“What happened to Kane's?” 1 of 5 stars
Review of Kane's Family Restaurant

Kane's Family Restaurant
120 East Main Street, Grass Valley, CA 95945 (Formerly Kane's)
Website
Menu
Improve this listing
Ranked #26 of 96 Restaurants in Grass Valley
Cuisines: Italian, American, Pizza & Pasta, Family Fare
Good for: Families with children
Dining options: Breakfast, Dinner, Lunch, Late Night, Reservations
Colfax, California
“What happened to Kane's?”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 10, 2010

What happened to Kane's? Did they change owners this year (June 2010)? We used to come up to Grass Valley to have lunch. Their soups and lamb sandwiches were always excellent. However, something has changed . The last time we went the place was dirty and the food tasted like it came out of a can or package. The waitresses were rude and acted like the customers were imposing. The chef's were fighting and slamming food. One even picked up food that fell on the counter and put it back on the plate. It was awful. I wish we had never gone.

• 2 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 1 of 5 stars Food

Nevada City, California
“Haven't had a bad meal there yet!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 28, 2010

I'm a little confused as to the negative comments out here. I have been to Kane's quite a few times for lunch, dinner and just appetizers/drinks. I have never had a bad meal there. The staff isn't always what you'd expect from a more high-priced restaurant, but I've never had anyone be rude to me or had 'bad' service.

The meals are presented very nicely and as I said, I have yet to have anything brought to me that I didn't like (and I always order something different).

My only complaint, but it goes with any of the higher priced restaurants in this area, is the price for a glass of wine. Way too steep.

The ambiance is nice; whether it's cold outside and you sit where the fireplace is going, or if it's nice outside, and you sit out on the patio. Good food, fair service and a nice place to go for a special occasion.

• 4 of 5 stars Food
Vancouver, Canada
“Very nice but don't stray from the menu”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 27, 2010

I took a family member to dinner at Kane's late April 2010 as a birthday treat: there were three of us and our experience was a very mixed bag. The staff is welcoming and the atmosphere quite nice (the patio with a gurgling fountain at the front is pleasant but we dined inside) so I'm confused by other reviews here. Dinner salads were fresh, the vinaigrette dressing quite nice, bread was excellent and replenished quickly. Main dishes: my seafood crepes were wonderful. The chicken and pasta very good. Both were around $17 (main & salad) so good marks for value and tastiness there. However, one of our party had a "special" which was $23 (price not mentioned by our waiter) for a dish I can only call a culinary mess. It was part Alfredo sauce, part pesto, with mixed seafood and -- it really didn't work. In fact, less than half was eaten (I tried a bite and didn't want a second!) They did bring a nice birthday sundae. Bottom line: ask what the most popular dishes are and stick to those and you'll enjoy your experience!

Milwaukee
“They Don't Care”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 22, 2009

I travel to Grass Valley several times a year on business. I was pleased when Kane's first opened but things quickly went downhill.

In my last few visits the service has been horrible. Once it took 20 minutes for the waitress to process my bill. Another time I waited 15 minutes without any of the wait staff asking me if I was ready to order. I walked out. And tonight I went in and requested a table for one. The waitress helping was walking me to a small table on the patio when (I assume a manager) told her that there were people at the bar waiting to be seated. The table she was directing me to was not big enough for more than one person. I then said I would sit inside (where there were several open tables) and she said there would be a wait.

I dine at most restaurants in Grass Valley while here on business. At least 3 three of them recognize me and act very happy to see me return. Others are cordial and I've never had to wait for a table, service or to pay the check.

Kane's has been a very big disappointment to me.

• 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Nevada City, California
“Inconsistent”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 17, 2009

We want to love this place... but ... we've had about an equal number of good and bad meals. The patio and dining room are nice, we especially like the fireplace. But the food ranges from very good to very bumpy. Had one excellent dinner salad, but the next time we got a very boring one. The chicken piccata was great, but the vegetables that came with it looked like frozen vegetables poured from a bag and then cooked really badly. (This is California - the land of "California Cuisine" so decent vegetables should not be a challenge to a chef). The "authentic" pizza margarita came with a load of dried oregano on it, and when I sent it back the waitress told me "that's the way the chef likes it." Well I got news for the chef -- you won't find a pizza margarita in all of Italy without fresh mozzarella and basil and NO dried oregano! (Maybe it was the mexican version of italian pizza). We did have a delicious Ahi Tuna appetizer, and friends have told us they have good burgers and grilled meats. We've also always had excellent service here.