“Not your typical Kimpton” 3 of 5 stars
Review of The Goodland, a Kimpton Hotel

You added The Goodland, a Kimpton Hotel to your Saves list
The Goodland, a Kimpton Hotel
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   5650 Calle Real, Goleta, CA 93117 (Formerly Hotel Goleta)   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Spring Savings 15% off
Ranked #6 of 10 Hotels in Goleta
GreenLeadersSilver level
Portland
“Not your typical Kimpton”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed 2 days ago NEW

This is not Kimpton's best renovation! It's an old Holiday Inn, and although they have put alot of cool and groovy influences into this hippy hotel, it's still a holiday inn underneath! We were in an upgraded room, and still had to pull the room darkening shades to have privacy, and everyone walked by our windows to get to the restaurant. This might be a new add for the area, but for those who look to Kimpton for a classy retreat will experience a surprise here. Breakfast was great... Housekeeping needs some lessons on cleaning and replacing towels, washcloths and removing dirty dishes!

Stayed May 2015, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (33)
Los Angeles, California
3 of 5 stars Reviewed 1 week ago

We stayed there one night, the lobby and staff are good, good food, at the hotel restaurant, freshly made tacos and "The Good burger" made up for the bad room.
But, the rooms need new carpet, thin walls, we blasted the ac so it drown out the noise from other rooms.

• Stayed April 2015, traveled with family
Lake Forest, California
3 of 5 stars Reviewed 1 week ago

I like most Kimpton Hotels, they usually offer good value with lots of extra little things for free. The Goodland Hotel is fine for a weekend stay in the Santa Barbara Area.
It has a retro beach feel to the place and rooms.
The bed was comfortable & the bathroom was small but done well. I liked the hard surface floors in our room too! Nice employees, Seth and Zoe handled the front desk area well. We actually, biked all the way to the beach on their free bikes :-) Also, they love dogs here and gladly accept them without extra fees!

The restaurant was very nice with outside seating and great finger foods. The food was way better than I expected for a hotel.

Ok, a few things I didn't like:

Very thin walls which allow you to hear way to much from the other rooms such as talking, music and even the television :-(
Resort fee of $25.00 each night, I've stayed at several Kimpton hotels and I didn't see the value in it. I'm an Inner Circle Member with Kimpton and I've never been charged this silly fee before.
Work out room is large enough but poorly equipped, only 3 machines and a few small weights. It could be improved.

Overall, the place is kind of nice. Unfortunately, they have thin walls which allows lots of noise into your room.

Room Tip: interior rooms facing the pool offer hard surface flooring instead of carpet which worked well for m...
  • Stayed March 2015, traveled as a couple
Santa Barbara, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed 1 week ago

Great bar, nice setting. This place has been totally redone and is beautiful. Great bar, was able to sit outside with a bond fire. Walking distance to other restaurants. Bus stop in front. Bikes you can ride

Stayed April 2015, traveled with friends
Lake Forest, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed 2 weeks ago via mobile

Soo... We were a little leary to book due to all the mixed reviews..but pleasantly surprised!

Definitely a fun hipster scene.. Fuddy duddies should stay away or come and be ready to have fun!

Restaurant was great, bar was fun and relaxed. Nice heat lamps and fire pits. We loved the backgammon in the lobby too....

We had a room on the bottom floor facing the courtyard and pool. It was perfect...room and bed was comfy..

Friendly staff... We'll def return.

By the way..I stay at a lot hotels for work and pleasure... Marriotts and starwoods all over the world. Was compelled to write a review.. Because if you have an adventure side you, should give The Goodland a chance! Have fun!

Stayed April 2015, traveled as a couple
New York City, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 2 weeks ago

I absolutely adored this hotel! The staff was wonderful and made an effort to get to know me personally and was very helpful with providing information on the local area. They host a complimentary wine/cocktail hour every evening paired alongside some delicious shisito peppers and if you forget any travel essentials at home fear not as the front desk has absolutely everything you could possibly need and will provide those items to you at no additional cost.

I have read some of the other reviews on here and as for the negative ones or those who often stay at other Kimpton Hotels, know that this hotel is a bit different then those in New York or San Francisco. This is not a city hotel but is instead a 60's style surfer lodge and is a converted motel so don't expect the Four Seasons - think more of an Ace Hotel. The hotel is extremely charming and they did an amazing job renovating the hotel. The bed is extremely comfortable, the furniture is retro chic and I adored the record player and assortment of records in each room. The hotel even has a record concierge which I found to be very unique. The only con is that the walls are thin and you will likely be able to overhear your neighbors conversations but unfortunately thats what comes with an old building and the structure adds to the charming vibe of this hotel so I was able to overlook this.

The hotel also offers a great pool area complete with day beds and corn hole. They also have fireplaces/fire pits surrounding the property which make for a great place to have drinks at night and make new friends and also offer nightly events such as bingo and trivia as well as live music on the weekends.

The hotel is conveniently located fairly close to downtown Santa Barbara and you are also close to Refugio Beach and not too far from Santa Ynez Valley should you desire a wine tasting excursion. I spent 4 nights at this hotel and it was truly hard to leave. For those of us who want to feel like Gidget for a weekend, this is the spot!

Green Features: There is a recycling bin in each room which I loved and the hotel property is very eco-conscious.
  • Stayed January 2015, traveled with friends
Seth M, Manager at The Goodland, a Kimpton Hotel, responded to this review, 2 weeks ago
Hi Martina!

Such a great review and I am so excited that you were able to enjoy your stay and appreciate the Goodland experience. It sounds like you are a Kimpton Loyalist, that awesome and thank you for that! We look forward to you visiting The Goodland soon!

Seth
Colorado
3 of 5 stars Reviewed 3 weeks ago

Overall, we had a decent stay at this hotel, but there were a few disappointments. I booked the hotel through the name your own price route on priceline.com. I bid an amount we were comfortable with, and the bid was accepted! This usually works out really well for me. When we arrived at the hotel, we were hit with a surprise resort fee which came to an extra $100 for our 4 night stay. The girl at the front desk was quite rude and assured us this fee was mentioned on priceline. It was not. I've gone back and looked, just to be sure. It is mentioned when you book the hotel as an express deal, but not when naming your own price. She also did not provide us with any information on what the resort fee covered. We got that information later, from a much friendlier front desk clerk. The hotel was great for what I originally expected to pay, but for that extra $100, I would have much rather stayed elsewhere.

The room was nice. If you expect the luxury of an actual 4 star hotel though, I would not recommend staying here. The walls are thin, the bathroom hardly has any privacy (the door is cute but not functional, didn't even close completely), the carpet had several large stains. The bed was comfortable and clean, and the records and record player were a fun touch.

The pool area was a great place to relax. Very comfortable seating and a poolside server were a couple perks. One con though, you definitely pay 4 star resort prices! We were there over a holiday weekend, so it did get rather crowded, but it was still pretty nice. The restaurant had a great atmosphere, but we were slightly disappointed with the food.

This hotel is advertised as a 4 star boutique hotel. While it is charming, it does not stand up to any other 4 star I've stayed at. The location is not bad, but not the best either. For the most part, we had a pleasant stay, and I may or may not return to this hotel on my next trip out that direction.

Room Tip: request a room facing the pool
  • Stayed April 2015, traveled as a couple
Hello,
Thank you for your feedback regarding your stay. We have been on contact with priceline so that they can communicate our resort fee better. I am also sorry to see that your check in experience was not up to our standard. We are going back to address these issues and ensure that you are getting the quality of service that is expected at Kimpton and The Goodland. I hope that in the future you visit The Goodland again.

Seth

Been to The Goodland, a Kimpton Hotel? Share your experiences!