“Our first and last visit” 2 of 5 stars

Improve this listing
Ranked #34 of 97 Restaurants in Grass Valley
Cuisines: Indian
Grass Valley, California
“Our first and last visit”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 3, 2012

We had heard so much about Indian food, we were excited to try it one day, opting for lunch and arriving about 12:15 p.m. The food was set up buffet style but disappointingly, most of the serving dishes were empty and continued to be so throughout the service, so we were left with few choices. It wasn't until we were leaving that the Tandoori chicken finally came out so we waited--and sampled a taste or two. I had heard so much about the flat bread naan but it was nowhere in sight. It was finally brought out when two guests made a request for it--but, hey, what about the rest of us? We didn't get enough food to make an evaluation--I can only say the service wasn't stellar and we'd never go back.

• Visited July 2011
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 2 of 5 stars Food

“Loved this place”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 16, 2011 via mobile

We are from out of town and was craving some good authentic Indian food. We were pleasantly surprised. Loved the place. My favorite was the a loo gobi it's cauliflower n potato with onion and delicious spices. Also the sag pander was great. I would recommend this place and go back many times.

• 5 of 5 stars Food
“Love, love, LOVE it!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 6, 2011

My family and I have been eating at India Oven every so often ever since it opened it's doors. It's a family owned business located in the Pine Creek shopping center. The staff is courteous and friendly.

My family always loves the food and raves about it to our friends and tries to get as many people to try their food as possible. The Saag Paneer, Baigan Bharta, and Makhani Chicken are just a few of our favorites. The vegetable pakora is pretty decent standalone but when you combine it with the mint/cilantro chutney it becomes heavenly! I do love their basmati rice as well, it's perfectly perfumed and flavored--I could eat it all day on it's own! Oh yes, don't forget the naan! We prefer the garlic version.

Do be aware, however, that it's dependent upon who's in the kitchen as to how spicy your food will be, mild to one chef is medium to another. If you have a hard time with spiciness, you may find the mild spice too much. We typically go with medium, but some days that's hot enough to make our eyes water, not that we mind. =)

As for the restaurant itself, it's a little on the tiny side and the tables are pretty close together so when the dining room is packed (typically only dinner time in my experience) it's a little difficult to navigate through the chairs, of course the booths are wonderfully cozy. To avoid a packed night, we typically place our orders from home so that by the time we reach the restaurant our order is ready, no waiting for a seat or for the food, then we take it home and enjoy it with our family. I'd highly suggest ordering to go if you're claustrophobic.

For the wallet-conscious, just know that the prices have been raised over the years (I think a dish that was once $8 is now anywhere from $10 to $12), but that's because the food is pretty well worth every penny. My family may not eat there as often because it has gotten a little pricey for us, but we still make a point to grab an order of Daal every once in a while.

• Visited December 2010
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
bigbadcookindad
“Usually very good”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 3, 2010

I typically enjoy the buffet @ India Oven. My wife is not too excited about any type of spicy food, but she is usually able to find suitable items during their lunch service. Unfortunately this was not the case the last time we ate there. Every item except for the salad and the naan was too spicy for her and my son to eat. Some people right now are saying "duh, it's Indian food", but I have taken them there several times before and did not have that problem. My only other complaint is that the dinner portions can be too small for the price tag. I really do enjoy the wide array of flavors offered here and next time I am looking to eat a meal solo I will go there again.

• 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
Nevada City
“Good place for vegetarians”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 3, 2010

I always have the buffet when I dine here and there are lots of vegetarian options. Some of the food is quite spicy, but all of it is full of flavor.

• 4 of 5 stars Food