“Better than expected!! Fresh vibe!! We'll be back!” 4 of 5 stars
Review of The Goodland, a Kimpton Hotel

You added The Goodland, a Kimpton Hotel to your Saves list
The Goodland, a Kimpton Hotel
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   5650 Calle Real, Goleta, CA 93117 (Formerly Hotel Goleta)   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Spring Savings 15% off
Ranked #6 of 10 Hotels in Goleta
GreenLeadersSilver level
Lake Forest, California
“Better than expected!! Fresh vibe!! We'll be back!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed 2 days ago NEW via mobile

Soo... We were a little leary to book due to all the mixed reviews..but pleasantly surprised!

Definitely a fun hipster scene.. Fuddy duddies should stay away or come and be ready to have fun!

Restaurant was great, bar was fun and relaxed. Nice heat lamps and fire pits. We loved the backgammon in the lobby too....

We had a room on the bottom floor facing the courtyard and pool. It was perfect...room and bed was comfy..

Friendly staff... We'll def return.

By the way..I stay at a lot hotels for work and pleasure... Marriotts and starwoods all over the world. Was compelled to write a review.. Because if you have an adventure side you, should give The Goodland a chance! Have fun!

Stayed April 2015, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (32)
New York City, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 3 days ago NEW

I absolutely adored this hotel! The staff was wonderful and made an effort to get to know me personally and was very helpful with providing information on the local area. They host a complimentary wine/cocktail hour every evening paired alongside some delicious shisito peppers and if you forget any travel essentials at home fear not as the front desk has absolutely everything you could possibly need and will provide those items to you at no additional cost.

I have read some of the other reviews on here and as for the negative ones or those who often stay at other Kimpton Hotels, know that this hotel is a bit different then those in New York or San Francisco. This is not a city hotel but is instead a 60's style surfer lodge and is a converted motel so don't expect the Four Seasons - think more of an Ace Hotel. The hotel is extremely charming and they did an amazing job renovating the hotel. The bed is extremely comfortable, the furniture is retro chic and I adored the record player and assortment of records in each room. The hotel even has a record concierge which I found to be very unique. The only con is that the walls are thin and you will likely be able to overhear your neighbors conversations but unfortunately thats what comes with an old building and the structure adds to the charming vibe of this hotel so I was able to overlook this.

The hotel also offers a great pool area complete with day beds and corn hole. They also have fireplaces/fire pits surrounding the property which make for a great place to have drinks at night and make new friends and also offer nightly events such as bingo and trivia as well as live music on the weekends.

The hotel is conveniently located fairly close to downtown Santa Barbara and you are also close to Refugio Beach and not too far from Santa Ynez Valley should you desire a wine tasting excursion. I spent 4 nights at this hotel and it was truly hard to leave. For those of us who want to feel like Gidget for a weekend, this is the spot!

Green Features: There is a recycling bin in each room which I loved and the hotel property is very eco-conscious.
  • Stayed January 2015, traveled with friends
Seth M, Manager at The Goodland, a Kimpton Hotel, responded to this review, 2 days ago
Hi Martina!

Such a great review and I am so excited that you were able to enjoy your stay and appreciate the Goodland experience. It sounds like you are a Kimpton Loyalist, that awesome and thank you for that! We look forward to you visiting The Goodland soon!

Colorado
3 of 5 stars Reviewed 1 week ago

Overall, we had a decent stay at this hotel, but there were a few disappointments. I booked the hotel through the name your own price route on priceline.com. I bid an amount we were comfortable with, and the bid was accepted! This usually works out really well for me. When we arrived at the hotel, we were hit with a surprise resort fee which came to an extra $100 for our 4 night stay. The girl at the front desk was quite rude and assured us this fee was mentioned on priceline. It was not. I've gone back and looked, just to be sure. It is mentioned when you book the hotel as an express deal, but not when naming your own price. She also did not provide us with any information on what the resort fee covered. We got that information later, from a much friendlier front desk clerk. The hotel was great for what I originally expected to pay, but for that extra $100, I would have much rather stayed elsewhere.

The room was nice. If you expect the luxury of an actual 4 star hotel though, I would not recommend staying here. The walls are thin, the bathroom hardly has any privacy (the door is cute but not functional, didn't even close completely), the carpet had several large stains. The bed was comfortable and clean, and the records and record player were a fun touch.

The pool area was a great place to relax. Very comfortable seating and a poolside server were a couple perks. One con though, you definitely pay 4 star resort prices! We were there over a holiday weekend, so it did get rather crowded, but it was still pretty nice. The restaurant had a great atmosphere, but we were slightly disappointed with the food.

This hotel is advertised as a 4 star boutique hotel. While it is charming, it does not stand up to any other 4 star I've stayed at. The location is not bad, but not the best either. For the most part, we had a pleasant stay, and I may or may not return to this hotel on my next trip out that direction.

Room Tip: request a room facing the pool
  • Stayed April 2015, traveled as a couple
Hello,
Thank you for your feedback regarding your stay. We have been on contact with priceline so that they can communicate our resort fee better. I am also sorry to see that your check in experience was not up to our standard. We are going back to address these issues and ensure that you are getting the quality of service that is expected at Kimpton and The Goodland. I hope that in the future you visit The Goodland again.

New York City, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 1 week ago

I found this hotel on Hotels Tonight and for the deal we got, we were SO pleasantly surprised. I love Kimpton hotels and this one didn't disappoint. The decor was so chic and retro fabulous, and the service was friendly and helpful. The food was inventive - some was great and some was a little off, but we really liked it. The bar at night was very busy, but when we got a spot, the drinks were great.

The rooms and bathrooms were impeccable save the dirty carpets. We asked about those and they are being replaced with wood floors! So, the next visit will be even better. It is true that the windows look out onto the parking lot, so for any privacy you do have to keep the blinds closed. That didn't bother us, because we were only in the room at night. We spent the daylight in Santa Barbara or in the lounge by the pool.

Since hotels in Santa Barbara are so expensive, this is a great option for anyone visiting SB, Los Olivos, Santa Inez wineries, etc.

Room Tip: 2nd floor rooms have more privacy. Rooms overlooking pool are better than those overlooking parking...
  • Stayed April 2015, traveled as a couple
Wow!

Great to read about your positive experience, this feedback is amazing and I thank you for sharing. We are excited for your return visit!

Los Angeles, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed 1 week ago

My fiance and I stayed here for a night earlier this year. A few of my family members were also staying there in other rooms. I paid around $225, but my aunt said she got a better deal with one of those name-your-own-price sites.

I love the Kimpton brand, and this place lives up to their other hotels I've stayed in. I really liked the converted motel feel. They did a good job making it feel updated and keeping the character. I was checked in by a nice fellow and an adorable dog at the front desk. He was very friendly and made sure I had all I needed. I also had my dog with me and he offered dog bowls and a bed. Love that this place is pet-friendly.

The room was clean and decorated nicely. We listened to some of the records they provide, although one was bent so it didn't play right. No big deal. The rest of the grounds look beautiful.. would love to hang out at the pool and eat at the restaurant, but didn't have time.

The location was fine. Nothing much around, but it's not far from Santa Barbara. I didn't find the drive inconvenient to our activities in Santa Barbara.

I would love to stay here again, but it looks like prices have gone way up for the peak season. Not sure I'd want to pay more than what I did.

• Stayed January 2015, traveled with family
Hello,

Thank you for your feedback regarding your stay and the comments about your check in experience. Our Director of Pet Relations, Bailey loves to hang out and say hi to our guests. We hope that you can visit again soon.

san diego
2 of 5 stars Reviewed 2 weeks ago

My husband and I spent one night at The Goodland. There were some good points and some bad points about the hotel/staff.

PROS: The best part of our stay was the comfortable bed. The sheets were clean, and the mattress and pillows were comfortable. The room and bathroom were very clean (except for the carpet). The decor is updated and modern, not your cookie-cutter hotel furnishings. The bathroom fixtures were all new and were spotless.

CONS: The front desk employees really didn't seem to care that we were their guests. I asked for an upstairs room at checkin, and were then assigned a downstairs room. Once we realized the room was a downstairs room, we were a bit far from the lobby so we decided to check it out to see if it would work. The carpet was stained which basically turned us off. So I went back to the lobby and requested a different room. The employee argued with me about whether I had requested an upstairs room. (Since this is basically a converted motel where you park directly outside the rooms, I am sure that I was clear that I wanted an upper level room.) So the employee (who BTW seemed more like a college student, rather than a hotel professional) got us another room. When we entered the second room, the floor was stained as well. (The carpet is very light so stains were visible....I'm sure many hotels have stained carpet, but you just can't see the stains because most hotels pick darker carpet....) By that time we were tired and just decided to stay.

The chair in the room has large ropes going over the arm piece which makes it quite uncomfortable (Normally we don't hang out in our room, but my husband was watching March Madness, and found the chair to be extremely uncomfortable.)

The shower was very nice, except here is a place that you can tell that they did not go the extra mile to truly convert this motel to a hotel. The hand controls are at knee level (which is probably where the old tub faucet was located.)

Resort Fee.....REALLY???? This is NOT a resort.

Upon checkout, I asked if there was breakfast and the girl behind the counter said our room included a $20 credit for breakfast. At that point I was pretty annoyed at the cost of this night so I asked if I could just have her credit my account and she said it was part of the room rate that I had booked. I asked if she could change it, and she said "No."

So I think the total charge was $383 for my one night stay in an updated motel. My review would have been different if I had paid $200 for this room. It's an OK place to stay, but it is really OVERPRICED! (The following 5 nights I stayed at 3 different hotels/inns and paid an average of $400 each night, so I am wiling to pay this rate, but I want to get what I pay for.)

Stayed April 2015, traveled as a couple
Hello,

Thank you for your detailed review of The Goodland. Your comments about our product is appreciated and while there are some things that we cannot change (height of the shower controls) I am very disappointed to read about your experience during check and check out. We will be using your comments during retraining of the team to ensure this does not happen again. I hope that in the future you can give The Goodland another try.

SurreyMBAGuy
3 of 5 stars Reviewed 2 weeks ago

This place is just a dolled up motel. It has its pros and cons.

On the positive side - it's recently been done up and it's really clean. Bathroom was impeccable and though the carpet was a bit grubby, nothing to get emotional about.

I spent 7 nights in this place, and fortunately i didn't have to actually spend much time in the actual hotel. The room itself is dark and has huge windows looking out onto the parking lot (as motels do) so you have to have the blinds pulled down when you're in the room (i.e. no natural light).

My room had a terribly noisy air-conditioning unit and it was difficult to sleep with it turned on. Also, there was a gap between the door and the frame, and cold wind kept coming in and making the room cold - so for a period, I kept turning on the heating/aircon unit to warm the room up, then turning it of hoping to fall asleep before the room went back to freezing again.

Location-wise, nothing in the area apart from a Denny's across the road. And some other fast-food places nearby.

It's ok for the price, and if you're only staying the night, I guess it's alright. For anything more, you would do good to reconsider your options.

Room Tip: Ask for a room overlooking the pool, or at least on the first floor - not the ground floor.
  • Stayed February 2015, traveled on business
Hello,

Thank you for your feedback regarding your stay at The Goodland. We appreciate your comments about the doors and A/C unit. We are currently looking at ideas on rectifying the gaps between the doors and the frames. We hope that in the future you can stay and enjoy all that the Goodland has to offer.

Best,

Seth

Been to The Goodland, a Kimpton Hotel? Share your experiences!