“Terrible Customer Service” 1 of 5 stars

GreenLeadersSilver level
Hartford, Connecticut
“Terrible Customer Service”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 7, 2013

Simply awful experience with the Evergreen. We have not even been able to visit, so truthfully I can't speak of their grounds but their customer service does not exist. Due to the Government shutdown, we have had to make alternative plans to our honeymoon. After the rim fire in August, we contacted Evergreen to ask specifically how the grounds were and the surrounding area. They made no mention that all of the surrounding forest was closed off due to the Rim Fire and simply told us they were unaffected. While that might be true, with the Government Shutdown closing Yosemite, there is basically nothing to do when you arrive at Evergreen. Rather than being a bit more lenient on their currently RIDICULOUS cancellation policy, my fiance and I had to jump through hoops to essentially get them to agree to refund us. We cancelled over 2 weeks in advance and they wanted to hold onto 1 nights deposit ($176.00) as well as are holding onto an additional $20.00 for our excursion into Yosemite... which clearly needs to be cancelled due to the shutdown. We all know you will be collecting these losses from the insurance company Evergreen Lodge, so stop nickle and diming your prospective guests and DO THE RIGHT THING. Instead, I will be doing the right thing and letting everyone I know to not consider your establishment due to the horrendous customer service.

Also to note, Elizabeth in your recreational services department is especially rude. Thank you for absolutely nothing but higher blood pressure!

• Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
The_Evergreen_Lodge, Owner at Evergreen Lodge at Yosemite, responded to this review, October 23, 2013
Hi, I’m Lee Zimmerman, one of the owners of the Evergreen Lodge. I’m very sorry to hear you had a poor experience with us during the shutdown, and I really wish you had gotten to come stay with us so we could have shown you our true colors. We take to heart anyone who has a poor experience with us, and I have spoken with both our front desk and recreation departments to try to understand where things went wrong so we can improve in the future. As I understand, your cancellation request came in several weeks before your visit, and we proceeded with our usual cancellation process at that time. It is as a result that your frustrations began, and for that I am sorry. I understand we encouraged you to wait a bit to see if the shutdown was resolved, and in the end, while it may not have been feasible for you, I wish that is what had happened, as indeed the shutdown was over before your visit was planned. Such a shame, as I am confident if you had come to stay with us you would have loved your experience. I am truly sorry for adding additional frustration to the already difficult situation caused by the government shutdown. We are in the hospitality business, and the last thing we want to do is frustrate those considering visiting us.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (207)
  • Greek first
  • Hebrew first
Manchester, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 7, 2013

Stayed at evergreen during a difficult time with the recent rim fire and government shutdown. Located in a beautiful forest area outside the national park. Staff were friendly and helpful and the cabins well decorated and comfortable. Bear in mind due to remote location that some often taken for granted amenities are not available - no tv in room and Internet limited on site- but this really ads to the relaxing feel. There is plenty to do to keep you occupied. In addition the food in the restaurant is excellent and has a great selection of freshly prepared food at reasonable prices.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
Hi, I’m Lee Zimmerman, one of the owners of the Evergreen Lodge. Thanks very much for coming to stay with us despite the government shutdown. I’m really glad you had a nice experience and found the lodge to be a peaceful place and that you enjoyed our staff and food. Thanks also for taking time to write your review.
Antelope, California
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 6, 2013

This place is out in the middle of nowhere. We drove for miles on a windy road through burnt forest to get there. No TV, No phone, No internet in room.It was like camping except for the tent. The "vintage" decor was a hodgepodge of second hand stuff. The Sirius radio was the best part. Even the balcony had 2 old Adirondack chairs that needed refinishing and a tree stump for your table! Unless you want to be isolated and don't mind paying top price for bare neccessities, don't stay here. It's a long drive to Yosemite and Groveland. By the way, Groveland has about 2 shops and then you're done.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
Hi, I’m Lee Zimmerman, one of the owners of the Evergreen Lodge. I was really sorry to hear that the lodge was not a fit for you and that you didn’t like the décor in our cabins. I believe you stayed in one of our vintage cabins, and given your preferences, I wish you had stayed in one of our newly built ones (deluxe cabins, cottages or family cabins). While we love our vintage cabins, they aren’t a fit for everyone. I want to clarify though that everything in our cabins is new and was designed and purchased/built for us. We try to give it a classic feel and have purposely created retro elements (e.g., custom made thermos lamps), old school Adirondack chairs and log tables. The entire space was designed by a renown interior designer. Again, I’m sorry it wasn’t a fit for you, but I can assure you it wasn’t for lack of effort, investment or attention to detail. I hope you enjoyed the other elements of the property, including our staff, facilities and food/drink.
Orland Park, Illinois
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 6, 2013

We stayed at Evergreen Lodge this June with our 3 yr old, 2 mo. old and Mother in Law. The cabin provided privacy and more than enough space for our family. We really enjoyed the deck with Adirondack chairs for stargazing, we turned on the satellite radio while enjoying the view wrapped in blankets and our 3 yr old still talks about it. Don't forget the wine! The general store has some great reasonably priced wines and beers. Kids have a variety of play areas and the teenagers were often found hanging out near the zip line. The pool and Jacuzzi are well kept and a fun way to end a long day of walking, but what we really loved about the place was their high quality food. My husband and I LOVE good food and are happy to pay for high quality but so often resorts have the high price but lack the quality. Not Evergreen.They had a menu filled with interesting options, locally sourced some vegetarian and all REALLY tasty! We would top off our meals with a walk over to the outdoor fireplaces to roast smores. If we are in the area again, we will most definitely stay at Evergreen again.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
Hi, I’m Lee Zimmerman, one of the owners of the Evergreen Lodge. Thanks very much for coming to stay with us this summer and for your thoughtful and enthusiastic review. I’m so glad you and your family had a great experience at the lodge. I’m originally from Illinois, and it makes me happy to see folks from my area come out and have a great experience at the lodge and in Yosemite.
Lesvos
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 4, 2013 via mobile

We'd been looking forward to our visit to Yosemite for many months. We'd been concerned by the news of the rim fire, but that seemed to get resolved and we relaxed. Imagine our surprise on the morning of 1st October to discover that the US government had closed down Yosemite!

We still headed for the Evergreen Lodge, as we had the booking and were pleasantly surprised to find that they'd laid on a good programme of activities, which did not include visits to Yosemite.

In the event, we found we were able to visit Yosemite, even though it was closed.

All the staff at Evergreen lodge were friendly and professional and the food was great. There's a great atmosphere in the tavern and we had some great fun with the crowd closing down Camp Mather for the year.

Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
Hi, I’m Lee Zimmerman, one of the owners of the Evergreen Lodge. Thanks for coming up to stay with us despite the government shutdown. I’m so glad you had a good experience and that you enjoyed our staff, food and activities. Please come back and see us again!
Brisbane, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 3, 2013

We stayed here for three nights following the recent bushfires. The lodge itself was undamaged although fires came to the perimeter. Our cabin was large, clean and perfectly equipped for our stay. Waking up to the sound of birds was delightful. Staff were incredibly friendly and helpful and couldn't have done enough for us. We really enjoyed coming back at the end of each day in the park and sitting in the spa, swimming in the lovely pool, playing games in the recreation centre or making s'mores by the outdoors fireplace. Although it is located outside of the park it is a short drive to the entrance and within 20 minutes you are able to hike to the Sequoias. After experiencing the busyness of the valley, we reflected that although the views are less breathtaking we preferred to be at Evergreen Lodge where it was quieter and more restful at the end of a long day. We would love to return to Yosemite and this would be our choice every time.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with family
Inver Grove Heights, MN USA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 2, 2013

Hello, I wanted to write a review to inform others of how amazing this lodge is....

I recently was booked with two friends to stay in Evergreen's tent site. The staff made a small error in setting up amneties within our tent and immediately offered to upgrade us to a cabin for the same price. They even let us stay an extra night...The cabins were very charming, well stocked with towels, lovely soaps and even a Kerug machine!!! What is most unique about this staff is not just the upgrade options....they are very approachable, and give off the sense that they really care about their property. They were genuine in all interactions. I would go back there in a heart beat!!! I can't say enough positive things to let others no what a great expereince it was using this factility. They think of everything and go out of their way to ensure your stay is comfortable and that you have a quality experience!!

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with friends

Been to Evergreen Lodge at Yosemite? Share your experiences!