“Needs some tweeking!” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Windermere House Resort & Hotel

You added Windermere House Resort & Hotel to your Saves list
Windermere House Resort & Hotel
3.5 of 5 Hotel   |   2508 Windermere Road, Windermere, Ontario P0B 1P0, Canada   |
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Windermere
Uxbridge,ON
“Needs some tweeking!”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 21, 2012

Judging by reading other travellers reviews, this resort seems to have mixed ratings. My husband and myself stayed for one night on a dealfind coupon, paying less than half the regular rate. I am glad that we did not pay full price. Our room #323, was next to the spa, within a dormer. The day we arrived was definitely not the hottest day yet, Sept 13th, about 26 degrees at the hottest part of the day. However, the A/C was not turned on when we checked into our room, and the room was very,very warm. We turned the air onto high, toured the property etc. and returned several hours later. The room had barely cooled off at all. A call down to the desk promptly brought the maintenance man to our room. He checked the unit and said what my hubby had already determined. The unit being in a alcove of the room was unable to circulate properly to cool the room. He suggested that we could be moved, but at the same time stated that the other rooms ha older, noiser units. We figured we should just stay where we were, as it may be the lesser of two evils! I am not sure if we were placed in this room because we had a Dealfind coupon and they are aware of the issues in this room. Makes you wonder....

Nobody called us back to ask if we wanted to switch rooms or if we were comfortable. On a positive note, the room was very clean, the bathroom being the cleanest and best appointed that I have ever seen in any quality of hotel! There was however, visible chips and wear on the bedpost of the massive King bed, that needs to be touched up. When we informed the desk of the very warm room the next morning upon checkout they said we would have been entitled to a full refund if we had booked through the hotel
and not Dealfind. They did however remove the 7% hotel tax.

Lastly, the food in the Oliver and Bonnacini restaurant is only average. Our first meal was lunch which we ate on the front porch. My husband ordered a burger and fries, and the waitress had to "search" for the ketchup, while he waited and waited, his burger growing cold. They had to also "search" for a bud light lime! And wait for salt and pepper to be brought to the table. Just little things, but in the long run important. Also,the table right next to us ( with couches and coffee table) was littered with 3 plates of uneaten food. This mess was not cleared the whole time we enjoyed our lengthy lunch and had flies buzzing around it. The next morning, the breakfast (included) which was under chafing dishes would have been great had it been HOT! Even the coffee from the caraffes was cold.

All in all, we would not return to this hotel, they need to review the little things that make a ok hotel a great hotel.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (40)
Picton, Canada
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 10, 2012

Stayed at the Windermere house for a wedding this past weekend. I have lived in northern Ontario for a long time but never visited, but had heard about the place a lot. The pictures and the scenery were great so, as I operate a boutique hotel myself, was looking forward to being pampered myself.
I arrived in pouring rain and had no welcome at the front desk or anywhere to park my car to get out of the rain. There are no signs indicating where to park or enter the property either.
I was staying in a room with my father who arrived earlier, I guess he had gotten us another room with 2 beds, even though when I called to reserve there were none available.
The rooms....in one word.....were terrible! No water pressure, shabby rooms, dirty tables full of sticky gunk, and stained carpet. I know the place was rebuilt in '97 and it seems that nothing has been done since than....dusty rose and sage green were popular in the 90's but that was 15 years ago. The shower was almost comically terrible, barely a dribble of water and the head looked like it was from the original building.
The balcony overlooking the water was nice, but the chunks of roofing that had fallen all over it were not.
During the reception for the wedding, the service was excellent!!! Very friendly staff, attentive and talkative. (the staff is the only reason I am giving 3 stars). The food was not so great...maybe I am spoiled having a chef for a husband...but it was bland, boring, and small portions.
I think a little updating and attention to the rooms would benefit the experience and justify the insane high prices.
I hear the cottages which were new in 2009 were really nice, but didn't see them myself.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
Burlington, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 6, 2012

We got married at Windermere House this summer and cannot rave about it enough! All of our friends & family had such a great time too. Beautiful surroundings, classic,clean,comfy rooms, friendly/helpful staff, yummy food & drinks. What is there not to like! Windermere was so accomodating to our requests and those of our guests. Highly recommend it...can't wait to go back to celebrate our anniversary!

Room Tip: floor 3 - renovated rooms or 2nd floor with balcony!
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
Toronto, Canada
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 4, 2012

Spent a night here over the long weekend in one of the suites with a balcony over the water. (Room 306).

Here are my thoughts on the hotel in general.

Outside
----------
- Some window frames are rotted and the building could use a good painting or cleaning
- The grounds are very nice, well kept and there is lots to do outside, you need more then one day to enjoy all there is to offer in my opinion (Kayaks, Pool, Tennis, Beach, Muskoka Chairs with Bar Service!)

Inside
--------
- Nice interior on ground level. They have a great dining area
- The 2nd and 3rd floor felt stuffy and their was no A/C in the halls. Carpet let off a bit of a musty smell because of this. The day was very hot
- The gym is OKAY, but you're probably not here looking for a world class workout area :)

Room
--------
- Nice room overall, large and a great private balcony
- The A/C was old, loud, and not powerful enough to cool the room
- There is a fridge, but it's not a mini-bar
- No coffee / tea in the room
- Water pressure / heat had a mind of its own

Additional
-------------
- The pub is great downstairs and had great music, the restaurant upstairs had great music too. Way to keep the guests entertained at night :) It was great, we didn't get to experience it all
- The 7% additional fee on rooms on top of your rate and HST is ridiculous
- It was hard to buy a bottle of water in the hotel. A lot of the stores nearby close early, so make sure you stop on the way and pick up some late night snacks, and a pack of water to keep hydrated if you're playing tennis or out on the water for a day
- No early check in or check out was disappointing

I'll be back I'm sure.

Room Tip: Our room was on the opposite side of the Pub. I think this would be the better option if you can ge...
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
Brampton, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 23, 2012

Lovely resort and fantastic location. beautiful propery great view. heated pool (not a lot of shade around the pool area). Lake beach was clean and shallow with a dock, also a little deeper when jumping from boat dock. beautiful grounds hilly, and great spots for chairs with view. fire pit and at night if requested they arrange for the fire to get started, it was shawn and he was lovely. amazing fire and brilliant stars in evening. the room, large, great beds and fabulous linen. best location is overlooking lake but alexandria the room maid showed us a suite. it had 2 rooms, fab kitchen, living room and 3 decks one of them screened porch. jsut more than double reg rate, sooo worth it. front desk staff and servers in restaurant very nice adn helpful. we were loading bags in car ( they have a trolly but no porters) and paul from front desk saw me and loaded them for me, very nice service.

Room Tip: get room overlooking lake
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled with friends
Toronto
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 23, 2012

This place burned down many years ago, and in the development of the new hotel/resort, it lost some of it's Muskoka uniqueness. The rooms are average - nothing for the price - but what makes this hotel/resort great is the location. We sat in the bar for a couple of cocktails, which were really great. The bartender treated us very well. During the summer, most servers are young university students studying hospitality who live at the resort to gain experience.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
Oakville
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 18, 2012

I had the luxury to stay at the Windermere House for the past two weeks. What a beautiful property. I for one am a person that enjoys getting out of the busy/hectic city, and have no problem parking myself on a muskoka chair for a few hours everyday to read a book. Yes, there is wifi (which was a nice treat in the afternoon if I needed to check my emails) but I didn't use it that much, because I preferred the fresh air of the outdoors.

If you prefer resorts with all the technological comforts of the city, stay somewhere else. The Windermere House Resort is for families and people who can entertain themselves without technology. There is a beautiful public beach, which my kids spent almost every waking minute in, and canoes, paddleboards and much more to rent through the hotel.

We did venture off the property a couple of nights to try some restaurants in the nearby town of Port Carling, but the restaurants they have at the Hotel are also awesome. My family loves sushi, so when we discovered we could indulge in spicy salmon handrolls on the verandah we were ecstatic! Amazing sushi with a unforgettable view.

We were also lucky enough to snag a couple tables at the Windermere Pub on the patio. Big Mill St umbrellas kept us shaded on the hot days, while we tried their milkshakes and the Muskoka Monster Burger! I tried a bite of my sons, and all I can say is wow!

My husband brought up his clubs, and was able to get a tee time at the Windermere Golf & Country Club. I stayed with the kids that day while he golfed, and he did the same when I check myself into the Sanctuary Day Spa on the 3rd floor. I booked a massage, pedicure and eyebrow waxing. All the girls in the spa are so great, and the services they offered were flawless. I will definitely be booking my next massage at the Sanctuary Spa near my house in Oakville.

Overall I would say that the Windermere House offers the true Muskoka experience. It has everything you need right there in the little village, while keeping the small boutique feeling of a bed & breakfast. If you plan on visiting Muskoka and really want to unwind and relax, this is your hotel. If you can't relax and need a million activities, a business centre, and someone to entertain you then maybe choose an alternative destination other than Muskoka. You make your own fun in Muskoka, and the Windermere House provides the space to do it. It's that easy.

Room Tip: If you like to stay in your room a lot on vacation, book a lakeview. They all have beautiful views...
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
Jefferye17, Guest Relations Manager at Windermere House Resort & Hotel, responded to this review, August 23, 2012
Dear Helen F,

Thank you for staying with us and taking the time to write this review. We are very happy you enjoyed yourself while staying with us.

We are looking forward to welcoming you and your family again next season!

Kind Regards,

Guest Relations Manager
Windermere House Hotel & Resort
705-769-3611 or 888-946-3376

Been to Windermere House Resort & Hotel? Share your experiences!