“Really,...Never again!!!” 1 of 5 stars

Ranked #2 of 2 Grover Beach B&B and Inns
Bakersfield, California, United States
“Really,...Never again!!!”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 14, 2012

Okay so I booked with this hote l(8/11/2012) basically because everything else was full or too expensive. Upon arrival my husband was very dis-satisfied as was I. When given our key we went to our designated room to find the door cracked open slightly. After entering I can say that even in the worst hotels in Bakersfield,CA where I live this hotel room was unbelievably Horrific!! One bed had looked to be slept in. The other bed had blood stains, burn marks and some sort of animal hair. After being thoughly disgusted by the beds alone the entire room was dirty....No clean towels and empty food packages and even the faces of the two cheap dressers were missing!!!! REALLY? After that my husband talked to the owner about the room, after explaining about the state of the room we thought somebody or (Crack heads) due to the neighborhood had broken into his hotel room. He was rude and annoyed at our accusation. We had thought we were doing him a favor. So after sleeping that One and ONLY night we hurried out the next day!....The morning of check out I had noticed a Bump on my eyelid....but thought no more about it. This morning( Tues 8/14/2012) when I went to my doctor I was told that my swollen Eye was because I was bit by a BED BUG! Do yourself a favor and either find a decent hotel or stay home. It will save you the money of going to the Doc. and paying for antibiotics....SIMPLY because these people wouldnt take better care of their hotel.....I dont care if its under new management. This place needs to be shut down....BBB and health department will surely be giving " GROVER BEACH INN" a call!

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (9)
Pittsburgh, PA
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 13, 2012

The owner tried putting me in a room that was off the main office when he learned I was alone (female) which i declined, because his secret passage to the unmade room he offered me was obviously ridiculously shady. There were people up and down the stairs and outside all night, working on their truck and doing who knows what else. The window didn't have a real lock, and the stained chair was probably pulled out of a dumpster.

I ended up here b/c it was cheap ($124!) for a night and there was nothing else within 140 miles when I booked at 8:30 at night.

Feeling completely unsafe, and unable to sleep due to the horrid chemical and rot smell, I left at 3am and drove to LA.

Don't stay here ever.

Room Tip: If you are driving along the PCH from Monterey south, there's limited cell reception. Book in ad...
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled solo

Travelers are raving about these Grover Beach hotels

London, United Kingdom
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 2, 2012

A friend and I stayed here for 1 night on our trip down the PCH to San Diego. We were shocked at how unclean and unkempt this Inn was. The carpet was stained, the over-throw on the bed was also stained, the units and furnishings were dusty and dirty and the bathroom smelt strongly of urine. The only plus point was the sheets and towels seemed to look clean. However in general the upkeep of the place was very poor and the Inn had not been updated or modernised in years. It was evidently clear that customers and their custom was not valued in the slightest or high on the list of their priorities.

Would not recommend this as place to stay at all! Unless you want to come with your marigolds, some strong bleach and a good air freshner!

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with friends
Sacramento
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 19, 2012

This was by far the worst motel I have ever stayed at!! It smelled so bad we put all of our clothes in the car so they would not stink. So dirty and gross. The shower was caving in! The drain had a huge gash and if did not stand to the side you felt like you were falling through the floor! As we started to get into bed we started finding bugs EVERYWHERE!! My poor mother-in-law could not hardly sleep because she found a bug in the bed. We were suppose to stay two nights but checked out early the next morning because it was so aweful! The manager said they are trying to renovate but honestly should not rent out rooms that bad.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled with family
San Rafael
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 3, 2012

We are the most accepting travelers you'll ever meet - we consider a Motel 6 to be like the Taj Mahal.... that being said, this place was so awful you had to laugh.. BYOT (toilet paper!) - The TP was like the stuff you find when you're using a porta potty. This place had no: ice, glasses, blankets, AIR CONDITIONING, clock, hangars, coffee in the rooms, need I go on. Honestly, it was a mess. However, I have to say that the beds/pillows were actually super comfortable and I slept better than I do at most other hotels. So go figure. As long as we were asleep, the place was fine. And BTW, there's a reason why nobody's ever heard of Grover Beach. It's definitely not a tourist destination. Just sayin. And this place cost us $75 for a Friday night! Really not worth that price. Maybe a great steal at $45.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
Modesto, California
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 2, 2012 via mobile

Stayed one night. Read poor reviews. But one said they have new beds and are renovating. So we gave the place a chance.....and should not have!!!
We checked in at 9pm and were tired from our full day. Room carpet is old and looked dirty, dust on tv, & tables in room. Dresser drawers wouldn't close without shoving hard--stains on top of dresser & dust-laden Tv on dresser. Weird old table next to bed--dusty. What, no housekeeping?
No bathmat to step onto--can slip on wet tile floors.
A weirdly placed mirror that was probably bought at a yard sale hung in the bathroom between sink and shower.
The Lobby was not inviting. And should have been our clue.
Sheets were clean but no blanket..just thin bedspread, so need to keep heater on to stay comfortable. I mentioned my concerns to owner when we checked out....he didn't say anything. I told him I'll never stay there again.
If they are upgrading. Just new paint will not work. And not at their prices....I've stayed at Motel 6 and had a better room!
Won't be back...won't recommend at all!

• Stayed June 2012
Stockholm, Sweden
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 23, 2012

We paid 57$ incl tax for one night. Nice king bed. The carpet was dirty, the interior really need to be fixed and it was reasonably clean. Not more. No breakfast, but one block away there is a 7/11 where we bought sandwiches and tea. The motel had a very low budget feeling and we would recommend another place to stay if you can spend some more dollars.

Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple

Been to Grover Beach Inn? Share your experiences!