and the rooms also have been redone since I bought the property at the end of 2009. It would have been very useful for us to know which room you stayed at.
It would also have helped us if you described the nature of the inflexibility of our restaurant. Your comment does not give us any clue to consider for improvement.
My apologies for not measuring up to your standards.
I wish you happy traveling.

Carlos F. Pippa
San Rafael, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 25, 2014

It was a springlike day...the air was clear and crisp...and we arrived at the Applewood Inn. Valerie was warm. chatty and sat with us while we had our welcoming champagne. We learned that she was an author...the owner came by to welcome us...and we were off to explore the gardens...enjoy the hot tub and prepare for dinner.

While in the garden, we met the Chef who was collecting veggies for dinner...which was to die for! With the flowering shrubs and the traditional setting we chatted about The Alhambra in Spain...which shares so many characteristics. If you like traditional, warm, wooded rooms...this is the spot.

Room Tip: Ask for the rooms just off the lobby...one of them is Masa.
  • Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple
Carlos P, Marketing Manager at Applewood Inn, responded to this review, April 23, 2014
Thank you for your wonderful review! We are so happy to hear that you met Chef Tyja, and even happier to hear that you saw him harvesting vegetables in our beautiful garden. We look forward to seeing you again soon.

Been to Applewood Inn? Share your experiences!