“Outdated facility” 2 of 5 stars

Ranked #4 of 9 hotels in Goleta
Boulder, Colorado
“Outdated facility”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed February 11, 2013

This is the second time we stayed here. We will not return for the following reasons: The rooms are difficult to heat when the weather is cold. The heater makes a loud noise. The lights on the smoke alarms flash all night. The manager told us this could not be corrected. The beds are worn out and sagging. The bathroom had water damage and was very cold. The breakfast is o.k., however the layout of the dining area is poor. There are doors that open automatically from 2 sides and if the weather is cold there is a constant blast of cold air every time someone walks in front of the door. Also, construction companies house their employees there. So if you want an early breakfast, the dining area is very crowded and the ambiance is dreadful. If you want to stay in Goleta, spend a bit more and stay at the Hampton Inn.

Room Tip: If you must stay here, ask for a 2nd floor courtyard room.
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
South-Coast I, Manager at BEST WESTERN PLUS South Coast Inn, responded to this review, February 19, 2013
Hello,
Thank you for taking the time to review our hotel. We are sorry that you did not enjoy your time here with us.. On behalf of our entire team, I would like to apologize for not exceeding your expectations. Your satisfaction is important to us and we will be using the feedback you gave us to implement improvements to ensure we offer a better experience for guests in the future.

If I can provide any assistance, please don't hesitate to contact me directly at 805.967.3200.

317 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (52)
Los Angeles, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 6, 2013

We planned a 4-day getaway travelling as far as Cambria for two nights and spending one night in the Santa Barbara area. In checking prices and reviews for Santa Barbara for one night, a Saturday, I was discouraged by the high prices and the many negative reviews as well as the no one-night reservations on the weekend. Knowing that Goleta was just about a ten minute drive north, I decided to check hotels in that area and settled on the Best Western Plus South Coast right off Highway 101. The price was right with our AAA discount so I booked it. What a pleasant surprise! The hotel is large and beautiful, the staff is lovely and gracious, the dining room pleasant, the food selection was plentiful and tasty and the room was very comfortable with a wonderful bed. The hotel offers free parking and free wi-fi. Fresh baked cookies are set out in the late afternoon and we arrived at just that time so enjoyed a warm cookie as we checked in. The pool area is large and inviting and there is a separate area with a jacuzzi. Just outside the dining room are tables with umbrellas and chairs where you can, on a nice day, enjoy your breakfast or a cup of coffee outdoors. We enjoy a "good" cup of coffee and in the dining area there is a specialty coffee machine that actually grinds the beans before the coffee goes into your cup. There are several choices for the coffee from regular and decaf to latte, expresso etc. Newspapers are available in the dining room. The hotel is located just off the freeway and we heard no freeway noise at all. From the front of the hotel you really don't see the freeway even though the street parallels the freeway. Since it was dark by the time we got checked in and were ready for dinner we asked one of the young ladies at the front desk for a recommendation. She gave us a few choices and we settled on the Elephant Bar which I'll review separately. Just a little north of the hotel is a business area with a good variety of places to eat, including Outback Steakhouse, Denny's, a few fast food places, Chinese and Mexican. Sunday morning we were back in Santa Barbara in about ten minutes. We will definitely stay at this hotel our next trip to that area.

Room Tip: We asked for a room on the second floor and in a quiet area. We faced west toward the pool and we he...
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
Thanks so much for posting a great review. We are really grateful, and so glad that you enjoyed your stay with us. We loved hearing about how you enjoyed everything from the grounds and the breakfast to the staff and the location. We hope that we are your choice every time you visit the area, and we look forward to having your back again. Please contact me direct with any needs for your next visit.

Phoenix, Arizona
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 2, 2013

This place really has it all for the business traveler, free parking, free wifi in all areas, free high quality breakfast at a good corporate rate. Whats not to like here? It is a good location - you can get anywhere you need too quickly. Its close to the airport. They have a van to the airport if you need it and they will take you limited places around. There are places to eat close by for dinner just down the road. I also signed up for the frequent stayer program - but I forgot the name. The price is reasonable and since I had a rental car. The staff is friendly and helpful. The work out room is new and nice - the pool and hot tub are great. The grounds are nice and well maintained and the entire property is clean. Only down side is highway noise and train goes by once and awhile but pick your room location and work with the front desk to find a quiet room. I will be back every time I go there and I am in Goleta on business frequently - its my go to place. Its a nice break from the pompous full fare places that give you less and charge you more. This is how its supposed to be done.

Room Tip: work with the front desk to find a place where you dont hear the highway and train - they will know...
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
South-Coast I, Manager at BEST WESTERN PLUS South Coast Inn, responded to this review, February 4, 2013
We are so glad that you took time out of your day to give us such a great review. We could not have written it better ourselves! Ha ha ha! We really appreciate our return guests and are so happy that we have impressed you enough to make us your "go-to" hotel in Goleta!! Thank you so much.

Sonoma County, CA
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 30, 2013

This was by far the best Best Western I have stayed at. I was concerned that it was so close to highway but our rooms were quiet and faced a garden.
The staff was great, very responsive. The beds were very comfortable, room very clean, decent pool and breakfast.

Room Tip: We were on the first floor rooms 512 and 516. They faced a garden not the parking lot and were very...
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled with friends
Thank you for taking the time to let us know how well we did during your stay. We love nothing more then to hear from our satisfied guests. We are glad that you enjoyed our great rooms and peaceful setting. The staff strive to make it great for everyone.
We look forward to seeing you again.

Orange County, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 22, 2013

I stayed here over the weekend for an event I attended at UCSB. Before staying here I didn't know that hotel prices are much more reasonable in Goleta than in Santa Barbara proper. The drive time that the savings will cost you is 10 minutes. This place is better than the best/new Holiday Inn Express you would ever stay, and trust me I used to be a multi year platinum Priority Club elite guest. The rooms are very clean with DVD player, microwave and refrigerator. I found a great rate online at their web site. I used to stay out of the SB area due to the price of lodging, but the South Coast Inn has made me a believer of staying in Goleta!

• Stayed January 2013, traveled solo
Thank you so much for the GLOWING review! We are so glad that we could offer you the Best Best Western experience and that we have sold you on Goleta! We love hearing when we have really impressed a guest, and we look forward to having you back again soon.

Thanks again,

Reston, VA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 20, 2013

This hotel is very convenient to Santa Barbara without the Santa Barbara price tag. Beginning with the front desk staff, the stay was quite pleasant. The room was large & clean. I left my jacket there by mistake, rang the hotel a day later to report my forgetfulness & rec'd a call back hours later with an assurance that the housekeeper found it. The kind gentleman on the other end took all my info & said he'd send it to me later that day. I would definitely stay here again & highly recommend this hotel. Go to The Natural Inn in Goleta for a fabulous meal!

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with friends
Hello,
Thank you so much for taking time to review us. I really appreciate all the nice things that you had to say about our property, and we look forward to having you back when you come to visit Santa Barbara. We are glad that you were able to get your jacket!

PS.....the Natural Cafe is one of our favorite places to eat, too! ;)

AGM

Been to BEST WESTERN PLUS South Coast Inn? Share your experiences!