“Cute small town inn, great owner!” 3 of 5 stars
Review of The Hideaway Motel

The Hideaway Motel
We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Greenville
The Hideaway Motel
761 Hideaway Road, Greenville, CA 95947   |
Ranked #1 of 1 hotels in Greenville
Northern CA
“Cute small town inn, great owner!”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 26, 2012

If you're looking for five star luxury, go back to the city! But if you're exploring the beautiful area near Lake Almenor and Lassen, this is a great little hotel.
The owner is a very kind and welcoming man who shows pride in his property. The rooms are very clean and comfortable, circa 1970-80's, but everything was very clean and the bedding was comfortable. I would recommend he invest in a nice memory foam pad to cushion the bed a bit, but the mattress isn't horrible.
I would say this hotel compares with the room you'd find at a hotel 6, but you're getting a great host and a beautiful setting. I would stay again if I find myself in this sweet town.

• Stayed June 2012

14 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (2)
Chico,CA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 9, 2012

I spent two February nights in room #9 of this motel and thoroughly enjoyed my stay. It's no Taj Mahal, but the room was clean, the bed was comfortable, the gas wall heater cranked out an amazing amount of BTUs, and the shower was hot with plenty of pressure and spray. The host, Bink, was very gracious and attentive. The room included a small fridge, microwave, coffee pot, and free WiFi. The TV was small, but I'm not a TV watcher so it didn't matter to me. I would definitly stay at this motel again.

• Stayed February 2012, traveled solo
Oakland, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 17, 2011

This is the place to stay if you're looking to really "get away from it all." The Hideaway is nestled in the woods, surrounded by beautiful, giant Oak and Redwood Trees. Sitting on your porch in the morning with your cup of coffee, you'll enjoy watching the birds, squirrels and chipmunks as they begin their day along with you. At night, the Milky Way is visible, something sadly missing in our cities. The rooms are not new, but very clean and well-ammended and the beds are very comfortable. The owner is very nice and available to answer questions about the surrounding area--he knows it well.

If you're looking for casinos, fast-food restaurants or box-stores, this is not the place for you. But, if you enjoy nature and all she has to offer, I highly recommend the Hideaway.

• Stayed October 2011, traveled on business
Paradise
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 6, 2011

This place is a dump, considering we paid over $92 per night for it. The lovely Mr. Bink walked us to the cabin and politely announced, take it easy with the toilet, it leaked last winter and I haven't had time to fix it. OK..... He told us this bed is firm and this one is softer. They both felt like rocks. I do have to say it did smell nice (is that cleaniness or good ventilation?) Oh and don't believe that they have hair dryers, irons, they didn't even have any hangers in the closet. The stricker plate was off the door. No kitchen as advertised, yeah it had a microwave and little fridge (I didn't even look in them), and it did have a coffee pot and coffee.

Got you trapped with their 7 (seven) day cancellation policy. Never ever heard of that before. Too bad this Mr. Bink cannot keep up the maintenance with the prices he charges.

Room Tip: What are the amenities provided, i.e. iron, phone, coffee, kitchen, internet.
  • Stayed September 2011, traveled with family

Travelers are raving about these Greenville hotels

Santa Cruz, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 29, 2010

If you are looking for a simple cottage-style base from which to explore gorgeous Plumas County, this is a sure bet. The owner, Bink, is extremely friendly and helpful; a great guy. Our cottage, which is in a line of cottage-rooms, had 2 rooms and a tiny but adequately equipped kitchen. Wall-type heater was a bit loud but did the job fine; bed was the spring mattress type. Bathroom was clean, everything worked fine. Location is beautiful, near a lot of lovely nature attractions. The nearby town has restaurants and services. Round Valley and lake are very near by; in fall the dogwood turns red--altogether making for a fabulous trip!

• Stayed October 2010
South Lake Tahoe
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 14, 2010

Charming older motel with nice clean rooms. Nothing fancy or elegant just nice secluded place. The motel is 60 years old but the rooms are clean and nicely appointed and reasonably priced. Very peaceful setting full of charm and wonderful hospitality. Stayed 2 nights. Nice sitting outside our room reading in the evening or having a cup of coffee in the morning.

• Stayed June 2010, traveled as a couple
Paradise, California
1 of 5 stars Reviewed April 23, 2010

[Note: I wrote this last summer, the day after "experiencing" this motel. I held onto it until now because I wasn't sure I wanted to post such a negative review and risk potential online wrath. Upon having a friend ask us about lodging in the Greenville area for the upcoming summer, though, I realized that I wouldn't want anyone staying at this motel without being previously aware of its condition--so I felt obligated to post our account.]

We booked two nights at the Hideaway Resort in mid-June for the Fourth of July weekend.

I found only a few online reviews of the place (not at TripAdvisor) and, figuring as I usually do, on tossing out the highest and the lowest, it sounded like a decent place to rest our heads between holiday activities in the nearby communities of Quincy and Chester.

I called the owner to make the reservations and asked specifically about cleanliness, non-smoking room availability and mold/mildew issues. Bink assured me that it was “very clean” and that we would love the great mattress and blankets and there would be no issues with smoking or mildew smells. I gave him my credit card number to reserve the room.

Upon checking in at approximately 4:30 in the afternoon of July 3, we asked to be shown our room (Room 2). Bink walked us to the room and pushed the door open. We stepped inside and were speechless.

We have nothing against small, independent motel--many of our most enjoyable stays have been at them. We have nothing against “funkiness” of décor and construction from previous eras--our own home is a 1920’s cabin in the woods. We have nothing against being off the main highway without wifi or in-room hot tubs--we’re simple folks and that’s what we prefer.

I am not a cleanliness fanatic--but we do have issues with mildew and mold (the shower floor at our room in the Hideaway was heavy with mold and the room’s air stale with the sour smell of mildew), missing porcelain tiles in the shower (more than two dozen tiles had fled the wall’s surface), shag carpeting that is so dirty that dust rises when the door brushes across it, a stainless steel mixing bowl wedged under the toilet tank to keep drips from falling on to more of the same shag carpeting and a broken sill on the front door, leaving a gap through which bugs and vermin could easily enter.

A front double-hung window and a small window in the bathroom provided the only ventilation (aided by a dusty table fan). That would have been acceptable, except that Room 1, beside ours, had a plastic table and chairs out front with a pack of cigarettes and a lighter on them. Bink told us the folks in Room 1, 3 and 4 were a “nice group” and were out for the day. The cigarettes and lighter predicted to us that they’d be sitting out on the front porch, just beside our window, smoking during the evening—meaning no fresh air for us to escape from the mildew smells.

Bink told us repeatedly how difficult it is to run a small motel and that there’s no money in the “hospitality industry” for the “mom- and pop-run motels.” I’m not in any position to financially assess his operation, but as a consumer I can tell you why this particular motel could be having difficulties: There’s an appalling lack of cleanliness at the Hideaway Resort Motel. And precious little “hospitality.”

Back in the lobby, Bink pointed meaningfully at the “7 Day Notice of Cancellation” statement he has posted there. We admittedly were up against a hard place—I knew the policy was seven days’ cancellation, but I hadn’t imagined the place, at its worst, would be more than “old” or funky.” We paid a cancellation fee to drop our second night’s lodging, making our one-night paid-for stay almost $129.

We bet that many people book a reservation by phone and then are aghast, when arriving at their lodging, yet can’t back out of the reservation because of the policy. It felt a bit like extortion. And we paid it just because we were still in shock.

We headed back to the room to see if it was indeed as dirty as it seemed on first inspection and found it depressingly so. The mirror in the main living area was filmy with smudges and the portable refrigerator sat forlornly on the dirty floor, its door hanging open against the ground and cord dangling sadly. Only two lights provided illumination (‘probably better that way).

We took some photos to document the room’s condition and then, figuring that money lost is one thing but a night spent in a mildewed and dirty room is truly a horror, we left the key on the bed and got back in our vehicle. We arrived home at almost 11 pm, with collapsed vacation plans—but knowing we’d at least be sleeping in a clean room.

Our lesson learned? To never book an unseen lodging that has “no refund” policy. Our advice to you? Run away from the Hideaway Resort Motel in Greenville.

• Stayed July 2009, traveled as a couple

Been to The Hideaway Motel? Share your experiences!