“Not a bad stay” 3 of 5 stars
Review of The Goodland, a Kimpton Hotel

You added The Goodland, a Kimpton Hotel to your Saves list
The Goodland, a Kimpton Hotel
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   5650 Calle Real, Goleta, CA 93117 (Formerly Hotel Goleta)   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Spring Savings 15% off
Ranked #6 of 10 Hotels in Goleta
GreenLeadersSilver level
Colorado
“Not a bad stay”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed 1 week ago

Overall, we had a decent stay at this hotel, but there were a few disappointments. I booked the hotel through the name your own price route on priceline.com. I bid an amount we were comfortable with, and the bid was accepted! This usually works out really well for me. When we arrived at the hotel, we were hit with a surprise resort fee which came to an extra $100 for our 4 night stay. The girl at the front desk was quite rude and assured us this fee was mentioned on priceline. It was not. I've gone back and looked, just to be sure. It is mentioned when you book the hotel as an express deal, but not when naming your own price. She also did not provide us with any information on what the resort fee covered. We got that information later, from a much friendlier front desk clerk. The hotel was great for what I originally expected to pay, but for that extra $100, I would have much rather stayed elsewhere.

The room was nice. If you expect the luxury of an actual 4 star hotel though, I would not recommend staying here. The walls are thin, the bathroom hardly has any privacy (the door is cute but not functional, didn't even close completely), the carpet had several large stains. The bed was comfortable and clean, and the records and record player were a fun touch.

The pool area was a great place to relax. Very comfortable seating and a poolside server were a couple perks. One con though, you definitely pay 4 star resort prices! We were there over a holiday weekend, so it did get rather crowded, but it was still pretty nice. The restaurant had a great atmosphere, but we were slightly disappointed with the food.

This hotel is advertised as a 4 star boutique hotel. While it is charming, it does not stand up to any other 4 star I've stayed at. The location is not bad, but not the best either. For the most part, we had a pleasant stay, and I may or may not return to this hotel on my next trip out that direction.

Room Tip: request a room facing the pool
  • Stayed April 2015, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (32)
New York City, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 1 week ago

I found this hotel on Hotels Tonight and for the deal we got, we were SO pleasantly surprised. I love Kimpton hotels and this one didn't disappoint. The decor was so chic and retro fabulous, and the service was friendly and helpful. The food was inventive - some was great and some was a little off, but we really liked it. The bar at night was very busy, but when we got a spot, the drinks were great.

The rooms and bathrooms were impeccable save the dirty carpets. We asked about those and they are being replaced with wood floors! So, the next visit will be even better. It is true that the windows look out onto the parking lot, so for any privacy you do have to keep the blinds closed. That didn't bother us, because we were only in the room at night. We spent the daylight in Santa Barbara or in the lounge by the pool.

Since hotels in Santa Barbara are so expensive, this is a great option for anyone visiting SB, Los Olivos, Santa Inez wineries, etc.

Room Tip: 2nd floor rooms have more privacy. Rooms overlooking pool are better than those overlooking parking...
  • Stayed April 2015, traveled as a couple
Los Angeles, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed 1 week ago

My fiance and I stayed here for a night earlier this year. A few of my family members were also staying there in other rooms. I paid around $225, but my aunt said she got a better deal with one of those name-your-own-price sites.

I love the Kimpton brand, and this place lives up to their other hotels I've stayed in. I really liked the converted motel feel. They did a good job making it feel updated and keeping the character. I was checked in by a nice fellow and an adorable dog at the front desk. He was very friendly and made sure I had all I needed. I also had my dog with me and he offered dog bowls and a bed. Love that this place is pet-friendly.

The room was clean and decorated nicely. We listened to some of the records they provide, although one was bent so it didn't play right. No big deal. The rest of the grounds look beautiful.. would love to hang out at the pool and eat at the restaurant, but didn't have time.

The location was fine. Nothing much around, but it's not far from Santa Barbara. I didn't find the drive inconvenient to our activities in Santa Barbara.

I would love to stay here again, but it looks like prices have gone way up for the peak season. Not sure I'd want to pay more than what I did.

• Stayed January 2015, traveled with family
san diego
2 of 5 stars Reviewed 1 week ago

My husband and I spent one night at The Goodland. There were some good points and some bad points about the hotel/staff.

PROS: The best part of our stay was the comfortable bed. The sheets were clean, and the mattress and pillows were comfortable. The room and bathroom were very clean (except for the carpet). The decor is updated and modern, not your cookie-cutter hotel furnishings. The bathroom fixtures were all new and were spotless.

CONS: The front desk employees really didn't seem to care that we were their guests. I asked for an upstairs room at checkin, and were then assigned a downstairs room. Once we realized the room was a downstairs room, we were a bit far from the lobby so we decided to check it out to see if it would work. The carpet was stained which basically turned us off. So I went back to the lobby and requested a different room. The employee argued with me about whether I had requested an upstairs room. (Since this is basically a converted motel where you park directly outside the rooms, I am sure that I was clear that I wanted an upper level room.) So the employee (who BTW seemed more like a college student, rather than a hotel professional) got us another room. When we entered the second room, the floor was stained as well. (The carpet is very light so stains were visible....I'm sure many hotels have stained carpet, but you just can't see the stains because most hotels pick darker carpet....) By that time we were tired and just decided to stay.

The chair in the room has large ropes going over the arm piece which makes it quite uncomfortable (Normally we don't hang out in our room, but my husband was watching March Madness, and found the chair to be extremely uncomfortable.)

The shower was very nice, except here is a place that you can tell that they did not go the extra mile to truly convert this motel to a hotel. The hand controls are at knee level (which is probably where the old tub faucet was located.)

Resort Fee.....REALLY???? This is NOT a resort.

Upon checkout, I asked if there was breakfast and the girl behind the counter said our room included a $20 credit for breakfast. At that point I was pretty annoyed at the cost of this night so I asked if I could just have her credit my account and she said it was part of the room rate that I had booked. I asked if she could change it, and she said "No."

So I think the total charge was $383 for my one night stay in an updated motel. My review would have been different if I had paid $200 for this room. It's an OK place to stay, but it is really OVERPRICED! (The following 5 nights I stayed at 3 different hotels/inns and paid an average of $400 each night, so I am wiling to pay this rate, but I want to get what I pay for.)

Stayed April 2015, traveled as a couple
SurreyMBAGuy
3 of 5 stars Reviewed 1 week ago

This place is just a dolled up motel. It has its pros and cons.

On the positive side - it's recently been done up and it's really clean. Bathroom was impeccable and though the carpet was a bit grubby, nothing to get emotional about.

I spent 7 nights in this place, and fortunately i didn't have to actually spend much time in the actual hotel. The room itself is dark and has huge windows looking out onto the parking lot (as motels do) so you have to have the blinds pulled down when you're in the room (i.e. no natural light).

My room had a terribly noisy air-conditioning unit and it was difficult to sleep with it turned on. Also, there was a gap between the door and the frame, and cold wind kept coming in and making the room cold - so for a period, I kept turning on the heating/aircon unit to warm the room up, then turning it of hoping to fall asleep before the room went back to freezing again.

Location-wise, nothing in the area apart from a Denny's across the road. And some other fast-food places nearby.

It's ok for the price, and if you're only staying the night, I guess it's alright. For anything more, you would do good to reconsider your options.

Room Tip: Ask for a room overlooking the pool, or at least on the first floor - not the ground floor.
  • Stayed February 2015, traveled on business
Oakland, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 2 weeks ago

I stayed at the The Goodland recently for work and was pleasantly surprised by the spacious, modern rooms as well as the great attitude of the staff. By my own fault I had reserved the wrong room and the front desk was super friendly and willing to help accommodate me (even though the booking issue was 100% my fault!)

Bottom line this is an excellent hotel to stay in if you're exploring the Santa Barbara or Goleta with plenty of parking, a really nice bar and super comfortable rooms.

Room Tip: I will say, if you're traveling for work, don't get a room that faces the pool as they do te...
  • Stayed March 2015, traveled on business
Carlsbad, California
3 of 5 stars Reviewed 2 weeks ago

For the price (on the expensive side at $303/night incl all the crazy feed) it was at first underwhelming. From the outside it looks like an old Motel that you drive up and park outside your room. On the insides they've spent time and money decorating nicely (hip) and it was very clean. The bed was really good with great linens. Internet was 4.8mb upload and download so better than most hotels I've been to. It was very quiet except for when someone would walk past your room on the concrete walkway.

Bottom line is we that, for the price, this is not a "have to return" to place. It was nice and that they allowed a one night stay was nice and filled our need, but we aren't dying to return.

Stayed March 2015, traveled as a couple

Been to The Goodland, a Kimpton Hotel? Share your experiences!