“The Best Food In Grass Valley!!!” 5 of 5 stars

Cuisines: American
Good for: Romance, Bar scene, Local cuisine, Special occasions
Dining options: Dinner, Reservations
Smartville, California
“The Best Food In Grass Valley!!!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 28, 2010

The atmosphere here is half the fun. Staff is professional and attentive. The food, well, it's the best in the area. My favorite dish is the Rack of Lamb. The lamb is cooked perfectly to order every time I order it and it is the best I've ever had. My wife orders the Filet Mignon and the staff is always willing to give her both dipping sauces that they offer for it. I thought the prices were a little high, however my 10 year old daughter sat with the Chef for 45 minutes engaging him in coversation about her love for cooking and how he does what he does behind the grill. After that experience, I'll never complain about what you get for the price you pay. Hands down, the best food and charm in grass Valley. Keep up the good work guys.

Steve

Grass Valley, California
“That’s not cooking. It is art.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 15, 2010

From the moment we entered the old but well maintained building, it was clear that the Owl isn’t just another restaurant. As is expected from the spirit of Grass Valley, the staff is warm, approachable and friendly. For our appetizer we’ve had the Billy Blue Bread, a fantastic, unique taste like no other. Our main course included an absolutely stunning Ribeye steak, splendid Garlic Mash potatoes, excellent Teriaki Shrimps, and a splendid baked potato that melted on the tongue. However, the true highlight of the evening was the perfect Clam Chowder, done so superbly it easily surpasses even the ones found in Monterey. To summarize this perfect evening we’ll just say that the Owl is fantastic beyond belief and the food… that’s not cooking. It’s art.

Ehud Gat and Brittany Fisher

Nevada City, CA
“Friendly staff and great food.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 6, 2010

We celebrated our 24th wedding anniversary at the Owl tonight.The dress was a little more casual than we expected, however, that all fits into the Grass Valley way of life. We had a large portion of prime rib with twice baked potato. They were both good tasting. We also had the halibut and wild rice special. It was delicious. They should put the halibut back on the regular menu. We especially thought the staff was very friendly, and the service was good. We didn't have to wait very long for our meals. Altogether, we enjoyed our visit at the Owl tonight. Thank you. Diane West

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
nevada city, ca
“It's just okay, but go up the hill to Nevada City for better service.”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 26, 2009

I've eaten at the Owl for years, through numerous owner and menu changes. It's never been my favorite. Even though the food is decent, the service tends to be pretty slow, and the dining area very loud. It's not a very relaxing place at all. A couple of years ago, some kid acting as a host at the front desk pretty much put the last nail in the coffin as far as me ever visiting their restaurant again. Sure, on a Friday night, it's a good idea to make reservations. One such night, a friend and I did not. Nothing wrong with walking in, and seeing if they have anything at the bar, right? We're not reindeer herders fresh from the steppes of Outer Mongolia. We know that popular restaurants get busy on a Friday. Apparently, we're not sophisticated enough to manage such a task, according to the little snotty kid at the front of the house.

"Oh? You DON'T have reservations?" with mocking muffled laughter. "This is Friday night, MA'M. You know this is THE OWL, right?" rolls eyes, thinking we can't see even though it's kind of dark. "We're simply cannot accommodate people who DON'T think to make reservations on a FRIDAY."

This is utterly unacceptable. A simple "Sorry, we've got full house tonight." would suffice. I've never been insulted like that before. My friend talked me out of calling the manager, and we went elsewhere. If that is how you make a first impression on your potential diners, you've lost my business for good. In the scheme of things, one person's bad experience doesn't matter, but being a local, I like to patronize local businesses if I can. This is no longer one of them. I'd rather go where I feel I am wanted, and can have an enjoyable and relaxing experience. You can do better up the hill, or even around the corner at the Main St.

• 2 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Paradise CA
“Try the billy blue bread! You will never forget.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 30, 2009

Great service, excellent food. I always get the fillet mignon but have also tried the salmon and it is awesome too. Our favorite restaurant by far.