“Excellent choice if visiting Yosemite area” 4 of 5 stars

Hotel packages
Ranked #1 of 5 hotels in Groveland
GreenLeadersSilver level
San Francisco, California
“Excellent choice if visiting Yosemite area”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 28, 2011

This is a great place for your next family vacation. Evergreen Lodge is tucked away (WAAYYYY away) off the beaten path of Yosemite. It's a beautiful camp site, with well appointed cabins & a homey restaurant.

They've added some upgrades - notably the patio - which is a great place to curl up with a glass of wine and chat it up with your friends.

The overall vibe of the place is part rustic and part hillbilly. They draw a local crowd in the bar for their live music and it can be a bit dicey.

Overall, the cabins are spare but cute. I wouldn't say they're no-frills - as they're a heck of a lot better than a tent. They come heated, with a fridge and a deck with chairs.

If you go:
- make reservations at the restaurant
- bring items to stock your fridge
- book a biking tour
- know that the drive to Yosemite's floor is about 45 minutes
- if you go on a holiday, it's unbearable at Yosemite

Bring a book & just relax. Take a few hikes, bikerides & tap into their unique excursions. They really are fantastic. Skip the massage hut - it's not relaxing at all.

Watch out for giant spiders!

Room Tip: Request a cabin close to parking
  • Stayed May 2010, traveled with family

995 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (166)
  • Greek first
  • Hebrew first
Edgewater, Maryland
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 27, 2011

We stayed 3 nights during spring break and really enjoyed the peace and quiet of the surrounds! The cabin provided plenty of space for us and our 2 children (they shared the sleep sofa). The weather was a bit on the rainy side so we didn't get to enjoy the deck as much as I would have liked. The maids/staff kept the rooms & property very clean (which is no small task w/the mud/dirt from hiking/rain).

The property has lots of neat play areas for kids/adults to enjoy. My kids (13 & 10) loved meeting up with and playing with the other kids in the open rec area w/the ping pong tables, etc. and having smores by the fire.
The resort felt totally safe for them to "run free" as we enjoyed some quiet time in the lodge in front of the roaring fire. We ate dinner in the restaurant 3 nights and really enjoyed the service and food. $10 cocktails in the bar seemed steep and I'm not sure why - but they were good. I felt they had plenty of choices on the menu for the 3 nights we were there and we ate in a different location of the restaurant each night to keep it "fresh" (bar area, covered outdoor space, inside restaurant). There were lots of families (probably due to spring/Easter break) so I'm not sure how thrilled I would have been if it was just my husband and I looking for a romantic weekend!
We found the entire staff to be hard working, friendly and helpful. Our tire had a small leak and the guys at the service area kept it filled with air.
It's a bit of a drive to the main valley but I didn't like the looks of any of the historic park hotels when I booked our stay and I'm so glad I chose Evergreen Lodge (based on TA reviews) instead!! Our fav hike was actually at Hetch Hetchy - closer to Evergreen. We did the 5+ miles to the second waterfall. It is apparent the owners/mmgt take pride in this resort - seems they are regularly updating the amenities provided. Check out the sunset deck. Nice to have the coffee makers, satellite radio and games in our cabin (didn't miss the tv one bit!) We really enjoyed our stay and would recommend it to anyone!

• Stayed April 2011, traveled with family
london
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 27, 2011

Evergreen Lodge is a truly fantastic find. Its situated in a great location within Yosemite, although not right in the valley it allows you to experience the scenery as you drive in, and nothing is far away. The staff at the Lodge were great, incredibly informative and helpful, advising us on how to get the most out of our time in the park. The food in the restaurant was also great and very good value - we had 3 nights and enjoyed every minute! There is a huge amount to do at the Lodge once you have had enough of trekking - We did a yoga class with Belinda one morning which was a great way to recover from the previous days trek - Belinda also spent time giving us tips on where to go for the rest of our California trip! If you have time - I would 100% recommend staying here!

• Stayed April 2011, traveled with friends
Melbourne
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 22, 2011 via mobile

Great place to stay, especially for families. Not as busy or touristy as the valley but still only a 30 minute drive away. Food is fantastic and of a very high standard. Staff extremely helpful and obliging.

• Stayed April 2011
Chula Vista, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 6, 2011

My family stayed here during an autumn roadtrip up to Gold Country. We actually had been to Yosemite a year prior in the spring, so this was only a pit stop in a woodsy area for us. My family (husband, 4 year old, co-sleeping baby, and adventurous grandma) all stayed in a queen cabin (with fold-out sofa bed), no fireplace, for about $130 (fall, off season rate). We travel a lot and usually stay in Choice Hotels with a friends & family discount, or, stay in a Natl Park itself in park lodging. The Evergreen Lodge, in our opinion, was a *great* place for the price. Totally reminded me of Dirty Dancing.

The room was clean and we could see a million stars from our porch, and had our coffee in the morning there watching squirrels and critters run around. We were very happy for no TV and no internet....I don't need facebook on vacation. Since we have small children, and learned from staying in/near Natl parks before (captive audience, overpriced or no food, etc) we come prepared. We brewed hot water in the coffee maker to make instant oatmeal with some dried fruit from Trader Joes. There is a mini fridge, so you can pick up some light groceries on your way in (before you check in). We always travel with lots of snacks and non-perishable meals that only require hot water....when we drive I bring a plastic bin with snapping lid filled with goodies). I would also bring some wine/beer and glasses/cups. We really appreciated that a general store was available, some reviewers said it was overpriced, but its still better than NOTHING like we found in Sequoia (who claimed everything was closed due to it being off season, yet the hotel was full). 7-11 is overpriced, too....I think people just get fussy on vacation.

We had fun on the ping-pong tables outside with nearby restrooms, the kids indoor play area, and sandbox with tee pee. However, there were lots of splinters in my boy's feet from the sandbox (he insists on taking off his shoes everywhere). We ate on the patio, which was very romantic, and everyone was nice to us...even with our exuberant 4 year old who loves to chat it up with strangers. And they were still nice to us after my son choked on his food and threw up all over the floor. The food was overpriced, but still tasted good. We usually splurge one night on the restaurant where we stay if it looks good, and I couldn't pass up the setting. My grandma decided to have a beer at the bar and watch a game, and she had a great time.

Early in the morning we made the short drive to Hetch Hetchy and the views were stunning despite no waterfalls. We did the Valley & southern part of the park already, and this would be a great home base to do the northern part of the park. I would love to stay here in the spring to see the meadows, when there are no bugs and the waterfalls are flowing at Hetch Hetchy. However, after we spent $225/night on a hugely dissapointing standard room in Sequoia Natl Park (Wuksachi) we have a genereal rule now that we dont spend too much anymore....cuz then we are really expecting a lot and don't like to be let down. Just our luck it will all go to pot :) Even though I really liked it, and I always compare new places to this when researching vacations, I just can't justify spending more than $200/night to stay here. I have noticed that the worst reviews on Trip Advisor come from not getting what you pay for.

• Stayed October 2010, traveled with family
Durham, North Carolina
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 13, 2011

We stayed in one of the new cabins. It was pretty clean and comfortable. The food was good and eating breakfast on the porch in the morning was nice. Our only complaint is that there wasn't a TV or wi-fi in the cabin and the wi-fi at the rec center was very slow. It was hard because theres also no cell service, it's hard to get in touch with people without leaving your cabin and spending a lot of time finding a phone or waiting to use the internet. It was a nice place to stay and a lot of fun things to do. There was amazingly priced and was great to buy snacks and stuff for the day. It is by far the best choice in the area.

• Stayed July 2010, traveled with family
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 25, 2011 via mobile

This place is fantastic. We stayed here while visiting Yosemite in the winter (very quiet and peaceful). It's really lovely. The cabins are cute and have a gas fireplace (thermoset controlled) sirius radio that you can dock your iPod through and games in the room...cute touch. No TV which I loved, and a private deck which was snowy but I'm sure is wonderful in the spring or summer. The onsite restaurant was surprisingly good with a very nice, attentive staff. All of our meals were teriffic actually. Also on site is a general store with most anything you'd need, a recreation center with a roaring fireplace, wifi, computers to check in with the world (should you want to) and complimentary phones to call anywhere within the US. The staff in the rec center leads tours and can give you any info about the park.

Everyone was knowledgable and helpful and the place itself was really perfect. Would definitely stay there again.

• Stayed February 2011

Been to Evergreen Lodge at Yosemite? Share your experiences!