“Exceeded expectations in every way!” 5 of 5 stars

Website
Improve this listing
Ranked #1 of 7 Attractions in Groveland
Denver, Colorado
“Exceeded expectations in every way!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 1, 2013

My husband and I went on a pre-wedding/honeymoon trip with John and it was AMAZING. John is so knowledgeable about the area and can probably give you any type of experience you're looking for. We wanted to backpack for a few days, but had never been backpacking, and were coming from CO, so this was perfect! John provided all the gear and food (which was excellent, btw) and knowledge. We were so hectic with planning before we met up with John that neither of us even knew where we were going, so were totally in his hands. He took us to several lakes in the Ansel Adams wilderness and it was great. Our first 2 nights/3 days, we didn't see another soul - and it was labor day weekend. He had to readjust our route because we were out during the Yosemite fire, but it was all great. He knows just how much to talk and engage, but when to back off and let you and your friend/family/partner enjoy the experience on your own. It was our first off-trail experience and it made me feel like I could do it again! And if you like dogs, you'll love Parker, John's amazing and friendly golden retriever.

Visited September 2013

san Francisco
“"Great Adventure!"”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 20, 2013

I have done many of the iconic hikes in Yosemite (Half Dome, Cloud’s Rest, Yosemite Falls, Vogelsang Peak) and although I enjoy returning to old favorites I’m always looking for something different. When I contacted John early in the year he suggested totally new hikes: Virginia Lakes to Green Creek and Twenty Lakes Basin Loop--these were excellent suggestions! By late June the weather was mild, trails clear of snow, wildflowers at their peak, the scenery spectacular. Green Creek was a particularly good idea, as it was a point-to-point hike which I would not otherwise have been able to do. The second day we took the boat taxi across Saddlebag Lake, making the more distant lakes easily accessible.

I’ve used other guide services and found Yosemite Guide Services to be the ideal experience. The hikes were appropriate for distance and skill level. If you are interested in the alpine environment and why things are the way they are, John’s extensive knowledge makes an otherwise long day fascinating and pass quickly. Looking forward to more adventures in 2014!

Visited June 2013
College Station, Texas
“A Great Time For All!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 16, 2013

When my family first agreed to undertake this adventure, it was on one condition: that we hire a guide to show us the ropes on our first backpacking trip! This initially discouraged me both because of price and my own adventurous personality. However, after stumbling upon Yosemite Guide Service and talking with John, I was quickly put at ease and knew that a fun trip was in store! John was sure to take my family's former experience and expectations into consideration and was hands-down the fairest price for what he offers! For those of you who may be wary like me about hiring a guide because you feel it may "cheapen" the true backcountry experience, you will NOT be disappointed. John was sure to maintain a true sense of adventure while still providing an experience that was enjoyable for my less-adventurous parents. This was a trip that I will always remember and John and I will certainly be in contact as I begin to plan and undertake my own backcountry trips!

Visited August 2013
Adkins, Texas
“John Kleinfelter - Yosemite Guide Service - Fantastic!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 13, 2013

We gave our son the opportunity to choose a trip to celebrate his transition from high school to college. He choose well! He selected a hiking/camping trip in the Sierra Nevada mountains of California. Originally the plan was to visit Yosemite - but John's wisdom and exceptional knowledge of the area and the number of tourist visiting the park this time of year led us to something truly better. As a family, we were all new to the hiking and rugged camping scene. Our son engaged John early in our process of planning the trip and John assisted us every step of the way in preparation. He gave us spot on recommendations for the gear and clothing we would need. My son and his friend elected to purchase their own gear with the hope of doing this on a more regular basis. My wife and I decided it would be best for our first trip to let John provide our packs and gear. Everything was perfect - including fantastic meals! Our trip included hiking to East Lake in the Hoover Wilderness - 3 days and 2 nights. On the second day, we day hiked to Summit Lake. It was breathtaking. Just when you thought you had seen the most beautiful view in your life - something better appeared at the next turn. John and his faithful, furry companion, Parker, helped make the trip one of our family's most memorable (and we travel a lot!). He is extremely knowledgable - has decades of experience and knows the answer to just about any question you can imagine regarding the majestic Sierra Nevada. He encouraged us along the way, gave us a perspective of conservation and appreciation for the region that we would not have gotten if we had tried this on our own. He loves what he does and he loves to share and teach along the way. Best trip ever! Two things we are sure about - we will be back and John will be our guide!

Visited July 2013
Tampa, Florida
9 attraction reviews
“A Family Hike of lifetime”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 11, 2013

A absolutely incredible trip of a lifetime! John is an incredible guide. My husband and I wanted to introduce our 7 year old along with our 2 nephews and niece and their parents to hiking. We wanted the trip to be something we would all remember for the rest of our lives. John gave us just that! The campsites were beautiful, the scenery was more than we could have imagined, granite mountains, fast running streams and tall trees. We felt like we were hiking in a commercial. These were vistas that will be forever in our memories. John had absolutely everything planned and organized. His packs, tents and gear were top of the line (not the usual rental stuff) He made our time on the trail so much fun. Our 7 year old now wants to be a hiking guide, just like John when he grows up. John, we don't know how to adequately say thank you enough for giving our family a memory that will be carried for generations. The kids are already talking about how they want to take the same hike someday with their kids. I would recommend John and Yosemite Guide Service to everyone.

Visited July 2013