“Custom tenting-with extras!” 5 of 5 stars

GreenLeadersSilver level
Salt Lake City
“Custom tenting-with extras!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 15, 2013

While on a business trip in the area, I had the chance to visit Yosemite and found the Evergreen Lodge. EL has a unique accommodation: custom tents, with lantern, air mattress, complete with fireplace, nearby showers, and a morning visit from park facility staff to 'refresh' the air mattress!! While I had reservations to dine @ EL, I cancelled it once I discovered the friendly 'grill pub'- the menu, brews, pub visitors and staff were most welcoming. The next day I took advantage of the day tour to visit the Park itself- for $100, I was able to see it all. I never would have been able to find the great photoshoots and sights with out a planned tour. Met a British couple on the tour, and made plans to hike again the next day. The staff at EL were fantastic: friendly, professional, and made great recommendations of nearby things to visit and see on my way to Sacramento. Lodi was the BEST: lots of wineries, local brewpub for the end of the day- and my introduction to 'garlic fries'. If your $$$ goes further, take advantage of the EL upgrades for lodging...and otherwise, you'll still feel a bit spoiled and indulged the EL staff!!

• Stayed June 2012, traveled solo

1,000 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (167)
  • Greek first
  • Hebrew first
Sonora, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 7, 2013

I live in nearby Sonora and had the opportunity to spend three wonderful days/nights at the Evergreen Lodge in November 2012. My spacious cabin had an extremely comfortable queen size bed, lovely furnishings, a Keurig coffee/hot beverage brewer, a mini refrigerator, and a SIRIUS satellite radio with an Ipod docking station, which more than compensated for the lack of a television. I was particularly delighted with the number of windows in the cabin, which included a sliding glass door that led to the private deck. Oh, and did I mention the view - nothing but trees...and amazing sunsets. Although the cabins appear to be somewhat close together from the outside, they are surprisingly private from within or from the deck.

I ate most of my meals in the tavern - every meal was more delicious than the next and the waitstaff and bartenders were excellent - friendly, charming, and helpful. I wasn't surprised in the least to see that the tavern was frequented each evening by people who live in the area - it's a happening place! There was live entertainment two of three nights, which added to the frivolity and merriment.

Evergreen's grounds are spectacular and its buildings, including the cabins, the Main Lodge, which houses the tavern and restaurant and dates back to 1921, recreation center, Tuolumne hall, general store, and Tuolumne Hall, blend in beautifully with the environment. And you won't believe the size of the heated swimming pool and its beautiful surroundings... There are plenty of nature and walking trails, a playground, horseshoe and Bocce ball pits, ping pong tables, and bicycles for rent to keep you busy - oh yes, and of course, Yosemite National Park, HetchHetchy Reservoir, and Groveland's Rainbow Pools are just down the road! I'm fortunate to live close enough to be able to go to Yosemite whenever I want to, but I've already told my husband that the next time we go, it will be for the weekend and we will absolutely have to the spend the night at EL. Over the years, I've stayed inside the park but nothing, even the Ahwahnee Hotel, provides the type of outdoor adventure that the EL does, especially for families.

Perhaps what impressed me the most was the quality of the staff, who undoubtedly were as happy to be at the EL as I was. Everyone I encountered, including check in/out, General Store clerks, wait staff, bartenders, and housekeepers, were all professional and obviously took great pride in the work that they performed. I should also mention that the nightly campfires with s'mores (provided by staff) was too much fun - again, would be perfect for families - and the complimentary telephone service and use of computers was extremely convenient for those wishing/needing to keep in touch with those back home. Oh yes, and the chicken salad that is available in the General Store is better than anything I could make myself!

Lodging, meals, beverages, activities, surroundings, staff - all perfect in every way!

Room Tip: My cabin was located to the left side of the swimming pool area and was very quiet, secluded, and pe...
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled solo
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 7, 2013

We went to Evergreen Lodge in Dec 2012 and had the place practically to ourselves. We had a one day guided tour, using one of the guides at the Evergreen, and had an amazing day...even being lucky enough to spot some bears! The lodge itself is a short ride away from yosemite National Park but is situated in a magical spot, with great walks and surroundings of it's own. The accomodation lodges are brilliant and are mainly semi-detached with private balconys and gas fires and are all connected via lamp lit pathways...beautiful at night. All the staff are SUPER friendly and we'll be going back as soon as we can!

Room Tip: Ask for a lodge by the Sunset viewing spot, where you'll get a beautifully romantic sunset from...
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
Fremont, California
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 6, 2013

Evergreen Lodge is a great location near the 120 entrance of Yosemite. We have enjoyed our summer visits to the Lodge so thought it might be fun to celebrate the new year here.

Our misfortunes began immediately when we were informed our cabin was not ready...after 2 or 3 visits to check, the room was finally ready after 4pm. In our previous visits, we had a parking spot next to our cabin so I was surprised to learn that we could drop off our luggage at the selected room but would have to park in the overflow parking area.

The long awaited room itself smelled "funky"; and we returned to the Reception area. Staff was accommodating and found us another room. (We have since learned that Evergreen closes in January to complete a through cleaning...clearly needed.)

Evergreen has recently added a pool/hot tub and we chose a room very close to this facility...with slightly less of a funk.

That evening, we discovered the the promotion information that we read about the 2 day visit had changed: no band for our first night.

The next day we arranged for the Snowshoe hike, but did not discover until we were leaving that staff elected to forgo the snowshoe's on the hike. Despite our disappointment, Bryant Burnette was well versed on local lore and we had a nice time.

Staff attempted to provide a nice New Year's and the food was excellent but the band choice did not really inspire dancing and the other room was cold (with a door open all evening) so very uninviting.

Overall a uneven and disappointing experience. We will return again to Evergreen but only during the summer months.

Room Tip: Check to see if room has an allocated parking spot. If a family, ask for a room near the pool.
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
San Jose, CA
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 3, 2013

I've stayed here twice, once in the summer and then just last weekend for New Years Eve. I don't know, the place is nice enough but it lacks something...soul maybe? I just don't yearn to be in this place. The cottages are furnished simply - nothing notable and not all that cozy. Tiny refrigerators and coffee makers that make one cup at a time. The food at the restaurant is hit or miss. Eggs benedict was good, but the prime rib was fatty. I don't like the way they nickle and dime (or dollar!) you for everything. A guided outing to Yosemite is something like $85 per person. Morning yoga is $15. Everything that sounded fun meant you'd have to shell out substantial moolah. The general store was well stocked with lots of useful items for hiking and did include reasonably priced bottles of wine. Rec room was well stocked with games and a nice fireplace. Staff is efficient and friendly, but seem impersonal to me. I just can't put my finger on why this place doesn't wow me -- I'm happier in Curry Village or San Jose Family Camp or the Lodge at Yosemite Falls. All those places feel special to me -- unfortunately, Evergreen Lodge does not.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with friends
Dublin
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 2, 2013

I would highly recommend this Yosemite base. The staff are friendly and helpful and we had a really knowledgeable guide to ourselves for a full day trip inside Yosemite (Steve).
The accomodation is very comfortable and the food is great.
Yosemite itself is clearly the star of the show but this is a perfect base for it. The pool area is a really nice bonus too!
No TVS in the room but sure that is part of the charm and there is internet in the main building.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
Waterford, Connecticut
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 25, 2012

If you are not intent on staying within the park, this is a delightful place to stay. It is about an hour from Yosemite Village, 20 minutes from the H-H dam. The staff does an excellent job of creating a variety of events for families, ideal for visiting with kids. There are a variety of beautiful hikes in the immediate neighborhood. The food on-site is quite adequate, especially breakfast. We stayed in one of the older cabins, quite adequate as long as you don't need fancy. The newer cabins look more comfortable if you are not interested in roughing it.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple

Been to Evergreen Lodge at Yosemite? Share your experiences!