“Six weeks in one hotel” 4 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Save on Hotel Packages!
Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Grover Beach
San Diego, California
“Six weeks in one hotel”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 1, 2014

I had a job in the area and surely wanted to get points for my long term hotel stay. There were other HI's in the area, and even a nearby Candlewood Suites, but a work partner chose this hotel, so I decided to try it for a week, and wound up staying longer. First of all, Grover Beach (near Pismo Beach) is on the water, but this hotel is no where near the beach. It is on an exit off highway 101. There are two buildings with rooms, and the office building is separate from them. I prefer to stay on the top floor at any hotel, to eliminate noise from above. I got that here, sometimes without asking. Usually, if there are 3 floors, the staff will (by direction, I assume) automatically assign you to a 2nd floor room, those being the least desirable. But on both buildings here, the main entrance is on the 2nd floor (the property is on a slope), so for people that don't want to use the elevator, that's the most desirable floor. I was in 4 separate rooms at this hotel, and tried both buildings (I worked a 5 day workweek and went home weekends). All rooms I stayed in were large, with an easy chair, ottoman, desk, two dressers, large bathroom with one sink inside and one outside the door. The bathroom doors were all very wide and swung out, so you were never cramped in them. Every room had a balcony, but most just looked onto a parking lot (remember, this is not near the water). But a sliding glass door to the outside is a major plus to me. The rooms all had mini fridges, and they worked well (even froze ice cream). But no in-room microwave. One in the office available, but that meant walking outside across the parking lot. The hotel has a neat outdoor pool, and hot tub that was usually hot (in February, I only use the hot tub). The hotel shares a parking lot with a steak house, and I understand it's pretty good. You could conceivably walk to other restaurants and stores, nearby, but I preferred to drive. Everything is nearby. Restaurants, grocery stores, drug stores, gas.
Bad points. If it were summer, I'd have the outside door open and I'm sure I'd hear road noise. But I stayed in the winter. No in-room microwaves. I did ask for one, two weeks in a row, but never got one. The hot tub was once turned off, but only once. I could only get a 2nd floor room one week, due to the fact that I checked in on Sunday's, and once it was during a 3-day weekend. There is only one ice-vending area in each building. You might have to go up or down to get ice. I heard that the elevator broke down in one building. That didn't affect me, but the elevator I did usually use sounded pretty bad. Main hotel parking lot entrance was on a hill and traffic flew up and down past that entrance pretty fast. You'd notice it if you went in and out as much as I did. There was no exercise room. You want to exercise? Fine, walk through town, there's lots of hills and sidewalks. Parking was OK but a bit cramped.

Good points. I loved the TVs. One HBO, but no in-room movies to buy. Plenty of other satellite channels. There was wide variation of TV sizes in the 4 rooms I stayed in, but all LCD type, and the neatest thing was you have full control. I could change the picture, no limit on the sound, and even the source (I hook up my computer to the TV if possible, and it is possible here). Wireless internet was good. They only required one login every 24 hours. I like the bathroom doors opening out. Baths and showers OK (stupid Holiday Inn sliver soap pieces were annoying, but not their fault). Room sizes were big, and the balcony was great.

I paid a corporate rate here, usually $90. The area has competition, but I'll bet the summer rates are much higher.

Would I come back? Sure. The staff was all great. No in-room microwaves and no exercise room brought it down one star, for me. But, I can recommend it.

Room Tip: One handicap room I was assigned to had a HUGE TV, and a fireplace. But others were OK. I'd ch...
  • Stayed February 2014, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (24)
Concord, California
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 26, 2014

The weekend we went there were several problems. The elevator was broken on the three days we were there. Bringing your luggage up several flights of stairs is no easy task. The Hallways smelled like homeless people lived in them? The staff was trying to fix the odor by opening up all the door and windows in the building. The Door handle broke off in my hand to the main entrance of the building. All the lights were miss matched soft white, white, bright, yellow it looked very tacky and strange. The A.C. units were super old and rusty looked like something from the 70s. The stair well was repaired with sheetrock compound but never painted just leaving the exposed joint compound. Where they decided to paint and repair they used paint that was similar but not the exact same leaving the walls looking like one big patch work project. The shower curtain was not long enough to keep the water off the floor which was creating floor damage. It looks like the repair guy just keeps adding caulk around the tub floor where the wall and floor is rotting. Just buy a longer curtain no caulk needed. There was no toilet seat lid just the seat, Very strange? The good, Breakfast was very good they have the coolest pancake maker that spits out pancakes at the press of a button. Fresh fruit, yogurt, breads, yummy sweet roles, sausage, eggs, cereal and more. The staff was really nice and were enjoyable to talk to. The room was very large and our bed was comfortable. So overall if you want a comfortable bed and great breakfast this is a good place to stay. Just hold your nose and have a good sense of humor regarding all the crazy attempts at repairs. Also keep your fingers crossed that the elevator works!

• Stayed February 2014, traveled with family
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Express Grover Beach-Pismo Beach Area, responded to this review, March 20, 2014
Dear Mark J,

We appreciate you leaving a review on your recent stays with us. We are glad to see that you left some feedback on what you liked as well as what fell below your expectations. I am deeply sorry for any issues you have encountered.

We take all comments into consideration and welcome any opportunity to improve. We will pass over you comments made to our Maintenance Manager in order to investigate further.

Regards,

Brenda J.
Case Manager
IHGCare
Sunnyvale, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 27, 2013

We stayed here for one night. We were looking for a hotel right off the freeway and Holiday Inn Express fit our needs well. Parking and WiFi were free. Rooms were comfortable with two queen beds, a TV, a table, a refrigerator and a coffee machine. The friendly lady at the reception gave us bottles of drinking water and small packs of yogurt for our toddler - five stars for service. The breakfast was OK - bagels, biscuits, bread, eggs, bananas... would have loved a bit more variety

• Stayed December 2013, traveled with family
CentralCoastGM, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Grover Beach-Pismo Beach Area, responded to this review, February 13, 2014
Thank you Karthik S for your review, we love hearing that you had a great stay and that the service was of 5 Star quality! We, as a brand, are revamping our breakfast bar and adding more items to the menu to improve the guests overall experience. We hope that next time you are in the area that you come and see our new changes.

CA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 18, 2013

Initially I thought I was getting a property near the beach but found myself inland near Arroyo Grande and the 101 Freeway. I was not happy as I was going to be attending an event in Avila and wanted to stay near the ocean for the next morning's adventure. Surprise. . .not only did we have the best breakfast ever, with hot and cold food, but this very comfortable, quiet, and spacious lodging was near a butterfly grove filled with returning monarchs! Adventure fulfilled after a very comfortable night's sleep.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled with friends
JanesSal, thank you so much for your Trip Advisor review. We are happy to hear that we surprised you with our hotel and our breakfast, which will be actually improving in the next few months. We hope that you'll come back soon and visit again.
Surprise, AZ
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 10, 2013

We stayed for 3 days. There were a number of things that were wanting. There was no bottled water for all 3 days, we had one hand towel on the second day instead of the 2 we started with, during our first breakfast the eggs, bacon, and gravy were empty and we waited 20 minutes, used coffee cups were left in the room each day, the liner for the ice bucket was not changed until we complained, on the last morning there was no coffee and when I called for coffee the large package was brought up not the one that fit in the coffee maker. We had coffee but had to clean up the spill. It was the worst HIE we have stayed in.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled with family
CentralCoastGM, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Grover Beach-Pismo Beach Area, responded to this review, October 12, 2013
Thank you jerholm for taking the time to write a review on Trip Advisor for the Holiday Inn Express Grover Beach - Pismo Beach Area. We apologize that we fell short of your expectations during your stay with us. The hotel is going through some new and positive changes in the very near future and we would love to welcome you back to stay with us again to see the service we offer. Again, accept our most sincere apologies for the inconveniences that you experienced during your stay. It's our goal to ensure that your stay is an enjoyable one, we hope next time we can WOW you.
Manteca, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 3, 2013

We stayed over Labor Day weekend, so maybe the rates were a little high because of that. I expected something a little nicer for what we paid. On the other hand, the hotel was easy to find right off the freeway, there was plenty of free parking, and the room was large and comfortable. The breakfast was OK. No real good views from this hotel. Overall, probably a good place to stay if all you need is a comfortable bed and a convenient location, not so much if you are hoping for a hotel that is part of your travel experience.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
60sd, thank you for your review on Trip Advisor. We are glad that the hotels location was convenient for you and your needs and that the hotel was comfortable. Thank you, Sam
Manchester, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 28, 2013

This was booked very last minute on our journey down the coast and was actually a great place to stop over.
We arrived at about 2pm but the room was ready and we were then able to use the little pool they have.
Room was a good size and clean.
There is no laundry on site but the front desk staff directed us to one just a five minute drive away.
We had dinner at the steak restaurant in the grounds of the hotel and it was really good value for money.
Breakfast the next morning was complimentry and there was a great choice too.
Can highly recommend it and the location is great if you're travelling along Highway 1.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple

Been to Holiday Inn Express Grover Beach-Pismo Beach Area? Share your experiences!