We booked a Deluxe Queen Room directly from the lodge’s website, which was easy and they were quick to confirm our booking via a confirmation email.
We had flown in from the UK to San Francisco and after getting our rented car and braving the heavy traffic, we arrived at the Lodge at around 11pm. We had tried to call on our way to the lodge to inform them that we will be arriving late but received an automated message to say that the number we have dialled was not in service. There was no mistake in my dialling. The number was that as per printed on the confirmation email. Perhaps it was just down to my UK registered mobile not being able to make the call. We were totally exhausted upon our arrival and found the reception area to have closed but there was a sign for us to ring someone in order to get checked-in. We rang and were shocked to receive the RUDEST reception we have ever encountered from any hotels/lodges that we have stayed at in our travels around the world.
The man who checked us in was in his 60’s and he was obviously not happy at all that we had arrived late. Saying that, there was nothing on the confirmation email to say that there was a limit to the checking-in time. Upon his very cold attitude towards us, I explained to him that I had tried to call but was informed that the number was not in service. He replied rudely to me that there is nothing wrong with their phone, as if I was lying to him! He then made us sign some documents and gave us the key to our room, all done in a very rude and unacceptable manner. Before we walked out from the reception, he said to us, like a headmaster telling off some truant kids, to keep quiet while bringing our luggage to the room so that we do not disturb other guests!
This very experience has undoubtedly affected the rest of our stay at the hotel. Although the room was alright – large and spacious, the free wifi was erratic and weak. We had to practically sit near the window facing the reception to get any signal. The lodge is near enough to the Park, about 20 minutes’ drive and the restaurant next to the lodge served really good food at very reasonable price.
If you ask us whether we will we stay at this lodge again if we return to the area, our answer is no. Not if we have to see that man who checked us in again! First impression ALWAYS counts and in this respect, the lodge has hired the wrong person to do the job. If you are not happy to check people into their rooms after certain hours of the day/night, specify that clearly on your website or booking conditions. We paid for our stay and should not be subjected to such rude and unacceptable treatment.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- The Yosemite Westgate Lodge is the most modern lodging facility on Highway 120, located just a mere 12 miles from the Big Oak Flat "Westgate" Entrance to Yosemite N.P., And a short 35 mile jaunt down to the Valley Floor and the many popular features of Yosemite including the thunderous waterfalls, Half Dome, El Capitan, Cathedral Rocks, and many campgrounds in and around Yosemite. We offer the ideal place to stay if you are traveling from the San Francisco Bay Area and Northern California. Our hotel boasts 48 luxuriously appointed and newly remodeled and extremely spacious rooms. Most of our rooms have two queen size beds, making them ideal for families or groups. The Yosemite Westgate Lodge is a 100% Non-Smoking facility and unfortunately, Pets are NOT allowed. The Lodge has a heated swimming pool, spa, playground, laundry facilities, and an adjacent restaurant. Sorry, we do not have WIFI. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Booking.com, Travelocity, Priceline, BookIt.com, Odigeo, Agoda and Hotels.com so you can book your Yosemite Westgate Lodge reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Americas Best Value Inn Yosemite Westgate Hotel Groveland
- Americas Best Value Inn Groveland