“Quaint little hotel with friendly owners” 4 of 5 stars

Complimentary bottle of wine
Ranked #2 of 6 Hotels in Groveland
GreenLeadersSilver level
California
“Quaint little hotel with friendly owners”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 9, 2009

This hotel was one of three places I stayed in during a hiking trip in Yosemite. Stayed here in early September for a couple of days. The hotel is an older building in the small town of Groveland. This was a nice change of pace from the standard motels I've stayed in during other hiking trips.

I stayed in a standard room on the second floor of the building. The room was clean (bedsheets, carpet, and bathroom). The walls were not thin and I didn't hear my neighbors through them. They have satellite cable and a shower/old fashion bathtub.

The hotel is old, but not rundown old, just an old building which lends it some character. The owners and staff were extremely friendly and helpful. They have complimentary breakfast in the morning which was decent (scrambled eggs, pancakes, sausage, toast, English muffins, cereal, yogurt, juice, milk, coffee, fruit). The dining area also served as the dining area for their 'restaurant' that serves dinner, which I did not try but had heard was very good.

There is a small sitting area where they have games, reading materials and a couple of computers with internet access, which I found extremely helpful as I never travel with a laptop.

The only negative is, which is a negative at most places I have stayed at and is only minor, that you can hear your neighbors in the hallway outside the door. This wasn't too big of a problem for me, but could be if you like to sleep in. Another small inconvenience was the bed was really high for me. I'm not a tall person and I had a hard time getting onto the bed. I don't know if all the beds are like that. This may be a problem if you're older or short, like me.

Overall, I had a very good stay here, would recommend this place to friends and family, and would stay here again if I go back to Yosemite.

A tip if you're planning on going to Yosemite: If you're going to Tuolumne Meadows area of the park and can't stay in Lee Vining, Groveland and the Hotel Charlotte is not a bad alternative. Also, the drive from Groveland to Yosemite Valley isn't too bad, takes about an hour to 1 1/2 depending on traffic.

• Stayed September 2009

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (64)
Brighton, UK
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 8, 2009

My daughters and I stayed for 3 nights in this hotel. It was very comfortable - owners and staff were very friendly, helpful and great fun. Had dinner in the hotel restaurant at night and then went to the local pub for live music and dancing - a bonus. Rooms were clean and cosy - great after a long day in the park. Would stay there again - you really felt like part of a big family.

• Stayed October 2009
Manchester
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 2, 2009

We stayed for two nights and also ate in the excellent little restaurant (don't be fooled by it being called a cafe) both nights.

The rooms are lovely with good bathrooms, not overly large but that suits us.

The staff are all very friendly and helpful and make you feel very at home.

The restaurant is relaxed but keeps a serious mind on the food and it is very good with a menu to suit most people. The blueberry pie on our first night was so good that we ordered it again on the second night even though we were full and took it away to eat the next day whilst walking. We also ordered the peach pie for the day after and we're still not sure which one was the best!

The little things are right too with plenty of car parking at the back, free internet access in the lounge and free US telephone calls.

Groveland is a lovely little place with lots of amenities for its size including other places to eat and drink and a good supermarket. The town is 25 miles approx. from Yosemite but it's a good road and takes less than half an hour to get to the gate.

Huntington Beach, CA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 29, 2009

From making the reservation to checking out, I was surprised again and again with the quality of the whole experience. I was biking into Yosemite with my brother and staying just outside the park entrance in Groveland, and I'm sooo glad I picked Hotel Charlotte. Lynn & Victor are one of the nicest couples I've ever met. They run the Hotel and do an excellent job making you feel welcome, at home and comfortable. They truly go the extra mile to make your stay as pleasant as possible. The rooms are very clean, beautifully furnished, and the breakfast they serve is outstanding (all you can eat too!). I can't wait to take my wife and kids there next time- they will love it!

• Stayed September 2009, traveled with family
HotelCharlotte, Owner at Hotel Charlotte, responded to this review, October 3, 2009
Dan, thank you for the lovely review, but you left out all the fun stuff about your trip that made your visit memorable for us too. He and his brother planned an adverture/man-cation riding bikes from the Sacramento area to Groveland. 87 gueling miles in one day. Priest Grade came as a big surprise to them. Needless to say the next day we helped them finish their uphill bicycle battle with a lift to Crane Flat from which they enjoyed the downhill cruising to the valley. We consider your accomplishment phenominal! We look forward to welcoming you back with auto and family next time.
Newcastle
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 25, 2009

The first thing to say is that we realised when we were booking that this is a character historical hotel. And we were looking forward to the experience and prepared to make allowances including the one hour drive into Yosemite Valley. We think the owners are very proud of the place and they do work very hard to be helpful and friendly. And we also realise our view is at odds with others. But for us the hotel was disappointing because the furniture in our room seemed dowdy and sparse rather than characterful. Nor did we sleep very well. The room wasn't very dark due to outside lighting which we couldn't black-out. Our room was also affected by what I think was an air-conditioning unit outside which seemed to turn on loudly and periodically until 2.00am. The plumbing also seems to be a problem as this was another source of intermittent noise through the night and into the morning which was amplifed through our toilet, which in our room (12) is not seperated by a door from the bedroom. We understand the price reflects a certain level of accomodation but we thought some aspects of the furnishings and decor needed more attention to detail. For us the cleanliness was adequate but not pristine. All this said when we spoke to the owners in the morning to say we weren't happy they couldn't have been more understanding and helpful. And we were very happy with the alternative accomodation they offered us.

Christchurch, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 24, 2009

Our stay was fine. We upgraded to the TV room as it was a bit bigger than the standard room and we hoped it would be quieter as it was at the back of the building. However we were a bit surprised as we were given the TV remote at check in - and had to return it at check out. I think this practice has had its day (ie implies the hosts don't trust their guests), especially when you look at the TV provided -see the picture I have posted. I was also not impressed by the Fridge next to my side of the bed which acted as a bedside cabinet. I realise it was put here because of the limited size of the room, but may be the room furniture should be re-thought. Our host was very helpful and we were able to book our flights on line in the lounge and we enjoyed sitting on the balcony watching the street in the evening. Also the Iron Door Saloon with red snapper and sweet potatoes fries was great.

• Stayed June 2009, traveled as a couple
Asheville
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 24, 2009

We booked the only available room, #5, for one night. Unlike the other 'Traditional' rooms it has no closet and is approximately 10'x12'. The only furniture in the room were the two beds, a vanity/desk between them and one small chair. The only place to put a suitcase other than the beds was the small chair. There wasn't even enough room on the floor to place a suitcase and open it and still allow room to walk. I've never stayed in a room so small.

The beds made so much noise when we turned or got up that we woke each other up during the night.

The bathroom was spacious with hooks to hang clothes. The shower curtain was stained and the baseboard behind the tub had some water damage. Plenty of hot water and good water pressure in the shower.

The TV was 14"-17" mounted in the top corner of the room and difficult to see. We were handed the remote in a ziplok bag at check-in. Classy.

The central a/c was nothing to boast about on the website. We mentioned to the innkeeper that it was very warm in the room and were told the a/c was turned down as low as it would go. She also told us the front half of the top floor of the hotel got very warm, a problem they hoped to correct next year with the addition of wall unit a/c in each room. We were awakened in the early morning by street noise.

Although the hotel itself was quiet at night, the hall light was on and there was no seal around the door allowing light to come in the room.

Most other guests on our floor had not checked in and the doors were open to those rooms so, we peeked in. They were all much larger with closets and plenty of space for suitcases and to relax.

There were two computers in the lobby for internet use. There was also self-serve coffee and tea service. The lobby was furnished with kitchy 'antique' furniture that had seen better days. It was worn through in places and one chair was in dire need of steam cleaning.

Breakfast was buffet style. It was nothing special and I wouldn't recommend the hotel based on the food.

We were greeted both at check in and at breakfast by a friendly staff who were all too happy to share their knowledge of the area. Very family and pet friendly.

Based on cost/value I would recommend any room other than #5. I am amazed that they charge the same for that room as other, larger rooms with double beds. In a room clearly designed for two people there is barely room for one to move around in.

Good morning Astralfarmer,
I wanted to take a moment to thank you for your review, it is good to let folks know our rooms are small, for some cozily so, other too much so. We hope the use of photos on the websit properly shows the small rooms. We balance the small room size with lots of lobby space that is dedicated to guest liesure and not turned these salons into retail space. That and our the large porch helps most to offset the guest room smallness factor.

We do have several larger rooms, at a different price range, though as you noted, when you booked all that remained available was room #5.

Some items to clarify from your message. Only the 4-person family rooms have closests. These are two rooms connected by the bath. No traditional sized rooms have closests and all traditional rooms are the same size and the same price. We have 4 tradtioinal rooms with queen beds and one traditional room with two twin beds (room #5.) Traditional room furniture is sparse providing guests the most space available.

When we added the televisions to the rooms we never anticipated the difficulty guests would have with the electronics of making them work, DISH network. We have found that by giving the clickers from the front desk, we have an opportunity to go over technical aspects of working the TV and reduce guest frustration. Clicker theft never crossed our minds.

Thank you for recommending the hotel even with your concerns, that was very fair.

Been to Hotel Charlotte? Share your experiences!