“A cosy cabin in the forest” 4 of 5 stars

Hotel packages
Ranked #1 of 5 hotels in Groveland
GreenLeadersSilver level
Esher, Surrey
“A cosy cabin in the forest”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 27, 2011

We really loved Evergreen Lodge; our cabin with terrace with views over the forest, the bar and restaurant and the wonderful surroundings. We enjoyed a great biking trip along the hilly but stunningly beautiful road around the site. Food was of a high standard and the bar provided a good selection of beers and the wine list was also quite good. We also enjoyed a massage whilst there which was also of a high standard. We enjoyed a great BBQ and camp fire smores which I now know what they are! Evergreen was situated very close to the entrance of Yosemite so a very convenient place to stay for visiting the park, which we did and although very busy, Yosemite is strikingly beautiful.

We just had one gripe really; after a very long drive in very unfamiliar territory, we turned up a few ours early for check in and in no uncertain terms were told to come back at 3.30pm. No welcome to Evergreen, no explanation of their site and services, no ' perhaps have a drink and something to eat at our bar and by the way the restaurant is over there'. We weren't even offered a glass of water! We were both quite taken aback by this attitude, but decided to leave it be and asked someone else where the bar was. That is the only reason I have given the lodge a 4 rating not 5.

Room Tip: The cabins at the back of the site have views over the forest
  • Stayed July 2011, traveled as a couple
The_Evergreen_Lodge, Owner at Evergreen Lodge at Yosemite, responded to this review, August 2, 2011
Hi, I'm Lee, one of the owners of the Evergreen.

I’m very happy you enjoyed your time at the lodge. Thank you for your many complementary comments. I’m glad we could provide your first s’mores!

The poor hospitality you received upon your arrival is absolutely unacceptable. I have spoken to our front desk team about it – it is a long drive to come to Yosemite, and your arrival should have been celebrated. In addition, we have many fun activities and locations for early arrivers to enjoy, and our front desk staff should be introducing these options to guests and helping guests understand all there is to do here. My apologies that you did not get the arrival experience you deserved.

Thanks very much for taking time to write your review and for taking time to detail the many nice elements of your experience at the lodge.

Coincidentally, I’m off to Surrey next week to visit my sister, who lives there!

Cheers, Lee Zimmerman

997 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (167)
  • Greek first
  • Hebrew first
Fremont, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 26, 2011

We typically stay in Yosemite Valley and I was apprehensive about staying outside of the actual park. Despite my early concerns, we were pleasantly surprised.

The cabins are very nice with outdoor chairs to lounge. The Lodges also has two large recreation centers with ping pong, board games, DVDs , and nightly things to do after hiking, biking or enjoying the surroundings. We also received great hiking advice from the Recreation staff...

Terrific staff, good food, beautiful surroundings for a reasonable price. It was hard to leave!

Hi, I'm Lee, one of the owners of the Evergreen.

I’m so happy the lodge was a pleasant surprise for you and that you found it hard to leave. Thanks for the nice comments on our staff, food, etc.

I hope you can come stay with us again sometime.

Thanks for taking time to write your review, Lee Zimmerman
Georgia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 26, 2011

This place is a gem. Great private cabins scattered in the tall trees, very close to Yosemite. I've seen very few places as well run as Evergreen Lodge. My wife was hesitant when I told her we were going to stay at what I described as 'summer camp for adults'. She loved it. The staff is incredible. Location superb. They also have an excellent restaurant and pub. We will return.

Hi, I'm Lee, one of the owners of the Evergreen.

It’s so nice to hear that you found the lodge to be a gem and that your wife was pleasantly surprised by her experience with us – thanks for taking that chance!

We hope to see you again on your next visit to the area.

Chicago
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 22, 2011

Our family spent 6 nights while exploring Yosemites Hetch Hetchy region. Cabins were newer, clean, and comfortable. Location was great for Hetch Hetchy area and for a day drive into Tioga Pass. Roughly about a 40-45 minute drive to the crowded valley which we only did one day.

Because of Evergreen's remoteness, I would recomend stocking up with supplies at a grocery store prior to making the trek in. The onsite 'store' is fine for a bottle of wine, lite snacks, or a 6 pack but expensive for most other stuff. The restaurant does a nice job and is reasonably priced. Next closest place to eat was about a 30 minute drive so we ate all our dinners at the restaurant and looked forward to it after a day of hiking.

Evergreen's staff and the restaurant's wait staff all were warm, friendly, and very accomodating. They had simple but great night time activities including indoor and outdoor movie night, smores every night at the outside fire place, board games for the family to use in your room and at the activity center. They also had ping pong, billiards, and table shuffle ball. Very family oriented!

We enjoyed all of Evergreen and would stay again when in the area.

Hi, I'm Lee, one of the owners of the Evergreen.

It’s great to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us. I’m from Chicago originally, so I’m always happy to hear when someone from my home town visits us and has fun at the lodge.

I hope you can come visit us again someday.

Thanks for writing your review, Lee Zimmerman
north jersey
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 22, 2011

We stayed @ The Evergreen Lodge on June 19th , departing on June 21st.The drive from San Francisco was direct, just do not rely on any GPS once you get into the mountains.. Once we arrived at the lodge we were welcomed & quickly checked in by the staff. The family cabin that we rented was very nice, 2 bedrooms, nice living room area , large bathroom with nice shower /tub.Deck with 2 chairs was perfect for early morning coffee & a good book. Our recommendation would be a ceiling fan in the living room area.The restaurant was excellent, full course meals or burgers if you like. I had the bison burger one night, it was very good. Fresh trout one night was delicious.Full breakfast is served too every morning. We dined outdoors for dinner & in the dining room for breakfast. be mindful of the mosquitoes when dining outdoors.The bar is fully stocked and you can buy a good bottle of wine in the general store if you like.The Evergreen Lodge Tee Shirts are really nice & a good value. We took the Glacier Point & valley tour on Monday with our Evergreen Lodge guide Alex.We decided on taking the guided tour since we were only in the park for 2 days.Alex showed us more of the park in that day then we could have ever seen on our own. His historical knowledge was truly appreciated by all of us.Thanks Alex!

Hi, I'm Lee, one of the owners of the Evergreen.

I’m really happy to hear you enjoyed your stay with us. I’m glad that you experienced the Glacier Point tour and that you enjoyed your time with Alex – he’s a really committed guide. Nice to hear that you liked your cabin, our food and other elements of your stay with us.

Thanks for taking time to write your review.

Cheers, Lee Zimmerman
Farmington, Minnesota
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 22, 2011

We stayed here in June 2011. I was able to get either a cabin or custom tent with booking 4 months ahead. The cabins were very high priced and opted for the custom camping. Which I love to camp anyways. The foam mattress and sleeping supplies were comfortable. The bear lockers are big enough to put an average size cooler and then other items like shampoo/condition and lotion. Something I didn't realize bears like to get into too. There was a nice picnic table area that you could have your meals. The bathhouse is pretty decent, but they need to add hooks or mini shelves around the sink area. Lots of water sits on the counter and you really don't have a dry place to set your toiletry bag down. Extra hooks in the stalls would be helpful too, as I got dressed in them everyday. They have a large sink basin attached to the bathhouse. You can fill your water bottles if necessary. They also have a washer and dryer, but need a code or something to get in that room. The grounds are beautiful and well taken care of. Wood chips were placed on all paths and trails. Garbage and Recycling bins all around the property. The unique extras is what sets this resort apart from others. (They had a neat fort type structure that kids could climb on and a huge rope spider thing which they don't mention on the website.) It's rustic enough, but with a hint of modern. The "courtyard of buildings is a great gathering place for relaxing with family. Although, upon check-in I was not impressed with the staff at all. I was very surprised as the reviews were all pretty good. I think I'm pretty understanding when it comes to customer service as I've worked at in service industry for years and know how it can be. I expected them to be friendlier. Maybe it was the day because the general store cashier and the server we had later that evening at the restaurant were not hospitable either. I felt like we were a burden to all of them. It really left a bad taste in my mouth. Especially with such an awesome property. (I would hate the customer service to be the factor that would not bring people back.) Not used to this kind of service, I was concerned for the reminder of our stay. Thankfully the following days were a great improvement. Each day we got the awesome coffee at the general store and the cashier was very nice, polite and helpful. We did not eat at the restaurant again as we were in Yosemite Valley that day and got back too late. (My son loved the Bison burger! He talked about it all day. The food was really good. ) One of the nights it rained all night - it started at 9pm in the valley. We got to our tent at 9:30pm to find that 2 of the beds were wet. I had noticed the rain fly was not attached properly upon arrival, but wasn't concerned because my research said it rarely rains in the summer in Yosemite and if it does it's not very much. Well, it rained 1 - 3/4 inches that night. My kids slept in the car while my husband and I slept in the tent dodging the drips from the ceiling. That's how it goes with camping though. The next day was our check-out and the front desk employee was very nice and was able to get permission to reimburse us for that night. Which was greatly appreciated as I didn't get much sleep. The wi-fi was hit or miss. I wouldn't rely on it if you needed to send/read emails. We were able to charge our batteries for our phones and cameras which was great. I would definitely come back and spend more time at the resort itself. It looks like a place you can really relax in! The drive to the valley was beautiful. About 45 minutes. You are able to see more wildlife and are very close to Tuolumne Sequia Grove.

Room Tip: Custom Camping. Keep bags and suitcases in the car. just enough room to sleep 4 in the family tents...
Hi, I'm Lee, one of the owners of the Evergreen.

I’m happy to hear that you enjoyed your custom camping experience along with the grounds/activities and food at the lodge. So sorry to hear about your unlucky timing on the rain and the improperly attached rain fly – we should have caught that it wasn’t on correctly. I’m pleased our staff tried to make things right when they learned of your situation. I’m also sorry to hear about your initial service experiences – definitely not acceptable. I’m glad you saw our true colors after that first day.

Great idea on more hooks/shelves in the bathhouse sink area and shower stalls. We’ll look to add those soon.

Thanks for staying with us and for your thoughtful review.

Los Angeles, California
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 20, 2011

Stayed there with my family and another family over the 4th of July weekend. In general, we all had a good time -- it is a very nice, clean resort and Yosemite is amazing. Here is my biggest COMPLAINT about Evergreen: There is no "quiet time" curfew. At other similar "luxe" campgrounds where we've stayed, there is usually a policy that guests respect quiet time in the evenings (usually after 10pm) so that guests can sleep and/or enjoy the quiet outdoors (stars, trees, etc.). At Evergreen, there is no such policy. Therefore, we were surrounded by cabins with people drinking, shouting, playing loud music and partying until the wee hours of the morning. I'm not sure if this is normal there, or if it was because of the holiday weekend. And because there is no A/C, and we had to sleep with the windows open, it was like trying to sleep during a frat party! Not good to be in the woods of Yosemite, and to hear Bon Jovi at 2am instead of crickets! Management ... please consider enforcing a quiet time policy!
Here are some minor annoyances: When the resort is busy, expect a long wait (45 minutes to 1 hour) from the time the server takes your order to when you get your food (at either the restaurant or pub), internet is very flaky (but hey, you're in Yosemite!), there is a charge for using the sofa-bed (which wasn't explained to us when we made our reservation).
Here is what we loved/liked: The cabins are clean and spacious, there is lots to do for the kids (ping pong, pool, rope climbs), the food (when it eventually came) is delicious and reasonably priced, servers are very friendly, the facilities are well maintained and provide incredible convenience for being in such a rustic setting.
If the management would only address the late-night noise/partying issues, it would be a 4.5 star place to go and we would definitely be back!

Room Tip: Request one of the newer cabins!
  • Stayed July 2011, traveled with family
The_Evergreen_Lodge, Owner at Evergreen Lodge at Yosemite, responded to this review, July 22, 2011
Hi, I'm Lee, one of the owners of the Evergreen.

Thanks for staying with us. While I'm happy to hear you really enjoyed many elements of the lodge, I'm very sorry that you experienced frustrations as well.

You are right that the late night revelry was an anomaly associated with the holiday weekend. The lodge is almost always very serene in the evenings. We should have done a better job enforcing our nighttime quiet standards in the cabin area that weekend. I have spoken with our General Manager about your visit, and he confirmed that a group of friends was up that weekend that was too boisterous around their cabins in the evening. Our GM also confirmed that we were too slow to quiet them down, which was unfair to our other guests. My apologies here, as you deserve serenity when staying at a 'cabins in the woods' resort like ours. Again, virtually every night this is a non-issue, and I'm so sorry we didn't address the problem more quickly.

If you are game to come visit us again, I can promise you that you'll get all of the fun of your first visit along with the serenity you'd expect.

Thanks, and again, my apologies for not managing the quiet hours better.

Lee Zimmerman

Been to Evergreen Lodge at Yosemite? Share your experiences!