“A quality place to eat” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #2 of 20 Restaurants in Groveland
Certificate of Excellence 2014
Cuisines: Californian, Bistro
Good for: Romantic, Local cuisine, Special occasions, Families with children
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Breakfast, Dessert, Late Night, Reservations, Takeout
Description: Managed by owner-chef Doug Edwards, the menu has 15 items, including appetizers, dinners, and desserts. A bar is also open for wine and cocktails.
Gloucester, United Kingdom
“A quality place to eat”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 16, 2012

The hotel was taken over in March 2012 by a young couple who are clearly making an effort to provide excellent food at reasonable prices. The dishes on the menu are really imaginative and it's clear that great care is taken over the sourcing of quality local ingredients. The chef patron, Doug, was actually our server. He believes in laying all the foundastions in the kitchen and then getting out front of house with his wife to interact with the guests - a novel and thoughtful approach. The owners deserve to succeed. If you're in Groveland give them a try - but you may need to book; the joint was jumping on the night we were there and we weren't surprised!

Visited September 2012

Merced, California
“Great Place for Dinner in Groveland”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 12, 2012 via mobile

Great place for dinner in Groveland, California. The menu is small, but they have creative dishes that offer a change of pace. The recipes are wonderful and food is cooked perfectly and served attractively in comfortable portions.

The seafood is very fresh. Veggies and salad taste fresh from the garden. The cheese plate appetizer was wonderful.

The wait staff was really efficient and pleasant.

If you like chocolate, you should try the flourless chocolate cake. It is really tasty.

We highly recommend this restaurant!

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Okinawa, Japan
“Food Art that you can eat”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 22, 2012

I am a local from Groveland and last Thursday 19 July we decided to try the food at Hotel Charlotte for dinner which has a new owner. For months I heard negative opinions such as expensive and not good selections from the menu. As I entered the facility, the new rearrangement made it very spacious and very accomodating. The selections ranging from 8 to 24 USD. I don't eat much meat so I ordered, Steamed Mussels with Thai Green Curry Coconut Sauce/honey glazed buttermilk cornbread for 19 USD. It is a very scarry decision for me as it is hard to find good mussels, that those cheap ones came from other countries has been chemically preserved, frozen and dead when they reach the US. My date ordered the 20 USD special. My usual drink is the "Hetch hetchy cocktail" l since I don't drink alcohol and no additional cost. As our order arrived and laid in front of us, I have just to look and admire the food presentation. I have never expected it to be this good, the food in front of us looks edible. The mussles were all facing down and the bread placed on top nicely. I felt like I was in my own kitchen and felt comfortable. Now the challenge is how does it taste? As I savored the curry sauce, it has the right taste just like my Thai friend in Japan used to make. We ordered Flourless Chocolate Cake/walnut cream/dried strawberry flakes, we shared for dessert which is 9 USD. The total came up to about $50. How I wish, I could have licked the curry sauce on the mussel shells and slabbered some rice on my plate but that night was a very fine dining with the international standard. A dinner for 2, can't beat that price as when I travel to Japan again this August $50 is just one meal with the same Food Art that you can eat.

La Grange, California
“Too fine dining for my taste”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 20, 2012

I did not like the food. We ate there with a group a year ago.

San Francisco, CA
“Great food in an unexpected setting”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 9, 2012

The Pork Loin was wonderful but what I liked the best was a simple Compressed Watermelon & Heirloom Tomato Salad. The combination of flavors was perfect.

Visited July 2012

Been to Charlotte Bistro & Bar? Share your experiences!

If you own or manage Charlotte Bistro & Bar, register now for free tools to enhance your listing, attract new reviews, and respond to reviewers.